Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 369323 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #1000 on: 15 April, 2016, 06:29:19 pm »
"Roarghwooargrrrwrrh - jam!", from an oik hanging out of a passing van window. What was I wearing?

Marmite jersey?

:thumbsup:

fuzzy

« Reply #1001 on: 21 April, 2016, 07:54:11 pm »
As I rode past O'Donahughs (or whatever Irish themed pub name it goes by) on Spittle Street in Marlow on the way home, a coiffered hipster accompanied by an orange BOMGAR T shirted large of girth bearded buddy exited the pub. One of them said "Hmmmmmmm- Spandex"

Was it a bit pedantic to reply "Lycra! This is the UK"?

I got a "What was that?" in return to which I had to reply, "This is the UK so it is calle lycra. They call it Spandex in the States"

This caused a bit of nervous laughter and an increase in walking pace.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1002 on: 25 April, 2016, 01:10:20 pm »
I had my first “Get on the cycle path!”* when cycling down Priory Lane today.  Haven’t had one of these in ages so it was very welcome (statement may contain lies).

*I can only guess that’s what he said as the driver was on the other side of the road and I only heard “ath” due to our passing speed.

« Reply #1003 on: 25 April, 2016, 01:31:05 pm »
In response to a shake of the head I got 'Pay some road tax you c*nt' from a doesn't look old enough to drive nurse trying to drum up business with a left hook on the hospital grounds  ::-)

« Reply #1004 on: 25 April, 2016, 02:15:14 pm »
I always deduce that if a shake of the cyclist's head produces an aggressive response from the errant motorist then that's as sure an indication as any that a) they were in the wrong and b) that they know it.
Rust never sleeps

ian

« Reply #1005 on: 25 April, 2016, 08:36:58 pm »
I had my first “Get on the cycle path!”* when cycling down Priory Lane today.  Haven’t had one of these in ages so it was very welcome (statement may contain lies).

*I can only guess that’s what he said as the driver was on the other side of the road and I only heard “ath” due to our passing speed.

Coincidentally that's exactly the place I had my own similar experience. So it's either the same guy who has made a hobby of it or being an idiot is contagious. Fat headed buffoon in a Range Rover. I shouted 'why don't you' in response which seemed to cause him a significant logical quandary. Well, I didn't mean do it in his car, rather he should get a bit of exercise, wobbling jowls don't count. I suspect he is the type of person who is used to having things slowly and carefully explained to him. Sadly no one had slowly and carefully explained that ownership of a Range Rover is a clear advertisement that he's a dimwitted chucklemonkey of the most supreme order.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1006 on: 27 April, 2016, 10:51:10 am »
"Rwwargh* Pompino!", from another cyclist.

*May have been 'bueno' or somesuch.

« Reply #1007 on: 27 April, 2016, 05:18:34 pm »
Ropey old car pulls up alongside.
Passenger who looks like he's been in a fight in the last 24 hours shouts "e're mate you've dropped something"

"oh really?" I reply

The car then accelerates and I can't make out the punchline  ???

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1008 on: 08 May, 2016, 07:35:54 pm »
Went past the local sk8er park, where I might take up their offer one day of having a go :)

On of the youth followed me further up the hill on his bmx. When he came up along me he asked how do you steer? I said with my arms, I saw his eyes following my arms down, and then light ball moment, ah!
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #1009 on: 08 May, 2016, 07:41:00 pm »
Someone wolf whistled at me on Saturday. He really wasn't my type.
Perhaps it was the pink Fuck Cancer socks he was whistling at.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #1010 on: 08 May, 2016, 08:44:17 pm »
Ropey old car pulls up alongside.
Passenger who looks like he's been in a fight in the last 24 hours shouts "e're mate you've dropped something"

A  guy in a van said that to me last month when I was Just Riding Along. I'd dropped my wallet and he passed it over to me. Which was nice!   ;D
Jennifer - Walker of hills

ian

« Reply #1011 on: 09 May, 2016, 08:44:12 am »
Not a shout out, but someone wrote 'clean me' in the dust on my bike.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1012 on: 09 May, 2016, 12:40:48 pm »
"Get a bike!"   ???

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1013 on: 09 May, 2016, 12:44:21 pm »
"Get a bike!"   ???

From your puzzled expression, shall we assume you were not on the recumbent?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1014 on: 09 May, 2016, 12:46:34 pm »
I was, but it was still very much a bicycle.  Two wheels, innit.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #1015 on: 10 May, 2016, 03:28:44 pm »
They probably meant a motorbike. To many people "bikes" have engines. What we ride are "pushbikes" (though mine is only pushed on Very Steep Hills Indeed and in places where cycling isn't allowed)
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1016 on: 11 May, 2016, 11:02:22 am »
Not a shout, but a glare!

Sunday. Cycling towards Mayfield in East Sussex. Gloriously sunny day, and I'm on a fast stretch of downhill road that has double-white lines and a 50 speed limit. Vehicle that catches me up is a singe-decker bus, and the driver is maintaining my speed with a sensible distance behind. After half a mile of this, we start to climb. I'm conscious of holding traffic up, so at a convenient point ( a mini bit of tarmac entrance to a field) I duck off the road with a wee track stand, and allow the vehicles that have accumulated, to carry on.

By now the road is wide enough to accommodate comfortably me and cars. Lovely. I carry on magnificently (struggling) up the hill. Cars pass no problem except, that is, one stupid old cow in some tiny little car, has to slow down, match my speed, and glare at me. Obviously she felt the need to display just "How cross she was, for being held up in her very important journey!" She reminded me of a very cross-looking Betty Boothroyd (ex-speaker of the House). It really was quite pathetic. But just that little incident (one I should just shrug off) has impinged on me, and felt the need to 'unload'!

Mind you, she got a serious amount of arm waving from me, telling her to "Move on!"

There. That's better.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #1017 on: 12 May, 2016, 12:48:18 am »
I'd have blown her a kiss.

Or three.

« Reply #1018 on: 12 May, 2016, 07:10:20 am »
Not sure this counts but  wending our way south out of Nantes " Allez! Courage "  from a bloke in a green saloon car.
Reine de la Fauche

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1019 on: 12 May, 2016, 09:58:33 am »
Not sure this counts but  wending our way south out of Nantes " Allez! Courage "  from a bloke in a green saloon car.

Likewise being encouraged into acts of hooligan descending on the northern side of the Ardèche gorge while riding a fully-loaded tourer, by the occupants of a Dutch-registered car.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #1020 on: 12 May, 2016, 10:23:18 am »
Round here the familiar sound of a clapped out Peugeot full of yoofs bearing down on an enthusiastic cyclist is usually accompanied by shouts of 'Allez!,' and if climbing a substantial hill a shout out of the current speedo reading.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

vantage

• As quick as a slug on crutches towing a snail whilst wading through a salt mine!
« Reply #1021 on: 13 May, 2016, 01:05:49 am »
Riding home along NCR55 through Little Hulton last week. Doing a paltry 12mph in my shorts and jersey, minding my own business and enjoying the 75 degree heat.
Up ahead were two teenage girls. Can of lager in one hand and a cig in the other. She and her mate are wearing big padded puffer jackets.
Gave my bell a ring and passed them with as much room as I could which was loads...a good 3-4 feet given the track width.
One of them mutters under her breath, "Dickhead."
Classy.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

« Reply #1022 on: 13 May, 2016, 06:46:07 am »
I must admit the use of Fahrenheit offends me too, but that seems a bit of an overreaction.  :P

Use of a bell seems to invoke absurd reactions sometimes, but in this instance I suspect you simply have a teenager with an attitude, conforming to the stereotype seen on TV.

« Reply #1023 on: 13 May, 2016, 07:19:57 am »
It's Little Hulton,  if they were conforming they'd have have been drinking meths and smoking crack while their feral toddlers strung wires across the cycle path.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1024 on: 13 May, 2016, 11:01:47 am »
Use of a bell seems to invoke absurd reactions sometimes

The probabilities divide roughly into thirds I find:  A third of people will take it in the manner that it's intended[1] "Cyclist coming, don't leap sideways without looking".  Another third will assume it's being used for the de-facto "GET OUT OF MY WAY PEDESTRIAN SCUM!" of a car horn, with an optional startle and sideways leap.  And the rest simply won't hear it.

The only safe context for ringing your bell is in response to a cheerful wave by a small child.

[1] This seems to increase around canal bridges and in the presence of "Cyclists: Use your bell" signs.