General Category > On The Road

Addison Lee instruct their Minicabs to start using London bus lanes

(1/67) > >>

AndyK:

--- Quote ---Addison Lee mini cab drivers told to use bus lanes from Monday. Previously only black cabs could use bus (and bike) lanes.
--- End quote ---

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/new-threat-to-london-cyclists-as-minicabs-told-to-invade-bus-lanes/012893

Gandalf:
Great, another subset of sociopaths to contend with  :demon:

TimO:
Hmm.  It'll be interesting to see what effect this has overall on Private Hire vehicle use of bus lanes.

Addison Ley aren't generally great drivers, but I equate them as being roughly as bad as you're average car (which means that they're pretty poor drivers for professionals), but they're not as bad as a random Private Hire vehicle.

I could live with Addison Ley vehicles alone in the few bits of bus lane I use, but I'd be more upset to see other Private Hire vehicles, who as a group, seem to have a far worse level of driving than any other easily identifiable group in London (from my perspective, and I don't see many HGVs, who I accept may be worse).

Biggsy:
I don't like the idea of minicabs using bus lanes from a cyclist's point of view, but I don't see why in principle passengers of minicabs shouldn't get the benefits that bus and black cab passengers get.  They're effectively a form of public transport - an invaluable one for many disabled people, for example.  I will be pleased if my dad wouldn't have to sit uncomfortably in a vehicle so long.  (He's entitled to ambulance transport, but "going round the houses" takes so long that he'd need the toilet on the way).

Adrian:

--- Quote from: Biggsy on 15 April, 2012, 06:28:27 pm ---I don't like the idea of minicabs using bus lanes from a cyclist's point of view, but I don't see why in principle passengers of minicabs shouldn't get the benefits that bus and black cab passengers get.  They're effectively a form of public transport - an invaluable one for many disabled people, for example.  I will be pleased if my dad wouldn't have to sit uncomfortably in a vehicle so long.  (He's entitled to ambulance transport, but "going round the houses" takes so long that he'd need the toilet on the way).
--- End quote ---
I would turn that the other way around and say that I can see no good reason, elderly and disabled passengers aside, why black cabs should be allowed in bus lanes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version