Author Topic: Roomy sleeping bag review.  (Read 2042 times)

Roomy sleeping bag review.
« on: 04 September, 2021, 06:49:48 pm »
Possibly of interest to those who don’t like standard mummy bags.

https://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/review/nemo-riff-down-sleeping-bag/
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: Roomy sleeping bag review.
« Reply #1 on: 04 September, 2021, 07:20:13 pm »
Having watched a few camping videos recently, the 'hybrid' bag seems to be gaining popularity allowing use either as a quilt or a bag depending on the circumstances. I personally am not keen on the mummy bag although that is what I currently use and would be happy to explore others.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 04 September, 2021, 09:42:14 pm »
In practice, most mummy bags can be opened up and spread over you like an asymmetric blanket, at least in warmer weather.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 04 September, 2021, 11:48:27 pm »
Looks interesting.  Good to see *something* since the demise of the Dreamcatcher.

In practice, most mummy bags can be opened up and spread over you like an asymmetric blanket, at least in warmer weather.

But you get cold feet if you move more than a nanometre in either direction.  I sometimes end up doing weird leg things with a partially-unzipped bag, but that's a bit more complicated to adapt to the changing temperature than a blanket.

(I still haven't had an opportunity to try my Alpkit rectangular down bag, which is a strictly warm-weather solution.  Last weekend's camping plans were spectacularly and conclusively thwarted by digestive lurgy, and we're well into three-season bag weather.  Maybe I'll end up camping on the floor for a bit when barakta gets out of hospital...)

« Reply #4 on: 05 September, 2021, 03:48:03 am »
Looks interesting.  Good to see *something* since the demise of the Dreamcatcher.

I sometimes end up doing weird leg things with a partially-unzipped bag

We are not into kink shaming here........

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 05 September, 2021, 11:22:22 am »

But you get cold feet if you move more than a nanometre in either direction.  I sometimes end up doing weird leg things with a partially-unzipped bag, but that's a bit more complicated to adapt to the changing temperature than a blanket.
With a mummy bag, it's easy enough to keep your feet tucked inside the bag while the rest is opened out. A rectangular one opened out basically is a blanket, albeit probably not quite wide enough and with a potentially annoying zip. I agree a decent blanket taken from your bed at home would be more adaptable but it's also heavier, bulkier and probably not as warm when a hot, sunny day is followed by an unexpected sub-zero night. It's all compromises one way or another.

I'm not quite convinced by the shape of the Nemo Riff, for me personally. It looks a bit lacking in knee room, which is what I'd personally want. But it's good to have another shape available for those who don't quite get on with the conventional mummy, the standard rectangle or a quilt (or a blanket!). A bit like clothes (or saddles and bars) it's an area where variety is good.

Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6 on: 05 September, 2021, 01:47:30 pm »
Too bulky and heavy for my needs on the bike. For car camping you can have equally roomy bags for much less.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #7 on: 05 September, 2021, 04:11:11 pm »
Anyone here used a quilt for bikepacking/touring?
Jennifer - Walker of hills