Author Topic: Giro d'Italia....LIVE  (Read 8779 times)

Re: Giro d'Italia....LIVE
« Reply #25 on: 17 May, 2009, 04:49:48 pm »
I've given up on mine.  ADSL line couldn't cope and I was sick of the intermittent coverage.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #26 on: 17 May, 2009, 05:02:33 pm »
I've given up on mine.  ADSL line couldn't cope and I was sick of the intermittent coverage.
Worked fine for me. Just a shame the "race" was so dull.

At least Cav got a win.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #27 on: 17 May, 2009, 05:04:33 pm »
Worked fine for me. Just a shame the "race" was so dull.

At least Cav got a win.

Yippee !!

« Reply #28 on: 17 May, 2009, 06:56:53 pm »
videozone

Nice overheard clear coverage at the end of this one.  You can see when Cavendish puts the power down and he moves away slightly from Davis.

It starts with the protest so make sure you click on the Giro: laatste kilometer van de 9e etappe

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #29 on: 17 May, 2009, 08:04:57 pm »
You sure they weren't just protesting about Lance's colour scheme on his bike?

« Reply #30 on: 18 May, 2009, 08:41:23 am »
From cyclingnews.com concerning the overhead footage as above - a quote from Allan Davis.

"Columbia and Garmin were quite organised," Davis told Cyclingnews. "I had to be at the front and I got to the last kilometre up there with Fabian Cancellara. I managed to get on Cavendish's wheel but I wasted energy to pass." The TV images from the helicopter were quite spectacular as Davis and Goss fought for positioning using their arms and heads. "It's part of sprinting," Davis said. "In the sprint in Trieste, I got head punches from a couple of riders as well. I'm good friend with Gossy, there won't be any problem." ;D

« Reply #31 on: 19 May, 2009, 02:29:05 pm »
Some wonderful views on todays Giro, main peleton has just passed through Sestriere.
Todays stage replicates Coppi's epic 1949 ride.

ChrisO

« Reply #32 on: 25 May, 2009, 09:53:41 am »
Baffling end to yesterday's stage, which I was able to watch for a change, being back in London.

Two men out in front - Bertagnolli and Pauwells -  goodgap and just a descent and fairly flat 10km to the finish.

Pauwells is looking stronger but then starts to sit up and wait. Apparently he was ordered by his team (Cervelo) to wait for Carlos Sastre, who was a few minutes back with the race leaders.

In the end Pauwells rode with a group between the breakaway and the leaders, so Sastre didn't catch him, and he came second, about 30 secs behind Bertagnoli.

The only effect was to blow his chance of a stage win as it looked like he could have beaten Bertagnolli to the line.

Either there was some team deal to let Bertagnolli win or they didn't want Pauwells to win, but it killed the race and was a very odd decision.

Race radios have a lot to answer for.

« Reply #33 on: 25 May, 2009, 11:17:06 am »
Some wonderful views on todays Giro, main peleton has just passed through Sestriere.
Todays stage replicates Coppi's epic 1949 ride.
As originally intended it replicated Coppi's ride, but between road closure and a decision not to go into France (some dispute about radio frequencies apparently) it ended up completely different.

« Reply #34 on: 25 May, 2009, 12:36:57 pm »
Baffling end to yesterday's stage, which I was able to watch for a change, being back in London.

Two men out in front - Bertagnolli and Pauwells -  goodgap and just a descent and fairly flat 10km to the finish.

Pauwells is looking stronger but then starts to sit up and wait. Apparently he was ordered by his team (Cervelo) to wait for Carlos Sastre, who was a few minutes back with the race leaders.

In the end Pauwells rode with a group between the breakaway and the leaders, so Sastre didn't catch him, and he came second, about 30 secs behind Bertagnoli.

The only effect was to blow his chance of a stage win as it looked like he could have beaten Bertagnolli to the line.

Either there was some team deal to let Bertagnolli win or they didn't want Pauwells to win, but it killed the race and was a very odd decision.

A sceptic would wonder if placing in the top three and therefore being subjected to a drugs test was a consideration in this decision?

« Reply #35 on: 25 May, 2009, 01:16:09 pm »

A sceptic would wonder if placing in the top three and therefore being subjected to a drugs test was a consideration in this decision?

He wouldn't have gone for second in that case.

Even Van poppel says that in retrospect it was not the right decision. However, as Pauwells has said, he is there to support his leader, not to win stages. The first rule of being a pro is that you do as you are told. Maybe Van Poppel felt Pauwells needed a reinforcement of this understanding? If Sastre was asking on race radio for Pauwells to come back, then Van Poppel would have had to respond. If I had been managing I would have had Pauwells stop at the side of the road and wait for his team leader if that was what was required.

ChrisO

« Reply #36 on: 25 May, 2009, 02:30:18 pm »
Yebbut they were under 15km from the finish and Sastre was already over the top of the last climb in the group with the main leaders.

Any attack by Menchov, Leipheimer etc would be marked by multiple other riders, as when Basso was hauled back. They weren't hammering the pace either.

What could Sastre have possibly needed help for ? My mum could have made it to the line in that group.

And although Pauwells sat up they still weren't going to catch him for several kilometres, unless as you said he simply stopped and waited. Hardly an edifying spectacle - telling riders to stop racing.

I think teams should have some sense of obligation to the integrity of the race. Remember the kerfuffle about the F1 team (I forget which) supposedly telling the driver in front to let his teammate through so he could gain more points.

I know they have to follow orders - that's why race radios should be banned.

« Reply #37 on: 25 May, 2009, 03:05:46 pm »
Yebbut they were under 15km from the finish and Sastre was already over the top of the last climb in the group with the main leaders.

Any attack by Menchov, Leipheimer etc would be marked by multiple other riders, as when Basso was hauled back. They weren't hammering the pace either.

What could Sastre have possibly needed help for ? My mum could have made it to the line in that group.

And although Pauwells sat up they still weren't going to catch him for several kilometres, unless as you said he simply stopped and waited. Hardly an edifying spectacle - telling riders to stop racing.

I think teams should have some sense of obligation to the integrity of the race. Remember the kerfuffle about the F1 team (I forget which) supposedly telling the driver in front to let his teammate through so he could gain more points.

I certainly pulled riders out of breaks and they waited when I was managing, and that was before race radio. I agree that on this occasion it was difficult to see why what was done was done. Maybe there was something earlier on when Pauwells should have waited and didn't, and the team didn't want indiscipline to be rewarded with a stage win, I don't know.
I do know that Van Poppel is a very experienced manager and rider, so I'm guessing that there is something that isn't being shared with the public here.

« Reply #38 on: 25 May, 2009, 05:22:15 pm »

I certainly pulled riders out of breaks and they waited when I was managing, and that was before race radio. I agree that on this occasion it was difficult to see why what was done was done. Maybe there was something earlier on when Pauwells should have waited and didn't, and the team didn't want indiscipline to be rewarded with a stage win, I don't know.
I do know that Van Poppel is a very experienced manager and rider, so I'm guessing that there is something that isn't being shared with the public here.

Eurosport was reporting that the Dutch press were reporting that Pauwells was told to wait much earlier, but went with the break. Therefore Van Poppel was right, in my view, to ensure that he didn't benefit too much from his indiscipline.

fuzzy

« Reply #39 on: 01 June, 2009, 01:35:35 pm »
Nerve wracking finale if your name is either Menchove of DiLuca :o

I didn't realise Menchov had made up so much ground on DiLuca when he went down. Good, fast response from the mechanic, as noted by the Eurosport team.

Tim

« Reply #40 on: 01 June, 2009, 01:38:25 pm »
I first saw the Menchov has won headlines and then saw the Menchov crashed in the last km details. This left me rather perplexed.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #41 on: 01 June, 2009, 02:18:51 pm »
Watching the coverage without knowing the result, the crash was most shocking as it looked like it was in the bag for Menchov, then he wiped out with 1km to go.  Probably more shocking for Menchov than for me, in fairness  ;)

The mechanic was phenomenal - he had a new bike off the car and ready to go almost before Menchov had stopped sliding along the tarmac.

It was a great Giro, though I feel slightly aggrieved that it was basically won by timetrialling prowess.  Di Luca was a much more exciting rider, but once Menchov had won the first individual time trial, he just had to sit on Di Luca's wheel until the final day.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

« Reply #42 on: 01 June, 2009, 02:45:30 pm »
he just had to sit on Di Luca's wheel until the final day.

Just?

Anything could have happened, and indeed it did when he went down on the TT... could have been the end for him.

fuzzy

« Reply #43 on: 01 June, 2009, 03:09:01 pm »
Watching the coverage without knowing the result, the crash was most shocking as it looked like it was in the bag for Menchov, then he wiped out with 1km to go.  Probably more shocking for Menchov than for me, in fairness  ;)

The mechanic was phenomenal - he had a new bike off the car and ready to go almost before Menchov had stopped sliding along the tarmac.

It was a great Giro, though I feel slightly aggrieved that it was basically won by timetrialling prowess.  Di Luca was a much more exciting rider, but once Menchov had won the first individual time trial, he just had to sit on Di Luca's wheel until the final day.

I bet DiLuca is kicking himself for not putting the hammer down sooner on the ascent of the Blockhaus.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #44 on: 01 June, 2009, 03:16:53 pm »

Maybe after the TdF fiasco with Rassmussen a couple of years ago Rabbobank sent all their mechanics to "quick change during a time trial" school

I disagree, it's easy to say that Denis "just" had to shadow Di Luca but this is easier said than done.  Denis did not have as strong a team as Di Luca.  Under pressure did never paniced, even when he must have been close to cracking, like on the Blockhaus

Di Luca is more exciting to watch but Denis the rider I was cheering on through the whole Giro.  I've been a fan of his since his battle with Roberto Heras for the Vuelta
Heras only won by using EPO, was disqualified and Denis eventual was the victor by default

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #45 on: 01 June, 2009, 03:27:42 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hBityJ6hEPY&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/hBityJ6hEPY&rel=1</a>
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #46 on: 01 June, 2009, 03:46:46 pm »
I feel slightly aggrieved that it was basically won by timetrialling prowess...

Er, the TT was hardly a straight forward TT course was it?  60km of climbing and descending on twisty roads would hardly fall into the 'won by TTing prowess' book  ???

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #47 on: 01 June, 2009, 04:10:08 pm »

Completely disagree. The complexities of team tactics are integral to the charm of road racing.

(And the F1 moaners were wrong too :) )

(I would support the radio ban, but for different reasons.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles