Author Topic: Borders of Belgium 1000 2016  (Read 61604 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Borders of Belgium 1000 2016
« Reply #225 on: 22 January, 2018, 06:51:25 pm »
Sorry dale, can’t help you there :)

Are clip-on aero bars allowed on this ride?  I know they aren’t for PBP, but didn’t see it in the ACP rules...

In 2016 there was a guy with some preposterous swan-neck things. He was a menace to ride anywhere near. I'll see if I have a photo when I get home

I never got close enough to suffer, but I didn't want to. When I run the universe, riders like that will be first against the wall.  :facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #226 on: 22 January, 2018, 07:06:55 pm »
 :o

« Reply #227 on: 22 January, 2018, 09:35:42 pm »
Cheers Dale! I thought I had an action shot, but it's probably just as well I don't.

I'm still tempted by this ride cos it's utterly fabulous, but I'll see how the year goes and try to blag my way into Rohnny's good books if I want to ride and get full service (I'm sure the nice piece I wrote for Arrivée will have drummed up a bit of UK interest).

« Reply #228 on: 23 January, 2018, 10:20:45 am »
Anybody unsure about riding this should just enter. It's a great ride. The southern and eastern sections especially will live long in my memory. But as has been said upthread, don't assume it's flat. And you might get some wind.

To top it all, Rohnny will supply you with a bottle of Chimay at the controls if you ask him nicely  :)

« Reply #229 on: 23 January, 2018, 05:29:51 pm »
Anybody unsure about riding this should just enter. It's a great ride. The southern and eastern sections especially will live long in my memory. But as has been said upthread, don't assume it's flat. And you might get some wind.

To top it all, Rohnny will supply you with a bottle of Chimay at the controls if you ask him nicely  :)

Note on my to do list: order more Chimays! :)

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #230 on: 25 January, 2018, 02:37:21 pm »
I have entered. I just need to figure out how best to get there. Deano, I'll email you to see what you decide on doing.

Currently P&O from Hull have 2 adults with bicycles at £380, which is not too bad.

For PBP I took the train to London and then Eurostar to Paris. I'm just investigating London to Brussels.

Dave C
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #231 on: 25 January, 2018, 02:55:44 pm »
Currently P&O from Hull have 2 adults with bicycles at £380, which is not too bad.
Christ. You can fly to Brussels from Glasgow for about £9.

« Reply #232 on: 25 January, 2018, 02:59:34 pm »
And then buy a bike for £371?

Dave_C

« Reply #233 on: 25 January, 2018, 03:07:36 pm »
Christ. You can fly to Brussels from Glasgow for about £9.

Aye, aye, aye, but with whome?? Cryingair? Who will charge you based on the number of components your bike has?

I like flying, I just don't like: Airlines, Airport Security Jobsworths, charges for a seat after I have bought a ticket, charges for using a payment card, charges for bikes when golfists get it free!

Plus I would have to take my bike on stripped in a bike bag, which I can not store once I get to Brussels!!

On balance, nah.. But thanks for the tip.

Eurostar are offering a single for as little as £29! The problem is Virgin who don't even offer tickets for 28/29 May yet!!

« Reply #234 on: 25 January, 2018, 03:17:42 pm »
Well, yes, there is that I suppose. Can push the boat out and fly with BA for about £100 though.

« Reply #235 on: 25 January, 2018, 07:20:01 pm »
I took the Brussels-London Eurostar for LEL, worked perfectly.

Dave_C

« Reply #236 on: 25 January, 2018, 07:31:32 pm »

Do you still have to take all the bags off the bike when they transport it?

Anything else which might have changed in the last 2 years?

Cheers, Dave C

« Reply #237 on: 25 January, 2018, 10:08:59 pm »

Cheers, Dave C

Yes. I had one of these lightweight hold alls to stash my panniers in before handing over my bike.
Nothing changed for the rest compared to 4 years ago.

« Reply #238 on: 26 January, 2018, 09:06:40 am »
For the last BOB I took the Eurostar to Brussels with a fully assembled bike, then an onward train to Ghent (just a change of platform at Gere du Midi). Stayed the night there, then cycled up to Watchebeke the following morning.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #239 on: 26 January, 2018, 10:21:21 am »
For the last BOB I took the Eurostar to Brussels with a fully assembled bike, then an onward train to Ghent (just a change of platform at Gere du Midi). Stayed the night there, then cycled up to Watchebeke the following morning.

Did a nice man in uniform carefully wheel your bike down the platform to you?

(best moment of 2013* for me.)

*HCH, not BofB, to save anyone checking dates!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Dave_C

« Reply #240 on: 26 January, 2018, 12:12:57 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I have to admit the idea of the train appeals. When we went to Paris in 2015 it was an early start, but we arrived the same day. Also the cost appears to be a little cheaper, if we can get the early train tickets on Virgin East Coast, as soon as they become available.

Bairn Again

« Reply #241 on: 26 January, 2018, 12:19:08 pm »

Cheers, Dave C
dave.  I used the Eurostar from Lille - London last August, aand had planned to pop my bike on fully assembled (I was staying overnight in London so wanst fussed if the bike followed on a later service that day) however when I got to the station I was told that my bike had to be boxed in one that they supplied.  They also had tools for the job (though no pedal spanner which made life slightly more difficult).

Not sure if this is just a "Lille thing" but when I arrived in London the guys there were baffled that Id had to box the bike.

Something to be aware of from 1st hand experience. 

(and I'm really f****d off with VTEC for "upgrading" their website so that online bike bookings are no longer possible.  This is still possible via other websites eg Scotrail - even for VTEC services.  While this is fine for short notice trips, the cheapest  EDI-LDN tickets are available first via VTEC so booking a bike is now much more of a faff.  Grr.  )

« Reply #242 on: 26 January, 2018, 12:38:39 pm »

Did a nice man in uniform carefully wheel your bike down the platform to you?

(best moment of 2013* for me.)

No, I did not receive that service. I had to go to a collection office, although the nice man was there. Off to make a complaint to SNCB...

« Reply #243 on: 26 January, 2018, 02:03:40 pm »
I'm planning to train it from London. Note that they've changed the bike rules with the introduction of the new trains, so best check the Eurostar website for the latest.

As I'll be on the last train on Wednesday night, will probably overnight in Brussels and then only collect my bike from Eurodispatch on Thursday morning. The 'all Belgium' ticket is valid for 24h so will travel onto Ghent mid-morning.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Dave_C

« Reply #244 on: 26 January, 2018, 02:37:42 pm »
I'm planning to train it from London. Note that they've changed the bike rules with the introduction of the new trains, so best check the Eurostar website for the latest.

As I'll be on the last train on Wednesday night, will probably overnight in Brussels and then only collect my bike from Eurodispatch on Thursday morning. The 'all Belgium' ticket is valid for 24h so will travel onto Ghent mid-morning.

It is cheap from London to Brussels but the Edinburgh to London leg currently is looking like a standard early morning midweek special at £99 each way!!

I think I'll look again next year for PBP but the ferry looks easiest for us further up the country.

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #245 on: 26 January, 2018, 07:48:42 pm »
I'm planning to train it from London.

Just entered. Ditto trains - Hants/London/Brussels.  Beds all gone now at Control 1. Managed to bag one at Control 2. The bivvy may come out of the loft.

« Reply #246 on: 30 January, 2018, 04:46:29 pm »
"Hello,

you were brave enough to sign up for the Borders of Belgium 2018 :-)
You payment is well recieved.

More info will follow later.

Kind regards,
Team BOB"

Excellent!

Dave_C

« Reply #247 on: 07 February, 2018, 03:26:07 pm »
Is anyone interested in joining 3 northern cyclists going from Hull on Tuesday 4th Sept 2018 in the P&O ferry to Zeebrugge. Then returning on Monday 10th Sept on the evening ferry to Hull arriving back on Tuesday 11th Sept?

We are looking for one rider.

Anyone who has already booked on and wondering how they are going to get there?

« Reply #248 on: 08 February, 2018, 07:58:35 pm »
Is anyone interested in joining 3 northern cyclists going from Hull on Tuesday 4th Sept 2018 in the P&O ferry to Zeebrugge. Then returning on Monday 10th Sept on the evening ferry to Hull arriving back on Tuesday 11th Sept?

I'm interested, how much and what flavour of northern are you?

Dave_C

« Reply #249 on: 09 February, 2018, 08:56:57 am »

I'm interested, how much and what flavour of northern are you?

The best kind!!

I have just obtained a quote from P&Q and they give us:

Out Tue 4th, Return Mon 10th, Standard Outside cabin (window). £384 between 4. With Evening all you can eat buffet, £536 between 4.

Feel free to email me on DavidStepheCrampton at googlemail dot com

Dave C