Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 420819 times)

Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #625 on: 01 October, 2009, 03:44:56 pm »
Anybody here entered the Blenheim Palace TT on the 4th October ?
Part of their Bike Blenheim Day, also includes the Brompton Worlds.

I shall be doing it - look out for a tubby man on a pink Condor! I did it last year and managed 39mins 45 seconds.  Hoping for a PB this year  :)

gonzo

« Reply #626 on: 03 October, 2009, 10:29:23 pm »
Club hill climb chaps tomorrow; 0.7miles up a hill which starts at 6% and reaches 16% shortly before the finish line.

I've been intending to diet for the last week which seems to have reduced my weight to near 10stone. My bike's got the fancy kit on and the superfluous things like the saddle bag have been removed. Total weight is now 17.2 pounds. If I can achieve a solid 475watts, I should be able to pull off a 3.40 or so.

All that remains now is just to see if I am better at suffering than my clubmates!

« Reply #627 on: 03 October, 2009, 10:47:43 pm »
blimey, good luck.  I dread to think what I'd get, I might get close to 450W but I might be a smidge heavier... :D

gonzo

« Reply #628 on: 04 October, 2009, 03:04:49 pm »
Phew; that was a hard one!

At the start line, I joked with the time keepers. Bad move; if you want to do well, you should focus. I started feeling slightly light-headed* with panic. Then came the 15 second call. About this time, I noticed that my front brake block was rubbing. I don't think the time keepers have ever seen such furious screwing as I tried to loosen the gap!

Then it was time to go. I had to power from the start in the saddle as 20 odd members of my club were mocking me about my 'stay in the saddle' comments. Fortunately, by 0.3 miles in, my body had put together a coordinated effort to overcome gravity and I started to go well. This was at fortunate as at 0.4miles, the gradient was over 10% and steadily increasing. Around this time, I became vaguely aware of over 100 supporters on the side of the road. They were cheering and clapping, I think. It's hard to tell when the entire world consists of myself, lactic acid, a bike and a spot of tarmac 1ft in front of my tyre which I was having a stating competition with.

0.6miles. We've hit 16% and I'm out of gears. At this time my body reacted in a quite bizarre way. It conjured up a song I've not heard for about 5 years. Not a helpful high tempo song, but an acoustic one. Oooo, there's a chequered flag in front. Time to sprint. Out of saddle and shifting like crazy. gggg-click-aaaaa-click-RRRRRRRR-click-click-RRRRRR-click-GGGGGHHHH! That flag's not getting nearly close enough nearly quickly enough. Must sit down. That was a bad idea. Stand up again. Ow, ow, ow, ow, finish line, ow, ow, ow. Check time. 3.46. Arms in air!

* but unfortunately, it didn't actually change weight

The winner did a 3.08 which is an average of nearly 15mph up a 12% hill!

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #629 on: 04 October, 2009, 03:18:54 pm »
Well done Rob, I expect to see some photos on the SFA flickr group soon of you gurning in pain up the hill.

Catford CC hill climb on Yorks Hill next Sunday 10 am and the Bec CC on White Hill later  :thumbsup:
"Don't stop pedalling"

gonzo

« Reply #630 on: 04 October, 2009, 03:25:38 pm »
There were a lot of people with cameras. I probably shouldn't have focussed on looking composed and should have worried about going fast!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #631 on: 04 October, 2009, 03:45:49 pm »
I've just come back from the Clifton CC hillclimb up Garrowby Hill here  It's 1.2 miles at about 10% plus a run in.

I got a time of 7.04 which seemed reasonable for the first time I'd done it, or indeed any hillclimb (Okay, I recce'd the route on Tuesday, in the dark).  The course record's 5.24, I think today's best time was 6.something.  

I could definitely lose some weight for next year.  The 7 minute barrier is so going to fall.

[EDIT: The fastest time this year was 6.34 and I was 6th out of a field of 32 (including vets, ladies etc)]

« Reply #632 on: 18 October, 2009, 02:24:32 pm »
This, yesterday, probably wasn't the best preparation for today's hill climb. 6:53 against a winning time of 4:58 (course record is 4:28 set by Colin Lewis). My friend Mike, who's usually about a minute slower than me on a 10, beat me by 4 seconds.

« Reply #633 on: 27 February, 2010, 12:20:05 pm »
First TT of the season tomorrow. Severn RC 25 mile on the U17
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/U17-25-mile-time-trial-course335629
Competing in the 2 UP with a fellow club member, should be fun as neither of us have ever ridden a 25m TT or a 2 UP before !
Forecast doesn't look too good - sleet !

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #634 on: 27 February, 2010, 10:46:12 pm »
Ah, the new season!

Good luck - I've got another week before my 2-up 25.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #635 on: 27 February, 2010, 11:03:10 pm »
End of the month for the first evening TT.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #636 on: 28 February, 2010, 08:09:22 am »
Good luck to everyone about to embark on their new racing seasons  :thumbsup:  I made a relaxed return to racing last year with a few club 10s.  I'm intending more of the same this year but I've also taken out SC membership to allow me to ride a few open events too.  But for me its all still a good 2 months away...
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #637 on: 28 February, 2010, 01:00:14 pm »
Our weekly evening events start when the clocks go back (or forwards - I can never work that one out), but we had our annual open 'Hardriders' 25 on Valentines day. I had intended to ride, but had the start of a cold at the time I would register, so decided against it. I marshaled - warning riders of potholes coming up on the worst section.

Winning time was a short 57'  :o
 New course record!
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #638 on: 28 February, 2010, 08:09:49 pm »
First TT of the season tomorrow. Severn RC 25 mile on the U17
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/U17-25-mile-time-trial-course335629
Competing in the 2 UP with a fellow club member, should be fun as neither of us have ever ridden a 25m TT or a 2 UP before !
Forecast doesn't look too good - sleet !

Weather was kinder than predicted !
Managed our 2 - UP in 1 hour 9 mins & 34 secs.  Although I must thank my club mate for pulling me round the majority of the course  :o
Thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for the next one.
Thanks to organizer, marshalls and all helpers.

« Reply #639 on: 25 March, 2010, 03:44:25 pm »
Rode my first TT in the WTTA Hardriders Series last Sunday.
On course U601 Sporting 23. A lovely morning with clear skies and only a slight breeze !
I rode it in 1 hr 8 mins 54 secs !!! Winning time was 53 mins !

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #640 on: 26 March, 2010, 12:45:49 pm »
On course U601 Sporting 23. A lovely morning with clear skies and only a slight breeze !

Are you doing the Rudy Project on Sunday? I'm off at 10:41

« Reply #641 on: 26 March, 2010, 08:11:36 pm »

No, but have entered the WTTA 29 miler U87 from Sutton Benger on Easter Sunday  :o
Good luck to you for this week  ;)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #642 on: 27 March, 2010, 12:24:00 am »

I did a 2-up in 1:08:35, on a windy day with the finish moved on an additional 300 metres. Winning time was only a 59! Pleased with that.  :)

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #643 on: 27 March, 2010, 09:24:57 pm »

No, but have entered the WTTA 29 miler U87 from Sutton Benger on Easter Sunday  :o
Good luck to you for this week  ;)

Thanks! Haven't entered the Easter Sunday one, but maybe see you the week after for the Bristol South 25? Good luck on Easter Sunday, should be a laff ;-)

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #644 on: 01 April, 2010, 10:55:46 pm »
Just filled in the entry form for my first ever 25 - 'tis the Mackie Tankard organised by Fife Century CC. A week on Sunday and I'm not feeling at peak fitness, but I've got a new TT bike so I want to ride an event to see if I can get my position right.

I'm a bit hacked off with the British Cycling website - tons of info and calendars of events, but nowhere can I find an entry form or instruction on how to fill it in. No doubt it's obvious when you've done it a few times but it's pretty off-putting for a newbie.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

David Martin

« Reply #645 on: 01 April, 2010, 11:27:45 pm »
Just filled in the entry form for my first ever 25 - 'tis the Mackie Tankard organised by Fife Century CC. A week on Sunday and I'm not feeling at peak fitness, but I've got a new TT bike so I want to ride an event to see if I can get my position right.

Wednesday evening - Cleish 5 mile.

Are you doing the midweeks rides this year? Can we tempt Mecwales out of the alehouses of st andys to partake?

Should be down for the next couple, then have to see how family things go.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #646 on: 02 April, 2010, 07:26:05 am »
I'm a bit hacked off with the British Cycling website - tons of info and calendars of events, but nowhere can I find an entry form or instruction on how to fill it in. No doubt it's obvious when you've done it a few times but it's pretty off-putting for a newbie.

I've been looking for an entry form too - where did you find it ?  (I've been looking on the SCU site rather than the BCF one).
Aero but not dynamic

David Martin

« Reply #647 on: 02 April, 2010, 09:12:52 pm »
Event Organiser Support

The individual entry form should do. Some of it depends on the event. Fife midweeks - sign on on the line. Local opens - just tell the organiser whn you see him/her on the club run.

« Reply #648 on: 04 April, 2010, 07:36:56 pm »
Rode my 2nd WTTA Hardriders event today, on the U87, a 29 mile course starting in Sutton Benger continuing onto Malmesbury then along to Wootton Bassett and back to Malmesbury before finishing in Upper Seagry.
A fairly flat route, but I God did I struggle today seemed to be riding into a headwind all day  :o
However due to a smallish field managed claim 87 points towards my total !

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #649 on: 06 April, 2010, 06:33:44 pm »
Last seasons Fife Midweek TT Results, all ridden on my old Lemond Etape road bike.  Part way into the season last year I managed to get a set of clip on tri bars, (Deda Clip One off ebay)

5 Mile:

08/04/09   14:38   20.50mph           Cleish

10 Mile:
15/04/09   28.58   20.71 mph   Fruchie FI-7 (11sec off PB)
22/04/09   28:42   20.90 mph   Cleish

A pair of clip on tri bars later:

29/04/09   27.19   21.96 mph   Fruchie
03/06/09   27.40   21.68 mph   Cleish
15/07/09   26.59   22.24 mph   Cleish
22/07/09   26.57   22.26 mph   Fruchie 10 PB!

25 Mile:

08/07/09   1:15:06   19.97 mph   Fruchie

I have a 5 mile TT tomorrow night at Cleish, hoping to beat the time from last year!

-- Edit -- Got 13.53!  Quite lucky as I rolled up to the start thinking I still had 5 minutes or so to wait, but I was actually next!