Author Topic: Readers' Instruments  (Read 164550 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Readers' Instruments
« Reply #400 on: 18 December, 2023, 09:56:17 am »
I have a Flyspeck headphone amp from the 1980s.  It probably needs Kim or someone to look at it, since the hiss is atrocious.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #401 on: 18 December, 2023, 10:41:03 am »
Kim: scaring electronics into working properly just by giving them a Hard Stare?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #402 on: 18 December, 2023, 11:33:20 am »
Kim would probably connect it to the Internet Of Shit so it orders an unusually disgusting Deliveroo from "Louisiana Fried Roadkill" when you play the chords from Stairway To Heaven.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #403 on: 18 December, 2023, 11:41:25 am »
Kim would probably connect it to the Internet Of Shit so it orders an unusually disgusting Deliveroo from "Louisiana Fried Roadkill" when you play the chords from Stairway To Heaven.

A fair and proportionate response I think

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #404 on: 20 December, 2023, 06:12:35 pm »
PaulF & pcolbeck: you've got me watching YouTube reviews of effects units now!  ;D

The Sonicake Matribox (who thinks up these names?) has a lot of feature for not very many beer tokens. Here's a review.

I have a Flyspeck headphone amp from the 1980s.  It probably needs Kim or someone to look at it, since the hiss is atrocious.

The Yamaha SVs have a headphone amp built in, which is nice.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #405 on: 21 December, 2023, 05:22:41 pm »
The last couple of years multi-fx / amp / cab modellers have gone silly (in a good way). What would have costs thousands and thousands of pounds and required a whole 19 inch rack of effects is suddenly available for around £300 and smaller subsets for £100.
Boss have just released the IR-2 which basically provides studio quality amp modelling of 10 amps plus loadable cabinet IRs and a stereo effects loop in the same format as one of their famous stomp boxes and it costs £150! Bonkers.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #406 on: 22 December, 2023, 12:15:11 pm »
My new (to me) alto sax.  Had to be mine after the first note.  Gorgeous sound.  A partner for my Yamaha alto and tenor saxes.

1924/5 ish Conn New Wonder II alto.  Aka a Chu Berry.

20231209_100211 by AndyFtheflyer, on Flickr

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #407 on: 22 December, 2023, 12:39:19 pm »
I used to play one of them.

I stick to modern ones now.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #408 on: 22 December, 2023, 03:30:40 pm »
Nice. How does it differ from a modern instrument?

As mentioned upthread, Woofage jnr plays a 1940s HN White King Zephyr which is a lovely instrument. Apparently there's a minor difference in the keys at the back when compared to a modern alto but not so much as it makes it difficult to play.
Pen Pusher

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #409 on: 22 December, 2023, 04:53:59 pm »
It's just different - quite a rich tone, I'm not musical enough to elaborate!  The register key is tricky - getting used to it slowly.  It needs only the slightest touch of your thumb to operate and if you don't get the thumb off completely it messes up lower G.  The g# is different and although the main keys are the same there are other small differences, like the alternative f# key.  It'll take me a bit of time though as I'm concentrating on my Yamaha tenor for this year's Grade 5 exams.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #410 on: 10 March, 2024, 09:54:07 am »
Passing our old office store-room half an hour ago I noticed a dusty old guitar-case leaning up against the wall.  Couldn't remember if there was anything in it and almost went on into my own office, then opened it anyway and discovered a BM Malaga entry-level classical guitar I bought almost 50 years ago to replace one I'd had to leave behind during one of our Citroën-Dyane-borne country-to-country removals - IIRC its usual place in the car was taken up by a nearly-new nipper.

Anyway, even as a "vintage concert guitar" I doubt if it would fetch 400€ these days - I think it cost around £25 - but that doesn't stop it having a beautiful tone and a lovely low action - possibly just the thing I need to start playing again. I stopped a few years ago once my hands became too shaky to find a chord reliably, but I think it will be a lot more forgiving than the guitars I've had since.  Here's hoping.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #411 on: 13 March, 2024, 09:04:59 am »
Just getting used to a new mando. Handmade, very lightweight, but lovely sustain so that stopped notes really ring on.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #412 on: 13 March, 2024, 09:18:02 am »
Just getting used to a new mando. Handmade, very lightweight, but lovely sustain so that stopped notes really ring on.

That sounds like we need to hear it, not just see it.