Author Topic: Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - Friday 20th August  (Read 3665 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - Friday 20th August
« Reply #25 on: 06 September, 2010, 01:10:15 pm »
There were a lot of disappointed people in London on 20 Aug - thinking the flypast would come down the length Whitehall rather than just go across, giving a glimpse of a couple of seconds only.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #26 on: 06 September, 2010, 02:44:43 pm »
Many, many years ago I had the pleasure of watching Concorde and the Lancaster doing repeated circuitsover my old University (Royal Holloway). The Lancaster had to do about four circuits to every one of Concorde's. They were presumably trying to line up a shot with both aircraft flying side by side and I assume they wanted something picturesque in the background.

I'd guess it was the air force memorial at Runnymede that they wanted in the background.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #27 on: 06 September, 2010, 02:48:13 pm »
I was at Duxford on Saturday, and there was a fly past by a Lancaster, Spitfire and Hawker Hurricane.

At the end of the show there were 16 Spitfires in the air. Fantastic sight, and the noise was amazing.

I was there on Saturday as well, that was a fabulous display wasn't it.

I was having problems photographing it though - I think all those props must have stirred the dust up as they taxied past me because my eyes kept on watering.

Yesterday I found myself chatting to a lovely man who was one of the first prisoners in Changi. I thanked him for what he did so that the generations that came afterwards didn't have to suffer like that.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #28 on: 06 September, 2010, 03:07:10 pm »
I was there on Saturday as well, that was a fabulous display wasn't it.

I was having problems photographing it though - I think all those props must have stirred the dust up as they taxied past me because my eyes kept on watering.

Yesterday I found myself chatting to a lovely man who was one of the first prisoners in Changi. I thanked him for what he did so that the generations that came afterwards didn't have to suffer like that.

Fantastic. My Mum is a bit of a Spitfire freak, and I managed to get a candid picture of her while she was watching the display. I don't think I've ever seen her so happy.

« Reply #29 on: 27 September, 2015, 04:13:29 pm »
Displayed in the local Sainsburys off-license yesterday..

Well, there may have been a little creative shelf-stacking involved..
What's this bottom line for anyway?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #30 on: 27 September, 2015, 04:38:40 pm »
Shepherd Neame the brewer is making a donation to the RAF Benevolent Fund from every bottle of Spitfire Ale sold ... so get drinking!

And some trivia - last week the RAF Spitfires Rugby 7s team did a charity cycle ride around Battle of Britain sites in Southern England - raising funds for the RAFBF - over 200 miles .... on 3 speed Bromptons!      I drove the support van as a volunteer - great fun with an amazing bunch of chaps.  There's some stuff on Facebook ( I took some of the pix)  at  https://www.facebook.com/rafrugby7s   - including a YouTube video with a rendition of Jerusalem whilst in the foot tunnel crossing the Thames at Greenwich.   The real highlight was that when we got back to Northolt RAF Station there was a flying demonstration by 3 Spitfires .. as part of a fund-raising dinner.

Rob

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #31 on: 27 September, 2015, 06:44:02 pm »
Displayed in the local Sainsburys off-license yesterday..

Well, there may have been a little creative shelf-stacking involved..

Surely the Spitfire should have been on the next shelf up?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #32 on: 27 September, 2015, 08:28:51 pm »
This one was part of a Bader* "big wing", that didn't have the time to get an altitude advantage.

* legless
What's this bottom line for anyway?