Author Topic: Pencil fetish  (Read 71897 times)

Re: Pencil fetish
« Reply #100 on: 06 November, 2013, 01:45:15 pm »
You've just reminded me I have a proper metal 1950s/60s desk top sharpener with a crank handle somewhere that I got from a car boot sale ages ago. Much like the ones teachers used to have on their desks. Havent seen it for ages. Mrs Pcolbeck will have spirited it away somewhere, she doesn't share my fascination with well designed tools.
I mainly use this Jakar electric one:

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #101 on: 06 November, 2013, 01:52:05 pm »
You can't beat a really good desktop machine, it's true Pat.  At the office, I have a perfectly serviceable Swordfish model from our stationary catalogue.  For my desk at home, I have one of these on order:

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #102 on: 06 November, 2013, 01:55:03 pm »
My Jakar one runs off batteries which I havent replaced in five years. It also has a connection for a 6v wall wart adaptor (not supplied). It makes me wonder how many pencils you have to sharpen to make it worthwhile running the thing off the mains .....

« Reply #103 on: 06 November, 2013, 02:04:01 pm »
1 Grenade, 1 T'Gall, 1 Longpointer later.... ooo that's only £13.95 and I need £14 for free shipping.....some blades..... how one thing does lead to another.

And I didn't even know I had a that-shaped hole in my life until now.

« Reply #104 on: 06 November, 2013, 02:12:35 pm »
Stationary is brilliant for those who like well made stuff as its not expensive. You can treat yourself for under £10.  Unless you get into fountain pens of course but even there you can get really nice stuff reasonably cheap.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #105 on: 06 November, 2013, 02:23:15 pm »
1 Grenade, 1 T'Gall, 1 Longpointer later.... ooo that's only £13.95 and I need £14 for free shipping.....some blades..... how one thing does lead to another.

And I didn't even know I had a that-shaped hole in my life until now.

Sorry Ham.  Really I am  :D

Can you let us know what you think of them when they arrive?  I didn't get on at all with the longpointer that I bought and I'm interested in the T'Gall...

« Reply #106 on: 06 November, 2013, 02:25:54 pm »
I have a specific use in mind for the longpointer, we shall see, and the T'Gaal ....well it's a proper GADGET isn't it?

Will report back in due course.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #107 on: 06 November, 2013, 02:36:29 pm »
Stationary is brilliant for those who like well made stuff as its not expensive. You can treat yourself for under £10.  Unless you get into fountain pens of course but even there you can get really nice stuff reasonably cheap.

There's always something more to add to the collection.  Stationery doesn't stand still ;)
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #108 on: 06 November, 2013, 02:40:02 pm »
Mi-owww!

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #109 on: 08 November, 2013, 10:03:30 am »

No, no - not pretty silver rimfire cartridges (although, I'll grant you they look a bit like them)

You want bullets?

Or pencil and sharpener

Found with my grandfathers WW1 medals.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #110 on: 14 November, 2013, 07:58:42 pm »
My hands are too big for traditional pencils. They become uncomfortable to hold and draw with before they are even half used. Tried mechanical pencils too. I've got a couple of cheap Zebra Drafix on my desk for quick scribbles and while I appreciate the fine lines and no need for sharpening the constant lead breakages are driving me nuts. Which has led to me buying a couple of clutch pencils. And I'm in love. How have I lived without these all my life? They are Koh-I-Noor Toison D'Or 5900, dirt cheap on eBay (£2.75). I'm going to have to get another 2 or 3 and some various leads and I'm sorted.

« Reply #111 on: 14 November, 2013, 08:18:38 pm »
Just ordered one to try. At that price it would be rude not to.
Stropping rocks

« Reply #112 on: 14 November, 2013, 08:24:07 pm »
Must...           resist....  I don't need any more pencils ....

Then there is the Caran d'Ache

« Reply #113 on: 14 November, 2013, 08:34:19 pm »
For those who prefer a wooden pencil Caran d'Ache do these in interesting woods:

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #114 on: 18 November, 2013, 09:38:15 am »
Oh they look amazing! 

kyuss - I do occasionally reach for a clutch pencil and although they're excellent for actually writing and drawing with, they're not quite as nice an experience for holding in your hand and fiddling with between lines.  Wooden pencils are so beautifully tactile that nothing else really comes close for me.

As for the bullets, wunja - what can I say... Fabulous  :D

I picked up a couple of new pencils in Paperchase at the weekend.  I got some Daler Rowney Artists' Graphics in F and a Caran d'Ache Grafwood in H (they didn't seem to do an F).

Both came ready-sharpened with the usual sandpaper grit lines pointing towards the tip.  I'd much rather get my pencils unsharpened because the first thing I do is to shove them into my mechanical sharpener, set to it's longest point.  Here's the one that's currently on my office desk:

...and here's the points after a couple of quick cranks. First, the Daler Rowney Artists' Graphic F:

Exactly as it should be - a nice smooth cut into quality wood, with a good solid lead and neat tip.  The paint is thin and more of a stain, but it's a working pencil and will probably wear okay. Now the Caran d'Ache Grafwood in H:

Less good.  Although it's exposed a mighty, fat piece of lead that should stay sharp for longer - the wood is slightly feathering off the graphite which I don't like.  It's aesthetics only as I'm sure it will function fine.  The paint finish is thick and lustrous - with, I suspect, more than one coat.  This is definitely a luxury, Sunday-go-to-meeting pencil.

The Caran d'Ache Grafwood was twice the price of the modest Daler Rowney, so it's not going to be an every day pencil for me, I suspect.

Anyway - let's get to the money shots:

Oh - whilst I'm sharpening and playing with a new batch of pencils - I need to ask.  Is it so wrong to sniff them in the manner of a smoker, about to appreciate a fine cuban cigar?

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #115 on: 18 November, 2013, 10:05:30 am »
Oh - whilst I'm sharpening and playing with a new batch of pencils - I need to ask.  Is it so wrong to sniff them in the manner of a smoker, about to appreciate a fine cuban cigar?

No. A lot of wooden pencils are made from cedar, a wood with a very nice aroma.

As for the bullets, wunja - what can I say... Fabulous  :D
A little google research found that the pencil was part of a gift for troops on the front line in Christmas 1914. We still have the brass tin that contained it.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #116 on: 18 November, 2013, 04:48:00 pm »
T'Gaal... a review

Yes, this one http://www.topcolorsharpeners.com/products/s1-tgaal-multi-sharpener

Actually, rather good. That enough?

The first thing to know is that is does what it says - sharpens pencils using a cam that can alter the angle. The second thing to know is that it doesn't do anything else.

Onto the pics, here are a 3H and an EB, after sharpening and after use.

and a closer look at the points

I'd put the substandard 3H point down to operator error - as you can see an impressive point, especially as I have been using it. Likewise the EB, just how I wanted it, again after use.

And what did I test it on? A very quick sketch. I make no great claims for its aristic value, but would point out to any potential commenter that it is a bit of RETOUCHING that it needs, OK? RETOUCHING. not touching up.

(click to show/hide)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #117 on: 18 November, 2013, 11:26:41 pm »
(click to show/hide)

red marley

« Reply #118 on: 19 November, 2013, 11:34:41 pm »
Does this count? Pencil (hipster alert warning, but I still want one)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #119 on: 20 November, 2013, 08:40:24 am »
Does this count?

Ugh, no!  Even as an iPad owner, I really don't want one...

« Reply #120 on: 20 November, 2013, 10:45:47 am »
I am still waiting for a stylus for a tablet that gives anywhere near the resolution of a pencil or pen on paper. The paper app is very well done but the best stylus is still like a blunt crayola crayon.

« Reply #121 on: 20 November, 2013, 12:01:42 pm »
I love my Rotring rapid pro. Ive always got a rotring tikky in a pocket somewhere and an inoxcrom mechanical in the van door pocket (it was a freebie from Siemens Nixdorf). Biros don't like damp or wet paper when I'm working outside!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #122 on: 21 November, 2013, 09:48:07 am »
Does this belong here? Prompted by the thought "I really should start drawing again" after a hiatus of at least 10 years. As a result I re-found what is possibly my dirtiest little secret, 256 Shades of Grey

red marley

« Reply #123 on: 21 November, 2013, 01:24:14 pm »
Both came ready-sharpened with the usual sandpaper grit lines pointing towards the tip.  I'd much rather get my pencils unsharpened because the first thing I do is to shove them into my mechanical sharpener, set to it's longest point.

No, no, no! What you need is to employ the services of an artisanal pencil sharpening business...

<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=60718161&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=60718161&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>

« Reply #124 on: 21 November, 2013, 01:53:47 pm »