Author Topic: ACME Anvil Winter Series  (Read 118148 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #50 on: 15 November, 2017, 04:17:22 pm »
I think I'll probably be up for that as it uncomplcates the weekend before I head 'more east than we are'

Excellent! Any more takers?

I'm reckoning on a good cafe stop halfway at Thremhall Park, but otherwise cracking on. I'm thinking of inviting Mrs Tomsk to the 'spoons afterwards - any WAGs coming along to keep her company?

I'll have to do this as a DIY as new rule clarification is that I can't ECE the route check in the month before the event..( ECE has to be the same month as RTTY). do you have a route sheet or is it the same as last years route (though I rode the helpers last year also!)
Regards,

Joergen

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #51 on: 15 November, 2017, 06:18:57 pm »
Hmm. This Stansted thingy, unfortunately I will be ensconced in a Norfolk lovenest with The Present Mrs Mmmmartin, but after much faffing with the interwebs, I realise I can do 100k to the start of these ACME Winter Series, and the Tilbury passenger ferry starts at 5.40am on a Saturday.
Afterwards I would probably need to ride home at once - but will certainly fall prey to temptation and drink beer with Jiberjaber, necessitating use of the railway.
I'll look at the others in the series.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #52 on: 16 November, 2017, 12:11:35 am »
It would be good to see you you Old Rogue  :-*

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #53 on: 16 November, 2017, 12:21:15 am »
Hmm. This Stansted thingy, unfortunately I will be ensconced in a Norfolk lovenest with The Present Mrs Mmmmartin, but after much faffing with the interwebs, I realise I can do 100k to the start of these ACME Winter Series, and the Tilbury passenger ferry starts at 5.40am on a Saturday.
Afterwards I would probably need to ride home at once - but will certainly fall prey to temptation and drink beer with Jiberjaber, necessitating use of the railway.
I'll look at the others in the series.
That would be smashing! :)
Regards,

Joergen

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #54 on: 16 November, 2017, 01:03:37 am »
I think I'll probably be up for that as it uncomplcates the weekend before I head 'more east than we are'

Excellent! Any more takers?

I'm reckoning on a good cafe stop halfway at Thremhall Park, but otherwise cracking on. I'm thinking of inviting Mrs Tomsk to the 'spoons afterwards - any WAGs coming along to keep her company?

I'll have to do this as a DIY as new rule clarification is that I can't ECE the route check in the month before the event..( ECE has to be the same month as RTTY). do you have a route sheet or is it the same as last years route (though I rode the helpers last year also!)

I read that to be "ideally", not "compulsory".  I've ECE'ed quite a few helpers' rides two weeks before the event, but in the preceding month.  I just declare them as appropriate to bhoot for RRTY purposes, i.e. in the month I actually rode it.  I don't recall whether the ECE was necessary for the RRTY claim — I suspect not, as I always ride 200+s before adding on the ECE for route-check purposes.  I don't think there is any issue at all ECE'ing a route check in the previous month, it just makes it slightly more tortuous claiming for RRTY afterwards, but only slightly.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #55 on: 16 November, 2017, 11:45:35 am »

I read that to be "ideally", not "compulsory".  I've ECE'ed quite a few helpers' rides two weeks before the event, but in the preceding month.  I just declare them as appropriate to bhoot for RRTY purposes, i.e. in the month I actually rode it.  I don't recall whether the ECE was necessary for the RRTY claim — I suspect not, as I always ride 200+s before adding on the ECE for route-check purposes.  I don't think there is any issue at all ECE'ing a route check in the previous month, it just makes it slightly more tortuous claiming for RRTY afterwards, but only slightly.
Not really any more tortuous....the ECE part shows ditto marks in my download as it is the same date as the calendar event. So if you say you rode the calendar event on a different date I will set the ECE (which carries the points for a 100+100) to the same date, job done.

« Reply #56 on: 17 November, 2017, 07:20:16 pm »
Helpers' Ride and Route Check for the Stansted Airport Express on Saturday 25th November - starting at 10:00 from the Battesford Court. I'll probably be ece-ing 100km beforehand again, aiming to get to the 'spoons by 09:00.

I'm planning to join you on the helpers ride.  Leaving home at 0500 to be at the pub for 0915-30 if it runs as last time.  Hopefully that leaves time for a quick bite before the next 100K
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #57 on: 17 November, 2017, 07:41:40 pm »
When's the actual ride? 3rd Dec?

I should be free again, inbetween Hammerfest and Alingsas
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #58 on: 17 November, 2017, 08:29:49 pm »
2nd

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #59 on: 23 November, 2017, 09:31:51 am »
Just to repeat the invitation to ACME WAGS and HABS for post-Helpers' Ride drinks and food this Saturday. Mrs T will be at the 'spoons [with team car] late afternoon.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #60 on: 23 November, 2017, 10:43:37 am »
Just to repeat the invitation to ACME WAGS and HABS for post-Helpers' Ride drinks and food this Saturday. Mrs T will be at the 'spoons [with team car] late afternoon.

Do we have an ETA in numbers, 16:00, 17:00? (free parking doesn't start till after 18:00 iirc)
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: 23 November, 2017, 11:33:19 am »
I'd say from 17:00 - we should be finished by around 16:00 on a fairly relaxed schedule, but judging by previous editions, won't feel like eating until fully hydrated...

The car park at the bottom of Newland Street by the mini-rbt  is the logical choice for the 'spoons?

BTW, I've updated the route sheet and info on AUKweb, to include the lanesy route via Ranks Green and Fairstead rather than the Notley Road. I did find a typo on re-reading the sheet before starting on changes. Of course the gps track will need updating too, if we could use one from Saturday?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #62 on: 23 November, 2017, 12:11:04 pm »
Our team car normally parks on the high street, but I shall point the DS at the alternative location.  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #63 on: 24 November, 2017, 09:17:03 am »
BTW, I've updated the route sheet and info on AUKweb, to include the lanesy route via Ranks Green and Fairstead rather than the Notley Road. I did find a typo on re-reading the sheet before starting on changes. Of course the gps track will need updating too, if we could use one from Saturday?
This route is a combination of my as-ridden 2016 SAE track with (no COR) alternative route back from Braintree via the NCN16 through Ranks Green & Fairstead, if anyone would like to try it out on the Helpers' ride.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #64 on: 24 November, 2017, 07:19:07 pm »
^ We'll do your route back from Braintree. I've amended the AUKweb route sheet already.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #65 on: 24 November, 2017, 07:28:03 pm »
Gritters are out tonight, take care on them early start ece's
Regards,

Joergen

ElyDave

« Reply #66 on: 27 November, 2017, 11:43:06 am »
can I do an entry on the day for this weekend, missed it with various goings-on last week?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #67 on: 27 November, 2017, 06:50:02 pm »
Probably due to ongoing computer problems, it seems some of my entries are showing up via AUKweb, but not on paypal, so I can't email new riders. [The usual suspects are ok, I know where you live, and good ol'paper entries still work]. If that's you - very sorry - you'll have to get the route sheet and gps from AUKweb or email me directly.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #68 on: 01 December, 2017, 08:16:26 pm »
All set for tomorrow: weather = cold, bit damp, but not that bad - it is officially winter...

We froze for your benefit last week, [-4 degrees] on the helpers' ride.

With various requests for EOLs, we are up to about 90 entries  :thumbsup:

See you all tomorrow in the Battesford Court. I'll be there from 08:00.

« Reply #69 on: 02 December, 2017, 02:19:57 am »
I'm up and on the Americano. 2 degrees forecast for the ride over, and I'm hoping there isn't a long queue for brekky!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #70 on: 02 December, 2017, 03:00:52 pm »
I'm up and on the Americano. 2 degrees forecast for the ride over, and I'm hoping there isn't a long queue for brekky!

I feel your pain, it's a coolish 82 degrees here today.

« Reply #71 on: 02 December, 2017, 06:34:49 pm »
Great day out - enjoyed it immensely, thanks for organising  :D

« Reply #72 on: 02 December, 2017, 09:44:29 pm »
The new way back from Braintree was good, wasn't it! Lovely, quiet roads, and I think I saw about one car all the way until I reached Witham.

ElyDave

« Reply #73 on: 02 December, 2017, 11:04:07 pm »
Yes, great route back.  Café at halfway was excellent as well, coping superbly under the onslaught, and the takeaway flapjack was one of the best I've had.

Nice to put a few more names to faces as well

« Reply #74 on: 03 December, 2017, 12:17:18 am »
Yes, a great flattish (wish my ece was that flat) scenic route, and nice to ride with the Grant group for most of it. My first time at that cafe, and the veggie soup went down a treat! Chapeau Tom
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!