Author Topic: Pencil fetish  (Read 71906 times)

Re: Pencil fetish
« Reply #150 on: 24 November, 2013, 10:20:45 pm »
And me. I've just spent the last hour on this site, being overwhelmed by WANThttp://www.cultpens.com/

Only an hour? ;D

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #151 on: 24 November, 2013, 10:52:27 pm »
Wheras I have been looking at Staedlter and Rotring pens and compasses for doing some interesting things.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

fuzzy

« Reply #152 on: 25 November, 2013, 11:14:24 am »
I had a Rotring Isograph or Rapidograph alike pen when I was a school oik. Used it for sketching.

Some bastard from another school stole it from my pencil case during a building construction processes and materials lesson at an off campus tech college  :'(

« Reply #153 on: 26 November, 2013, 04:21:00 pm »
You've got me at it now! I've been eyeing up a Caran d'Ache Fixpencil 3.

(clicky)

Arrived today. 3mm 3B lead, on first go really nice to sketch diagrams and write with - nice visible bold lines.

Which has got me thinking about the pen I use and spending more money, which is another thread. I may have to hand some of these over to be wrapped up!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #154 on: 26 November, 2013, 04:22:56 pm »
While I prefer a nice traditional bit of wood, I must confess that is a handsome pencil.
Getting there...

« Reply #155 on: 26 November, 2013, 04:34:57 pm »
And me. I've just spent the last hour on this site, being overwhelmed by WANThttp://www.cultpens.com/

Oh you sod. I bet you waft single malts under the noses of recovering alcoholics don't you???
Working my way up to inferior.

« Reply #156 on: 26 November, 2013, 05:33:05 pm »

Oh you sod. I bet you waft single malts under the noses of recovering alcoholics don't you???

Mitsubishi Pure Malt Oak Wood Premium Edition - a truly beautiful pencil with a barrel crafted from oak reclaimed from whisky barrels.
two birds and all that

« Reply #157 on: 26 November, 2013, 05:39:40 pm »
Nappy anyone ? http://www.napkin4ever.com/en/

A candidate for the silly business names, surely, and £40 ? Zowie. Beautiful, but does it come on a piece of elastic you can thread through your sleeves along with your gloves?

« Reply #158 on: 26 November, 2013, 08:35:47 pm »
Nappy anyone ? http://www.napkin4ever.com/en/

A candidate for the silly business names, surely, and £40 ? Zowie. Beautiful, but does it come on a piece of elastic you can thread through your sleeves along with your gloves?

It is a beauty; I'm trying to resist buying one.

« Reply #159 on: 26 November, 2013, 09:02:06 pm »
There's too much talk of exciting stuff on here for a man of my age at this time of night.  I rarely use a pencil so I don't know why I have so many.  My favourites are: -

0.5mm mechanical - Uni Kuru Toga (superbly smooth lead)
0.7mm mechanical - Lamy Scribble
0.8mm mechanical (I think) - YoL
2mm mechanical - Caran d'Ache 77 Fixpencil
5.6mm - Koh-i-Noor Automatic

Wood case - Tombow Mono 100
Other - Faber Castell Perfect Pencil

I tend to use a Pilot Vanishing Point pen, the matt black model with a stubbed medium nib.

Knives:  I usually carry a UKPK, but have been carrying a Dragonfly, but more recently a Manbug.  I had 2 Falky U1 knives, but the cocobolo one was stolen from my desk at work.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #160 on: 27 November, 2013, 03:42:11 pm »
My rotring rapid PRO 0.5 (chrome) arrived today.  Lovely!

It shall now reside alongside my Waterman Expert (matte chrome, XF) fountain pen.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #161 on: 27 November, 2013, 03:46:33 pm »
My rotring rapid PRO 0.5 (chrome) arrived today.  Lovely!

It shall now reside alongside my Waterman Expert (matte chrome, XF) fountain pen.

Bet you sat there oggling and stroking it :D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #162 on: 27 November, 2013, 04:07:36 pm »
I'm in the office (all open plan), so 'no'.  I'd rather draw looks on account of my wardrobe rather than ... appreciating new toys. :)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #163 on: 27 November, 2013, 04:08:36 pm »
Yes, best save that for when you get home :D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #164 on: 02 December, 2013, 02:52:18 pm »
A bit of a treat for a dull Monday!

Firstly, let me introduce you to a new friend of mine - the Mitsubishi KH-20:

Apart from being a quality bit of kit, this mechanical sharpener has several interesting features that you don't find on other desktop machines of its type.  Firstly, it has rubber-tipped jaws so your pencils don't get marked by the metal teeth more commonly found in this type of sharpener.  It clamps the pencil nice and tight, too - no slippage at all.

And here's a saucy shot from the rear:

The red button on the there is for waxy coloured pencils; pressing it engages a small stopper bar inside the mechanism, which puts a blunt point on the tip of the pencil lead.  But the main feature of this marvelous Japanese sharpener is that it makes the longest points I have ever seen.  Check this out - I took one common-or-garden HB office pencil (a Mirado Classic) with a tip that looked like this:

After a quick wind in the KH-20, here it is on the right, next to a similar pencil sharpened in my Swordfish machine for comparison:

I love it, not only do my pencils look dead classy, but the angle it pus on the lead is that tiny bit more acute, which I think means that for someone who prefers to use harder grades of pencil and who doesn't tend to mash the lead into the paper, makes the points last a little longer between sharpenings.

Also new on my desk is the rather interesting Rhodia triangular pencil.  Each one comes wrapped in its own plastic baggie:

Although technically pre-sharpened:

...you wouldn't want to use one without first putting it through your sharpener of preference.  I didn't use the Mitsubishi for this one because of its unusual triangular cross section:

I love the black wood that the Rhodia is made from.  It's almost certainly dyed that colour, but it's still quite fun.  They only come in one grade and it feels like an HB to me.  A bit soft for my day to day preferences, but fun to have in my pencil pot to ring the changes now and then:

Oh - and finally... has anyone seen this before...?

www.artisanalpencilsharpening.com

It's a real thing in the world - not only is there a book (which is totally on my Christmas list) but you can actually send your pencils away to the author to have them sharpened to his exacting standards.

Better than that, you get your shavings returned in a little baggie, and a certificate of sharpness:

What more could you ask for?

;D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #165 on: 02 December, 2013, 03:01:13 pm »
You know that Mitsubishi - is there an Evo version?
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #166 on: 02 December, 2013, 03:18:44 pm »
I'm afraid not - but you could always have a Scooby instead:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #167 on: 02 December, 2013, 03:19:18 pm »
That's very un-Galant.
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #168 on: 02 December, 2013, 03:30:02 pm »
Your attempts at humour are failing to Impreza me.

fuzzy

« Reply #169 on: 02 December, 2013, 03:37:41 pm »
This Colt run forever (sadly).

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #170 on: 02 December, 2013, 03:38:18 pm »
Apropros of nothing. Bewary of excessively sharpened pencils.

My father had a very small tatoo where a very sharp pencil pierced his skin leaving a spec of lead under the dermis.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #171 on: 02 December, 2013, 03:39:14 pm »
Your attempts at humour are failing to Impreza me.

Can you Justy-fy that?
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #172 on: 02 December, 2013, 03:51:16 pm »
Enough already Clarion.  You're making an asx of yourself.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #173 on: 02 December, 2013, 03:57:45 pm »
Apropros of nothing. Bewary of excessively sharpened pencils.

My father had a very small tatoo where a very sharp pencil pierced his skin leaving a spec of lead under the dermis.
I got two of them - one in my right leg and one in my right hand. The one in my hand took some digging, lots of blood and good handful (no pon intended) of swear words to get out. Got in rather far and was big - pretty much the whole of the newly sharpened H2 pencil tip - home surgery is fun but also painful. The one in the leg I just left there as it was too deep and very small. So I don't have "ink" I got led :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #174 on: 02 December, 2013, 03:59:31 pm »
The red Mitsubishi KH-20 looks lovely. Pity it's discontinued :(
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.