Author Topic: CTC rebranding  (Read 55214 times)

Re: CTC rebranding
« Reply #525 on: 26 April, 2017, 10:52:38 pm »
(Because we don't seem to have an 'on the road things which are too small...' thread)

My local CTC member group just voted to become an affiliate group instead. The only change for me is that at some point I will have to pay an extra £2 p.a. for membership of the affiliated group to ride with them, as I will be remaining a CUK member for other reasons.

I can see why they voted as they did, but was slightly saddened to read this in the minutes:

It is very sad that the group is winding up but CTC has moved on and so has cycling. CTC no longer represents what most cyclists do.

I'd agree with the first part, but not the second; IMHO CUK has a broader more inclusive vision of cycling than most member groups, who are by their very nature mostly Proper Cyclists if not Cycling Old Farts (though admittedly my local group does run reasonably successful families rides.)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #526 on: 27 April, 2017, 08:52:56 am »
Yes it is sad.

This seems to be part of a pattern, maybe it's human nature, or just cyclists. Groups form and they like to think they are special. One way of affirming this is to rebel against some ancient/national institution.

If you're a MAMIL (or other flavour of old fart - like me!) then it feels kinda cool to reject a governing body.
- What are you rebelling against?
- What've you got?
- The CTC!

(James Dean would have made a great MAMIL)

Meanwhile, British Cycling have used the marketing power of Sky/Wiggo/Trott/Boardman to seem like a new, young and cool club to affiliate to. A neat trick.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #527 on: 27 April, 2017, 09:13:02 am »
CUK has a broader more inclusive vision of cycling than most member groups

I suspect this is part of the problem. It implies a lack of focus.

Compare and contrast with Audax UK, which is thriving (afaict) and one of the reasons for that is its very narrow focus - although there are some disagreements about the organisation's aims and objectives, it has a clearly defined reason for existing.

BC has the advantage of being the sport's official national governing body, which gives it a fairly clear purpose, even though it covers everything from track racing to MTB and BMX.

CUK, on the other hand, seems a bit vague. Many cyclists struggle to identify with it - which is partly a failure of marketing, since it does have something to offer most cyclists, even the MAMILs.

BC's GoRide activities are an example of the kind of thing CUK perhaps ought to be doing - they're not so tightly defined but they're clearly branded as a range of activities suitable for beginners, kids and less confident cyclists - and they're incredibly popular.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #528 on: 27 April, 2017, 09:17:35 am »

I can't agree with that. MAMILs are a pretty reactionary bunch.

How is joining an official national sporting body sponsored by global megacorporations an act of rebellion?

I also don't think people are rebelling against the CTC, they just don't see it as relevant to them.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #529 on: 27 April, 2017, 09:34:29 am »
How is joining an official national sporting body sponsored by global megacorporations an act of rebellion?

I have no idea! What I said was that BC are seen as cool by many cyclists.

(One could argue that - being a minority - anything cyclists do is rebellious in the grander scheme. But I sympathise with your post!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #530 on: 27 April, 2017, 10:02:17 am »
If you're a MAMIL (or other flavour of old fart - like me!) then it feels kinda cool to reject a governing body.
- What've you got?
- The CTC!

That was Marlon Brando. I see James Dean as a track racer, particularly in the six day events, taciturn but lethally aggressive. Brando is more of a sportive rider or perhaps an audaxer with a hidden past as a roadie in a minor Belgian pro team. Marilyn Monroe would be pushing her bike more than riding it. Audrey Hepburn as the chic lady in floaty dress and summer hat around town on an upright bike with wicker basket.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #531 on: 27 April, 2017, 10:03:42 am »
(Because we don't seem to have an 'on the road things which are too small...' thread)
It's in Freewheeling.
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=98300.0

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #532 on: 27 April, 2017, 10:34:15 am »
- What've you got?
- The CTC!

That was Marlon Brando. I see James Dean as a track racer, particularly in the six day events, taciturn but lethally aggressive. Brando is more of a sportive rider or perhaps an audaxer with a hidden past as a roadie in a minor Belgian pro team. Marilyn Monroe would be pushing her bike more than riding it. Audrey Hepburn as the chic lady in floaty dress and summer hat around town on an upright bike with wicker basket.

You are of course correct (on all points).

For decades I thought that was a James Dean line. Serves me right for quoting a film I've never taken the trouble to watch  :facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #533 on: 27 April, 2017, 10:53:51 am »
I've never seen it either.  ;)

On the original point about the CTC/CUK no longer representing what most cyclists do, I think it's pretty much as Citoyen has said. In trying to become a champion for everyone who rides a bike or might like to, it has lost much of its connection with its original base (although the magazine still seems to be mostly aimed at serious enthusiasts rather than plain users of bicycles). As someone local said, campaigning and representation is all good and indeed necessary "but why does my club have to become like this?" So you've got local "clubs" with "members" and a national "organisation" with "supporters". There must be some way to bridge the gap but it doesn't seem to have been done yet.

« Reply #534 on: 28 April, 2017, 07:00:27 pm »
I've not given this a lot of thought but I was instinctively disappointed to receive the e-mail offering members 10% off at Halfords.  I'm not hypocritical about this, there is occasionally something I get from Halfords such as a emergency brake blocks and I certainly use them for browsing but I wonder what CTC's attitude is towards local bike shops and people who actually know things?

Peter