Author Topic: Synthetic Ultralight Sleeping Bags  (Read 9939 times)

Synthetic Ultralight Sleeping Bags
« on: 10 August, 2014, 08:50:04 am »
Hi Folks,

I am looking at getting a sleeping bag for next year as I have provisional plans in the pipeline for a bit of a solo epic.  However, for ethical reasons I will need to avoid goose down and go with synthetic.  It's actually quite difficult to find ultralightweight synthetic bags.  So far the best suggestion anyone has is for one of these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/omm-mountain-raid-10-sleeping-bag/

Looks quite good but does anyone have any experience of this, or any other, ultralight sleeping bag? 

I know I will have to compromise a little on warmth, but at the moment I am not planning anything outside of normal British 3 season.  Saying that though, temperatures in Wales did get close to freezing on the MC so that is something I am still having to consider in the choice.

Any recommendations/pointers much appreciated.  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

Re: Synthetic Ultralight Sleeping Bags
« Reply #1 on: 10 August, 2014, 12:52:39 pm »
I have a Snugpak Traveller which is okay for summer months or bunkhouses that don't have bedding. It's fairly light and packs down very small.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #2 on: 10 August, 2014, 12:54:49 pm »
I use a traveller too. It's great for summer but a bit too cold when the temp. drops.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #3 on: 10 August, 2014, 02:28:13 pm »
I was in the market for a light summer sleeping bag earlier this year. A friend advised me the Mountain Hardwear Lamina 45 (synthetic). This friend does not use a tent. Just this waterproof sleeping bag.
I am not that hardcore and use a tent, and have a silk sleeping bag liner. I bought a Mountain Hardwear Phantom 45, because it weighs less than the Lamina, but that's down. Most of the time I only used that as a blanket to cover my back.
When I chose this sleeping bag, I first looked at the average night temperatures where I would be going (15°C). I do not see a temperature indication on the sleeping bag you linked.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

red marley

« Reply #4 on: 10 August, 2014, 02:32:00 pm »
As a vegetarian of 35+ years I can understand the ethical driver for using synthetic fillings. I have however, decided that given the various complexities of animal production, carbon footprint, employment conditions etc., that I am prepared to use down fillings in some situations. In particular I have one of the very well made ultra-light sleeping bags from PHD designs. They have a few words to say about their company ethics that are possibly relevant here.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #5 on: 10 August, 2014, 03:26:04 pm »
No experience, but if it's ultralight and synthetic you want, how about a Ray-Way Quilt Kit?    :-\
Jennifer - Walker of hills

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 10 August, 2014, 03:44:14 pm »
PHD could probably make you a custom bag with synthetic filling, as lightweight as you like. But it wouldn't be cheap.

« Reply #7 on: 10 August, 2014, 04:11:01 pm »
Any recommendations/pointers much appreciated.  :thumbsup:
As well as a sleeping bag consider a fleece liner and bivi bag too and layer up if necessary.

« Reply #8 on: 10 August, 2014, 11:41:59 pm »
It's actually quite difficult to find ultralightweight synthetic bags.  So far the best suggestion anyone has is for one of these:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/omm-mountain-raid-10-sleeping-bag/
I'd go for the raid 1.6 version myself - 100g primaloft on top rather than 60g.
They won't be as warm as a down bag, or as a heavier synthetic bag. I've not tried one, but I've got a jacket of similar construction, so I'd guess that it would be similar to a fairly thick shelled fleece, and be OK down to 7 or 8 °C.
Another point is that they are designed for mountain marathon, and will thus be cut for skinny racing snake type people.

« Reply #9 on: 11 August, 2014, 07:52:15 am »
Brilliant, thanks folks for the useful replies. The primaloft material is interesting and those OMM bags are looking like the most likely choice.

I do agree they don't have a temperature guide, I suspect because they are maybe more 2 season than 3, but reviews seem promising.  I am not in a hurry to buy until next spring which gives plenty of time to keep looking, or even discuss bespoke options and see what comes out next season too. 

I also really like the quilt idea as I hate sleeping in bags and often unzip them anyway.

:thumbsup:

PH

« Reply #10 on: 12 August, 2014, 01:30:23 pm »
I also really like the quilt idea as I hate sleeping in bags and often unzip them anyway.
 :thumbsup:
I changed from a sleeping bag to a quilt a few years ago, wouldn't go back and don't understand why they're not more popular now well insulated mats are available.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 12 August, 2014, 02:06:24 pm »
Depends how cold it is, I suppose.  A bag can always be unzipped, after all.

My hatred of sleeping bags is limited to those that restrict the movement of your legs.  Rectangular bags are fine, though they are invariably synthetic and all but the thinnest are impractical for lightweight camping.  A forumite put me on to the (Down) Mountain Equipment Dreamcatcher, which solves the leg restriction problem without compromise on warmth and bulk.

I can see how a quilt would work well in combination with one of the Exped mats in non-freezing conditions, though.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 24 September, 2014, 02:21:06 pm »

I'm not sure that OMM bag is the right choice. It doesn't give a temperature rating, which immediately makes me skeptical. It's also aimed well and truly at the mountain marathon crowd for whom a good nights sleep means they didn't die... I would consider some of the other bags out there.

For UK 3 season use, you're going to be hard pushed to find a synthetic bag with a comfort rating below 5°C, that is less than about 1.2KG.

Julia
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #13 on: 24 September, 2014, 08:52:09 pm »
Oh the irony of the late, but fair, post!

I actually bought a 1.6 OMM bag. TODAY. In Trekkit Hereford. Doh!!

But, tbh I had weighed up the situation and my decision to purchase the unrated bag not undertaken on a whim
whim. I'll write the reasoning when back on a proper computer :)

« Reply #14 on: 25 September, 2014, 03:00:08 am »
For UK 3 season use, you're going to be hard pushed to find a synthetic bag with a comfort rating below 5°C, that is less than about 1.2KG.
Example:
http://www.montane.co.uk/range/sleeping-bags/prism-sleeping-bag £160, approx

« Reply #15 on: 25 September, 2014, 08:09:53 am »
Example:

Yeah I looked at the Prism one, and it is cheaper than the OMM 1.6 too.  If I really struggle with the OMM I will take the financial hit, sell it on and get one of those. 

I have plans for a bit of an adventure this side of winter now, hence bringing the bag purchase forward. 

The OMM1.6 is no doubt a gamble.  It's not rated or sold for a 'comfortable nights sleep' in October.  But, the more I thought about it I'll not be using it for 'proper sleep' purpose outside of a warm summer night.  It'll be emergency hunker down and sleep for an hour or 2 in the middle of an unsupported 600 in the spring/autumn.  There will be no chance of me overnighting in the winter and if I even considered that level of harshness I know it would be with much better rated kit, and on a relatively flat route as the bike would be so laden!

This will be used on exceptionally hilly rides where weight actually is important for me.  I'm not big myself so extra weight is very noticeable.  I am hoping to carry this little OMM, and the Thermarest matt and a bivvy in an alpkit bar drybag/koala saddle bag combo with my Paramo Coat and normal kit and, for now, not run panniers.  The bag is significantly lighter and smaller than anything else (Primaloft based) out there.

Which brings me on the the coat - I'll have a decent warm Paramo coat to sleep in, dry base layer and dry socks in the kit and the Thermarest which will all increase the warmth a fair bit and that I would be carrying anyway.

I have also been pondering this wee blanket which has been getting great reviews and will tuck in nicely in a corner of the kit bag
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/practical/XA107.html

Plus synthetic does have some advantages over down - works when wet. Doesn't need as much looking after.  Both of which are important for me. 

I will be testing it over the next month and will provide feedback  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: 25 September, 2014, 08:17:53 am »
I want a synthetic bag.  I'm currently using Butterfly's 'summer' bag (which is IIRC 3 season, so too hot for me in summer.  Ideally,  I'd like a Ran, so I can connect it to hers when the wean is no longer sharing with us.
Getting there...

« Reply #17 on: 06 January, 2016, 11:01:03 pm »
Example:

Yeah I looked at the Prism one, and it is cheaper than the OMM 1.6 too.  If I really struggle with the OMM I will take the financial hit, sell it on and get one of those. 

I have plans for a bit of an adventure this side of winter now, hence bringing the bag purchase forward. 

The OMM1.6 is no doubt a gamble.  It's not rated or sold for a 'comfortable nights sleep' in October.  But, the more I thought about it I'll not be using it for 'proper sleep' purpose outside of a warm summer night.  It'll be emergency hunker down and sleep for an hour or 2 in the middle of an unsupported 600 in the spring/autumn.  There will be no chance of me overnighting in the winter and if I even considered that level of harshness I know it would be with much better rated kit, and on a relatively flat route as the bike would be so laden!

This will be used on exceptionally hilly rides where weight actually is important for me.  I'm not big myself so extra weight is very noticeable.  I am hoping to carry this little OMM, and the Thermarest matt and a bivvy in an alpkit bar drybag/koala saddle bag combo with my Paramo Coat and normal kit and, for now, not run panniers.  The bag is significantly lighter and smaller than anything else (Primaloft based) out there.

Which brings me on the the coat - I'll have a decent warm Paramo coat to sleep in, dry base layer and dry socks in the kit and the Thermarest which will all increase the warmth a fair bit and that I would be carrying anyway.

I have also been pondering this wee blanket which has been getting great reviews and will tuck in nicely in a corner of the kit bag
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/practical/XA107.html

Plus synthetic does have some advantages over down - works when wet. Doesn't need as much looking after.  Both of which are important for me. 

I will be testing it over the next month and will provide feedback 
Hi' came across your old post about the OMM raid 1.6 and i'm really interested in how you got on with it and your opinion on whether it could be used in minus temps with extra layers ?
Oh the irony of the late, but fair, post!

I actually bought a 1.6 OMM bag. TODAY. In Trekkit Hereford. Doh!!

But, tbh I had weighed up the situation and my decision to purchase the unrated bag not undertaken on a whim
whim. I'll write the reasoning when back on a proper computer :)

ChillyPanda

« Reply #18 on: 29 January, 2016, 08:15:07 pm »
Calling Rabbit.

I'm interested to know, too, how you got on with your OMM Raid 1.6 bag. Ratings (and independent reviews) for the bag are hard to find.

What's the verdict - was it warm enough?

« Reply #19 on: 29 January, 2016, 08:19:47 pm »
I have the lighter OMM - packs super small and has a nice feel to it. Used it on a two week summer camping tour in Dordogne last year and on PBP to sleep in 'halls' - pure dead brilliant. If it looked like being cold I'd simply add a duvet top.
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

ChillyPanda

« Reply #20 on: 30 January, 2016, 07:39:53 pm »
Good to know that you rate the bag. DId you get cold at night in the Dordogne - did you need extra layer(s)?

I really like the Raid, particularly it's lightness for a synthetic bag, but I'm hesitating to pull the trigger.

I have an Alpkit Pipedream 400 which is a great 2/3 season down bag (more suited for 2 season really). But I'd prefer a synthetic sleeping bag for spring-autumn UK bivvying given the higher moisture levels generated inside the bivvy bag.

« Reply #21 on: 16 February, 2016, 11:23:40 am »
I was fine in Dordogne but it was a warm summer. I think in UK spring or autumn you'd need some kind of duvet top - gillet or pullover.
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

« Reply #22 on: 16 February, 2016, 11:37:35 am »
Calling Rabbit.

I'm interested to know, too, how you got on with your OMM Raid 1.6 bag. Ratings (and independent reviews) for the bag are hard to find.

What's the verdict - was it warm enough?

It's not something you'd want to sleep outside in on a winter day 

But in the spring/summer/autumn it seems good to me.  I slept out in it in the summer fine, and, if it chilled off a bit, I just slept in the Paramo coat inside the bag.  It's a good little bag for my purposes.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #23 on: 16 February, 2016, 07:08:55 pm »
But in the spring/summer/autumn it seems good to me.
Out of interest, how accurate was my guesstimate (up there , 10th Aug, OK down to 7 or 8 °C)?