Author Topic: RIP Victoria Wood  (Read 5235 times)

RIP Victoria Wood
« on: 20 April, 2016, 03:21:00 pm »
No more dinner ladies or acorn antiques :(
62 is no age.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Chris S

Re: RIP Victoria Wood
« Reply #1 on: 20 April, 2016, 03:27:25 pm »
What the hell is going on with this year?  :(

« Reply #2 on: 20 April, 2016, 03:29:38 pm »
I too was just thinking it's been a bad year and only April.  It's got me worried, not about me either.
Move Faster and Bake Things

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 20 April, 2016, 03:33:19 pm »
I thought she was about my age!  That's very sad.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4 on: 20 April, 2016, 03:52:33 pm »
I too was just thinking it's been a bad year and only April.  It's got me worried, not about me either.

This was recently discussed on R4's More or Less.

Their answer was:  Yes more slebs are dying this year than ever before.

Reason?  Before the mid 60s and the mass ownership of televisions, there were very few real slebs.  A handful of film stars and entertainers, a couple of politicians, very few sports people.
The first mass entertainment slebs are now of that age when we can expect them to be popping off.   This does not include Wood, who has simply died young.

As the number of famous people has increased, we can expect ever increasing sleb deaths.

Explained much better if you listen to their cast.(17th April)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #5 on: 20 April, 2016, 04:05:32 pm »
Just heard on the 4pm news. What a shame. Hadn't realised just how young she was.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6 on: 20 April, 2016, 04:11:54 pm »
This is just rubbish.  She was so talented  :(

RIP

The party up there is looking more and more attractive.
Milk please, no sugar.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 20 April, 2016, 04:44:23 pm »
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

fuzzy

« Reply #8 on: 20 April, 2016, 04:51:23 pm »
Just seen the news on the BBC News site. I'm gobsmacked.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 20 April, 2016, 05:54:22 pm »
Bugger.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #10 on: 20 April, 2016, 07:18:50 pm »
Vintage smut:

https://youtu.be/lNU5KVa_Tu8

Roger, that is exactly the clip I put up on bookface. It is so full of life it hurts.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Andrew

« Reply #11 on: 20 April, 2016, 09:08:04 pm »
I was listening to  Ballad of Barry and Freda played on the radio today (in memory of)... it really is very clever. Lyrically, musically, pacing, story telling, construction...  and bawdiness (rhymes are flirted with and not made). It's the work of someone who knows exactly what they are doing.

It got me to thinking about the nature of talent, indeed the respect given to different talents. Victoria Wood was undeniably talented yet it wasn't a talent that people would class as genius.  It wasn't a talent that found itself in Hollywood et all recognition. I don't know why and I really don't know what that says.

I do know that the her passing is a loss; to her family and friends (obviously) but also to the people she made laugh.

\
« Reply #12 on: 20 April, 2016, 10:15:40 pm »
Possibly something to do with being from "Up North" along with an accent that doesn't travel across the Atlantic. That and peaking too early,before the age of celebrity  comedians with the wall to wall DVD sales.
Victoria Wood could  knock Michael McIntyre into the middle of next week , her talent was  way beyond his so called genius.
How she managed to remember all the lines of "Barry and Freda" is a feat on it's own. I can remember seeing it on T.V the first time.
Tears of joy.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #13 on: 20 April, 2016, 10:38:50 pm »
I was listening to  Ballad of Barry and Freda played on the radio today (in memory of)... it really is very clever. Lyrically, musically, pacing, story telling, construction...  and bawdiness (rhymes are flirted with and not made). It's the work of someone who knows exactly what they are doing.

It got me to thinking about the nature of talent, indeed the respect given to different talents. Victoria Wood was undeniably talented yet it wasn't a talent that people would class as genius.  It wasn't a talent that found itself in Hollywood et all recognition. I don't know why and I really don't know what that says.

I do know that the her passing is a loss; to her family and friends (obviously) but also to the people she made laugh.

I always thought she was a genius.  Dinnerladies was just the most true-to-life tragicomedy ever.  I adored it.  Her regular sketch show was wonderful as well.  Mrs. Overall - the original sketch character and the Acorn Antiques derivative were the funniest thing ever.  And Julie Walters's part of her Mum in Dinnerladies was great, great writing.

Dammmit.
Milk please, no sugar.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #14 on: 20 April, 2016, 11:05:43 pm »
Just heard Susan Calman say that soup cannot be served in her house without some one saying "Two soups".

Not just us then.  :)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #15 on: 21 April, 2016, 12:43:59 am »
...it really is very clever. Lyrically, musically, pacing, story telling, construction...  and bawdiness (rhymes are flirted with and not made). It's the work of someone who knows exactly what they are doing.

I think she knew music and lyrics backwards. Not just her music and lyrics, but the discipline.

I wrote this blog which is partly an appreciation of her performance style, which was a conscious demonstration of musical technique while feigning innocence about the lyrical content. Or at least that's the way some of her stuff works.

http://alexbaileywriter.com/the-demonstration-of-awareness/

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: \
« Reply #16 on: 21 April, 2016, 10:26:55 pm »
Victoria Wood could  knock Michael McIntyre into the middle of next week , her talent was  way beyond his so called genius.

Someone called Michael McIntyre a genius ???  I want them caught and shot, and I want it done yesterday.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: 21 April, 2016, 10:29:59 pm »
^+1
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #18 on: 22 April, 2016, 11:11:50 am »
Full interrogation* in order to track down the source of such disinformation prior to brutal execution without trial to "Buck people's ideas up a bit".

*Actually it's just a couple of hard pipe-hitting Glaswegians in a panel van with pliers and blow torch but they get the job done.

« Reply #19 on: 22 April, 2016, 02:27:46 pm »

Someone called Michael McIntyre a genius ???  I want them caught and shot, and I want it done yesterday.

Would it not solve the problem if you simply shot Michael McIntyre? 
Move Faster and Bake Things

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #20 on: 22 April, 2016, 02:48:33 pm »

Would it not solve the problem if you simply shot Michael McIntyre?

Shooting's too quick.

First he must know fear, then he must know pain.  Like I do every time I see an advert for the chuckling wanker on the TV.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #21 on: 22 April, 2016, 03:19:41 pm »
Full interrogation* in order to track down the source of such disinformation prior to brutal execution without trial to "Buck people's ideas up a bit".

*Actually it's just a couple of hard pipe-hitting Glaswegians in a panel van with pliers and blow torch but they get the job done.

Just one Glaswegian, with a can of Irn-Bru, if Frisky from The Night Manager is to be believed.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #22 on: 22 April, 2016, 04:12:03 pm »
If you don't want to hear the opinion of a spoilsport, don't read, but:

Is this thread about mourning Victoria Wood? Or about making death threats to a perfectly harmless man? Purely because he's made a lot more cash than Ms Wood from the fickle world of entertainment.

What Would Wood think of the last few posts??  :-\

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #23 on: 22 April, 2016, 05:54:32 pm »
If you don't want to hear the opinion of a spoilsport, don't read, but:

Is this thread about mourning Victoria Wood? Or about making death threats to a perfectly harmless man? Purely because he's made a lot more cash than Ms Wood from the fickle world of entertainment.

What Would Wood think of the last few posts??  :-\

As ian so eloquently put it:

Call the police!

THE INTERNET HAS GONE OFF TOPIC!

it's only a matter of time before people start being wrong.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #24 on: 22 April, 2016, 06:52:31 pm »
Off Topic     !=   Nasty or spiteful
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles