Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 420793 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #1375 on: 30 April, 2014, 05:03:36 pm »
Last night was the first event on the new 10 course. The start will have to be moved slightly to improve safety, but otherwise it went well. Fast course on a good day - there was a 12-15mph headwind on the outward leg slowing the fastest time to 22.23. Riders liked it - only needs two marshals and start/finish crew.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

rob

« Reply #1376 on: 18 May, 2014, 09:48:47 am »
North Norfolk Wheelers 100 yesterday.    3 laps of a sporting course on what turned out to be a hot day.   Went well for the first 50 then went to pieces.    12.5 min improvement to PB with 4:45:16.    Splits tell the story 2:16 & 2:29.   I was chasing an ambitious 4:30 schedule early on and paid for it.

Need to find somewhere to fit a 3rd bottle or persuade a helper to come out next time.

« Reply #1377 on: 18 May, 2014, 10:07:59 am »
    12.5 min improvement to PB with 4:45:16.   

:thumbsup:

Splits tell the story 2:16 & 2:29.   I was chasing an ambitious 4:30 schedule early on and paid for it.

Still got a PB by quite a margin though, so you must have done something right. 4:30 is a pretty good ride on a fast course, let alone a sporting one.

Need to find somewhere to fit a 3rd bottle or persuade a helper to come out next time.

You mean you only had 2 bottles on a warm day riding a 100!? :o
Bugger me! I'd want more than that riding the first 100 of a 24 hour where I'd be riding at a significantly lower intensity!
It might have been worth hiding a few bottles in some bushes. Not many would ride a 100 miler without support!

rob

« Reply #1378 on: 18 May, 2014, 03:53:15 pm »
Thanks, TG.

I rode a 100 on a flat course in Kent last year and managed in 2 large bottles.   It was, though, on a chilly ish June morning to the point where I needed a base layer.   My mistake was not making allowance for the warm temperatures yesterday.   The expected cloud cover and showers didn't turn up either.

I struggle to get support when further from home, but maybe should have hidden some bottles on the course.   I have a kit in the garage to mount a 3rd bottle on the aero bars which I might fit.

I have the Icknield 100 on the F1 in 2 weeks which is on a faster course and has a very early start time.   Can't be that hot twice can it ?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1379 on: 18 May, 2014, 09:16:52 pm »
Leave a bottle somewhere on the course - what's the worst that can happen?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1380 on: 18 May, 2014, 10:37:01 pm »
Someone pisses on it and then you drink from it.  :sick:

(idea (C) simonp)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rob

« Reply #1381 on: 19 May, 2014, 08:24:28 am »
Bit of research says the Icknield passes the HQ 3 times and you can leave bottles outside.   Will take extras this time.

« Reply #1382 on: 19 May, 2014, 09:38:28 am »
I did the North Norfolk Wheelers as well.  I found it very hard.  I'm not sure if it was the heat, the hilly course or my legs - I suspect it was mainly the latter - but I missed my target time by a fair way and ended up sitting up for much of the last lap as it seemed to be quicker that way! 

If I were you, Rob, rather than stopping, I'd find a way to carry more water on your bike.  I had 2.75 litres of drink (2 x 1 litre + 1 x 0.75 bottles) and had drunk another 0.75l bottle in the 20 mins before the start.  I was still dehydrated at the end with almost twice as much to drink as you.

The way I do it is to have two bottles in a carrier behind the saddle and a horizontal cage mounted on my top cap.  I could fit another cage on the down-tube - and probably will if I'm doing a 12 / 24 unsupported - so I'll be able to take 4 litres. 

rob

« Reply #1383 on: 19 May, 2014, 05:39:32 pm »
I did the North Norfolk Wheelers as well.  I found it very hard.  I'm not sure if it was the heat, the hilly course or my legs - I suspect it was mainly the latter - but I missed my target time by a fair way and ended up sitting up for much of the last lap as it seemed to be quicker that way! 

If I were you, Rob, rather than stopping, I'd find a way to carry more water on your bike.  I had 2.75 litres of drink (2 x 1 litre + 1 x 0.75 bottles) and had drunk another 0.75l bottle in the 20 mins before the start.  I was still dehydrated at the end with almost twice as much to drink as you.

The way I do it is to have two bottles in a carrier behind the saddle and a horizontal cage mounted on my top cap.  I could fit another cage on the down-tube - and probably will if I'm doing a 12 / 24 unsupported - so I'll be able to take 4 litres.

I think it was a tougher day than expected and there were quite a few DNFs.   I saw a couple of the fast guys riding back home on the 3rd lap.   At first I thought there had been an accident, but I think they had all fallen behind schedule and given up.    I wanted to finish for the miles more than anything, but should have picked up some more water somewhere.

I have 2 bottles on the frame, but have a tool kit behind the saddle which would stop me from mounting another bottle there.   I will hide bottles at the HQ on the Icknield, although it may cost a minute or so.   I don't have chance to fit another mounting before then and don't want to race on untested equipment.   I'll have support on the 12 and 24 this year so the problem goes away.

Rob

« Reply #1384 on: 19 May, 2014, 05:52:56 pm »
You could always use a Camelback type hydration pack, though it may give you the hump, you could drink from that first before chucking it.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1385 on: 19 May, 2014, 09:59:42 pm »
There are a few bottles that are designed to fit between your tribars, e.g. this one

rob

« Reply #1386 on: 01 June, 2014, 01:38:19 pm »
4:34:59 on the F1 this morning. Probably got a bit more in me but felt knackered most of the way round.  Almost perfect conditions.   Left 2 bottles by the HQ and picked them up on the second pass.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1387 on: 01 June, 2014, 07:58:03 pm »
Wow, congratulations!  Have you been under 4 hours before?

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1388 on: 01 June, 2014, 08:45:03 pm »
The trophy on my shelf says that our club record is 3:33:56.  I think I have slightly more chance of beating our 24 hour record  ;)

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1389 on: 01 June, 2014, 10:41:30 pm »
Yes, Phil Graves.  Thankfully he's now riding for York Tri, so I don't have to worry even if he does try a 12 hour!  The 12 hour record is a long 281, set by John Watson in the same year as Cromack's 24, and might actually be the most accessible record.  Unfortunately for me, May's been a complete write-off with health problems and now I've got to get fit again, so I don't think I'll be challenging anything this year.

« Reply #1390 on: 04 June, 2014, 08:33:29 am »

a bottle between the bars (which you can hardly see in this shot):

Amazing conditions, the sort you only get once in every 10 years for a 100-mile TT. 3:56:10 is a lifetime PB for me and a new club record.

Well done!  Was that on the F1?  Immediate reaction is 'bugger - why did I have to go on holiday!'

I guess that is the idea re the bottle - if the camera can't see it then the wind can't either!

JJ

« Reply #1391 on: 06 June, 2014, 04:51:25 pm »
24.43 for the evening 10 last night.  Fast course, but I don't care because that's the first time I've been under 25 min since 1979  :D

« Reply #1392 on: 07 June, 2014, 09:00:51 pm »
25 PB today: 57:25. 
Exactly 1 minute better than my previous best.

Am pleased:
- hadn't been going very well this season
- Not done any TTs for three weeks (as been touring in France) so didn't know how the legs would feel
- It was a windy day

But:
- It was a fast course (E2) that I had to drive an hour and a half each way to get to, so won't be doing it very often for a 25.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1393 on: 07 June, 2014, 10:50:36 pm »
Record sign up for my 10 next Tuesday - might actually have to select a field at this rate.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

rob

« Reply #1394 on: 08 June, 2014, 11:21:35 am »
KCA50 this morning. 2:10:12. 15 min improvement in PB. Very flat course no wind. Weekend off next week then the ESCA 24hr.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #1395 on: 14 June, 2014, 10:11:22 am »
Have my time for the RiP TT next week. First ever one, should be interesting!

« Reply #1396 on: 14 June, 2014, 02:40:12 pm »
What's a RiP TT?

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #1397 on: 14 June, 2014, 03:39:00 pm »
What's a RiP TT?

Sorry, Richmond Park TT.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1398 on: 15 June, 2014, 01:41:42 pm »
I did a pretty $hitty 50 last week.  Hills combined with a a May that was completely wiped out by ill health to give a miserable 2:07:43.  The only good thing about it was that my first TT was a hillclimb, then a club 10, then the Sussex 24.  I've been moving in from either end in a pincer movement ever sine then, so last week I finally ticked off the middle box and collected the set.

In more exciting news, the Newbury 12hr is running as we speak.  Frank and Oranj are there and there are photos of both of them here.  Oranj, what made you choose your road bike over your TT bike?  Do you usually do that at this distance?

« Reply #1399 on: 16 June, 2014, 10:45:05 am »
Spot on!  I measured it at 263.9 when I got to 12 hours. 

I was aiming for my club record which was just under 260.  I knew it was going to be tight and was behind schedule until 100 miles, but the average speed went up as they cut out the lumpiest and bumpiest bit for the finishing circuit and I was able to put in an extra push in the last hour and a half, so I passed 260 with 10 minutes to go.

Most things went well - feeding, pacing, etc - but I did eject a bottle on a pothole which meant I had to make a second stop (had only planned to do one).

Am feeling really beaten up today; more so than my previous 12 or 24.  I think the bumps were a big factor in that.  Really had to concentrate on the bumpy sections too, to avoid a bad pothole strike causing a puncture.