Author Topic: Q.17  (Read 2140 times)

Q.17
« on: 12 March, 2011, 07:13:45 pm »
I am reliably informed that the correct answer is a drawing of a narwhal, unless you have the Welsh version of course.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Q.17
« Reply #1 on: 12 March, 2011, 07:23:21 pm »
I have no idea what the Welsh for narwhal is..
I suspect that it is narwhal.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 12 March, 2011, 07:24:28 pm »
No, it's an anagram. Llanhawr.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3 on: 12 March, 2011, 07:27:10 pm »
I understand, but cannot write Narwhal.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4 on: 12 March, 2011, 07:29:36 pm »
I have no idea what the Welsh for narwhal is..
I suspect that it is narwhal.

Yes, we'll also use the Old Norse name, like the English do.  ;D

« Reply #5 on: 12 March, 2011, 07:42:02 pm »
Here in Scotland our Q17 is "How well do you speak English?".

I think you're meant to give a personal opinion rather than state how easy it is for folk to understand you when you venture south of the border ;).

There's no space for a drawing unless you do it very small.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

« Reply #6 on: 12 March, 2011, 07:49:44 pm »
I am reliably informed that the correct answer is a drawing of a narwhal, unless you have the Welsh version of course.

We should so do that.  How many people need give an answer for it to be officially noticed, like people claiming Jedi for religion....?
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #7 on: 12 March, 2011, 07:57:02 pm »

We should so do that.  How many people need give an answer for it to be officially noticed, like people claiming Jedi for religion....?

Someone needs to get on Facebook and Twitter.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8 on: 12 March, 2011, 08:43:31 pm »
Someone needs to get on Facebook and Twitter.

Y W I M C . . .

done.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #9 on: 12 March, 2011, 09:59:43 pm »

Not a good idea! 

http://www.yourenotajedi.com/

If your religion is of low enough importance to you to that you are willing to put in a religion from 3 good sci-fi films from years ago, and 3 more recent rubbish ones,please consider ticking "No Religion" instead. Every tick towards any religion, no matter if it is real or a bit of a joke (or both for that matter), gets counted towards the figures of religious people in the UK.

The data gathered is used to inform government policy, and was used by the last government to justify funding of religious community bodies over secular ones.

If you don't have an active faith, please make sure the government knows

« Reply #10 on: 13 March, 2011, 08:51:18 am »

Not a good idea! 

http://www.yourenotajedi.com/

If your religion is of low enough importance to you to that you are willing to put in a religion from 3 good sci-fi films from years ago, and 3 more recent rubbish ones,please consider ticking "No Religion" instead. Every tick towards any religion, no matter if it is real or a bit of a joke (or both for that matter), gets counted towards the figures of religious people in the UK.

The data gathered is used to inform government policy, and was used by the last government to justify funding of religious community bodies over secular ones.

If you don't have an active faith, please make sure the government knows

I get your point, but drawing narwhals isn't going to give the powers that be ideas about religion, it'll just confuse them...

Is there a penalty for defacing a census form?
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #11 on: 13 March, 2011, 09:17:25 am »
I get your point, but drawing narwhals isn't going to give the powers that be ideas about religion, it'll just confuse them...

It won't confuse anyone as they're read by a machine and that area of the form will just be ignored.

It may confuse someone that goes to the trouble of finding and looking at your form on the microfiche version after they've all been scanned in.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #12 on: 13 March, 2011, 10:58:48 am »
So in 100 years time, when the data is publicly released, there'll be a surge of interest in narwhals?
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #13 on: 13 March, 2011, 11:13:03 am »
So in 100 years time, when the data is publicly released, there'll be a surge of interest in narwhals?

I suspect that it will prompt a study of a hitherto little known religious group that had the extinct narwhal as its symbol.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #14 on: 13 March, 2011, 03:00:04 pm »
It won't confuse anyone as they're read by a machine and that area of the form will just be ignored.

Not sure that's quite true. I believe that the forms are initially read by a scanner and then any answers that it can not decode are interpreted by real people and their interpretation of the answer keyed in to the database.

« Reply #15 on: 13 March, 2011, 03:16:05 pm »

Not sure that's quite true. I believe that the forms are initially read by a scanner and then any answers that it can not decode are interpreted by real people and their interpretation of the answer keyed in to the database.

I'd expect it to ignore the entire area of Q17 for English Forms since there isn't any answer to read.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #16 on: 28 March, 2011, 08:08:03 pm »
The right answer for Q17 is:

There Is No Spoon.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip