Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020  (Read 135219 times)

whosatthewheel

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2018
« Reply #75 on: 20 August, 2017, 01:59:07 pm »
For the benefit of the all forum, what are you talking about? What Caving Club are we talking about here? I can't follow you

To be honest, I don't think detail is going to benefit anyone ...

I suspect that mattc was talking about a particular rider with a twin reputation for being, um, careful, and a robust caver. I assume that said rider has previously booked accommodation in caving club huts near to whatever event he plans to ride, paying whatever modest sum he is charged as a guest with reciprocal rights as a member of his own local club.

I've wondered about doing something similar using mountaineering club huts, but have never quite got round to it.

I found it impossible to book a Travelodge or similar budget hotel en route the Flatlands 600 (hence didn't enter), I wonder how easy it would be to find a Caving club en route an Audax   ::-)
On the flatlands? Impossible I imagine.

I was looking around Lincoln, but I think there is an air show going on or something, all booked up. The closest available was around Spalding, but I worked out it was too far, or too close to the finish, depending which way you want to look at it

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #76 on: 20 August, 2017, 03:12:18 pm »

I found it impossible to book a Travelodge or similar budget hotel en route the Flatlands 600 (hence didn't enter),

There's always a bivvy bag and a hedge

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #77 on: 20 August, 2017, 03:29:59 pm »
I understand the need for the team to get entries in early in order to cover costs but I do wonder why AUK cannot provide a loan for a period of time. This would mean the BCM team wouldn't be out of pocket for a large part of the year and entries could be accepted from, say, January 2018.

Anyway, this happened earlier today.

Are you sure you have got enough postage on that? Last year my entry got stuck at the post office with a note sent to the event org to collect it and pay the extra which they understandably didn't...
Regards,

Joergen

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #78 on: 20 August, 2017, 03:41:00 pm »
Are you sure you have got enough postage on that? Last year my entry got stuck at the post office with a note sent to the event org to collect it and pay the extra which they understandably didn't...
I think (hope) so.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

whosatthewheel

« Reply #79 on: 20 August, 2017, 03:52:05 pm »

I found it impossible to book a Travelodge or similar budget hotel en route the Flatlands 600 (hence didn't enter),

There's always a bivvy bag and a hedge

Sure... but if I have to do that (and I doubt I'd do that), then I'd rather do it as a DIY at my convenience and plan it well ahead. At the moment I have no appetite for bus shelters and hedges.

« Reply #80 on: 20 August, 2017, 05:01:13 pm »

[/quote]

This is why I love Audax

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #81 on: 20 August, 2017, 05:07:24 pm »
This is why I love Audax

And why I prefer online entries.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

whosatthewheel

« Reply #82 on: 20 August, 2017, 05:16:51 pm »
Is it one of those "not to do" things to enquire with the organiser whether he received the entry?

I suppose a reasonably updated list of entrants (even just AUK numbers if people are concerned about privacy) would be handy...

« Reply #83 on: 20 August, 2017, 05:55:39 pm »
You can always send entry with proof of delivery without having to get the recipient to sign for it.

« Reply #84 on: 20 August, 2017, 05:57:13 pm »
Is it one of those "not to do" things to enquire with the organiser whether he received the entry?

I suppose a reasonably updated list of entrants (even just AUK numbers if people are concerned about privacy) would be handy...

You could check to see if your cheque gets banked

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #85 on: 20 August, 2017, 06:12:09 pm »
You could weigh it and put the proper stamp on it.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #86 on: 20 August, 2017, 06:12:19 pm »
I can't commit to entering an event this far out - I'm one of a family of four and the schedules for their interests and events aren't published until next year - if the BCM clashes with certain rowing regattas or trampoline events then I'd be a DNS. 

But then the BCM is a very popular event and does have more services and costs than most so I can see the organisers point.  My only hope is that all 600s don't go this way and have early closing dates.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

whosatthewheel

« Reply #87 on: 20 August, 2017, 06:15:42 pm »

You could check to see if your cheque gets banked

True... I'll wait a few weeks before enquiring if not

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #88 on: 20 August, 2017, 06:24:21 pm »
You can always send entry with proof of delivery without having to get the recipient to sign for it.
The entry could still go astray between letterbox and the organiser's start list. Shit happens.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #89 on: 20 August, 2017, 06:34:46 pm »
Very true, but at least you will know about that rather than just hoping that all is well.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #90 on: 20 August, 2017, 07:20:19 pm »
probably easier to just ask... the downside of postal entry is harassment, I suppose

« Reply #91 on: 20 August, 2017, 07:22:06 pm »
probably easier to just ask... the downside of postal entry is harassment, I suppose

Very true and org is probably busy enough. Simple request at post office moves the hassle from them to you.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #92 on: 20 August, 2017, 07:29:52 pm »
You could weigh it and put the proper stamp on it.

The thing is, it's not just weight these days.

It's dimensions too.
This includes fatness.
If the envelope won't fit through a slot in their plastic template thing, it needs a 'large letter' stamp.

The fatness test is the usual problem with Audax entries, as a C5 envelope with a folded sheet of A4 and 2 more folded C5 envelopes inside can bloat out a bit.
Different Post Offices seem to take different views on how easily the envelope should pass through the test slot.
Some will accept a reasonable shove, and others will require nothing but gravity.

As a general rule, I put Large Letter stamps on the entry, and on both SAEs, since they can contain brevet cards, route sheets, receipts etc; and I don't want to be bothering the org with underpaid postage.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #93 on: 20 August, 2017, 08:15:25 pm »
Nice exercise in overthinking it... ;D

I have sent it already, I think it will be fine. I will double check in a few weeks just to be sure

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #94 on: 20 August, 2017, 08:24:08 pm »
Pedants of the world unite.

« Reply #95 on: 20 August, 2017, 11:20:36 pm »
I took my entry into the post office on Thursday, had it weighed and they said a 1st class stamp was fine.  I assume it arrived ok as I can see the BCM is now showing in my calendar in the members area of the Audax UK website.

« Reply #96 on: 20 August, 2017, 11:31:12 pm »
From the calendar page:

This list should not be seen as proof of entry. It simply shows the rides that you chose to add to your calendar along with any events you clicked the 'Enter this event' button for.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #97 on: 21 August, 2017, 06:24:28 am »
I took my entry into the post office on Thursday, had it weighed and they said a 1st class stamp was fine.  I assume it arrived ok as I can see the BCM is now showing in my calendar in the members area of the Audax UK website.

That happened automatically when you downloaded the entry form... mine was on well before I posted the entry...  ;D

« Reply #98 on: 21 August, 2017, 02:23:27 pm »

That happened automatically when you downloaded the entry form... mine was on well before I posted the entry...  ;D

So, no one is actually sure of their entry until they receive .  . . . . . . . . ?  A route sheet, or some form of confirmation?
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

simonp

« Reply #99 on: 21 August, 2017, 02:31:02 pm »
I'd paid by PayPal for an event this year but wasn't on the start list. These things can happen.