Author Topic: Autumn is here  (Read 4151 times)

Si

Autumn is here
« on: 13 October, 2008, 10:35:48 am »
Just pulled my first parsnip of the season.  I know that old farmers' wives will tell you to wait until the first proper frost but it was most succulent and flavoursome. 

A couple of weeks and the sprouts ought to be ready.

And the courgettes look like they have finally given up.

Tis indeed autumn time.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Autumn is here
« Reply #1 on: 13 October, 2008, 01:09:50 pm »
Have you not had proper frost yet? Our first proper frost was about a month ago!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Si

« Reply #2 on: 13 October, 2008, 01:15:44 pm »
Not one that's still been around when I've finally gotten out :-[

« Reply #3 on: 13 October, 2008, 11:59:33 pm »
My courgette was planted late but was just getting ready to go into overdrive, only the leaves are rotting now, only had half a dozen so far.  I've got some carrots, turnips and mooli-radishes fleshing out but everything else left is just taking ages and stagnating.   Must plan better for next year.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 14 October, 2008, 10:35:15 am »
So far our lowest air temperature has been 1°C, so no air frost. Probably a fleeting ground frost but I was tucked up in bed at the time.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5 on: 21 October, 2008, 09:41:36 pm »
Have you not had proper frost yet? Our first proper frost was about a month ago!

It's cold down south. We've not had a proper frost yet, though the chap I was riding with tonight described it as 'f***ing freezing'. It was a balmy 4C.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

border-rider

« Reply #6 on: 21 October, 2008, 09:45:42 pm »
There was ice on my car windscreen when i went off to the airport at 5:30 on Friday.  It's been much warmer since then - yesterday was stupidly warm - but I think it'll be cold tonight.

I picked our (only) 2 ripe tomatoes just in case :)

« Reply #7 on: 22 October, 2008, 05:38:31 pm »
Autumn is here and its time to dig.
Stropping rocks

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 22 October, 2008, 05:40:32 pm »
Dig?  That sounds like an awful lot of hard work...

We have plans to rotivate the back garden...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #9 on: 22 October, 2008, 05:42:48 pm »
It is much better to strim the top off, then smother with old carpet / tarp and then dig out all the perennial weed roots with a trusty garden fork. If you rotivate the roots, you chop them up and generate many more weeds.
Stropping rocks

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 22 October, 2008, 05:49:26 pm »
Dig?  That sounds like an awful lot of hard work...

We have plans to rotivate the back garden...

I would have thought it would have taken you longer to go and get the rotivator... :-*
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Si

« Reply #11 on: 22 October, 2008, 07:45:29 pm »
Can't be doing with rotivators.  I own one (well, am in possession of one - but that's a different story) however, can't see myself using it again.  As was said - it just chops up weeds and distributes them around so that you get a bumper crop next year.  If you use it every year then you end up with a nice pan that the roots of your crops hit and then go sidewards.  And to be honest, pushing the thing around through all the weed root is no easier than digging, unless you get a turbo-nutter-bstard rotivator!

Of course, you could apply weed killer to kill the weeds before rotivating and then you dramatically lessen the possibility of spreading live root around.  But I know that some people are not keen on the use of such things.

I'd go with hairyhippy and chop it down then cover with the obligatory thick black plastic, cardboard (bike boxes are great for this) or carpet (although that is also questioned due to the possibility of toxins in the dye).  Leave the covering on a few months and come Feb it'll be mostly dead and ready to dig over or rotivate. 

At this stage some people prefer to dig in their manure, but I tend to just leave it on the top as a mulch - it stops the remaining weed coming up and the worms'll mix it in to the soil for you anyway.

FyPuNK

« Reply #12 on: 23 October, 2008, 01:33:17 pm »
Bodger, I am new here, don't suppose you go on the AG forum do you?

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #13 on: 23 October, 2008, 03:06:51 pm »
What sort of plastic do you use?  Does it matter?

« Reply #14 on: 23 October, 2008, 05:52:49 pm »

Hi Aidy, this is Knoblauch.  Funnily enough I asked the same question of the Bodger on AG - this Bodger's from Sutton though not Wales.  :)

Si

« Reply #15 on: 23 October, 2008, 07:54:30 pm »
What sort of plastic do you use?  Does it matter?

Yes.  It has to be thick enough to stop light getting through otherwise the weeds will skulk on under it, you are probably looking at something around 1000 gauge.  Black is the preffered colour as this blocks light better.  Being fairly thick also helps because, left out in the weather for a few months, thinnner types of plastic will often rip due to the wind.  Ideally weigh down with rocks in the middle and cover the edges with soil.  Ideally you want something a bit more sturdy than a load of bin bags gaffer taped to gether  ;)  I've used green tarps from Wicks (£5 for 5x3m) with cardboard underneath - this worked very well as the cardboard kept the light out and the tarp kept the card board dry.

You'll get some people that say that you shouldn't use plastic as it stops water getting to the soil.  I've never had a problem with this as it still seems to soak in from the sides.

You can also get the weed repressing fabrics - these tend to be a tight mesh of strands so that they let water through but keep light out.  But be warned, couch grass, in my experience, will grow straight through it given time. 

Fraid not, not sure what the AG forum is.

FyPuNK

« Reply #16 on: 23 October, 2008, 09:16:06 pm »
Its the Allotment Growing forum, Allotment Growing: Vegetable, Fruit and Herb Gardening on an Allotment its just there is a member called Bodger, thought you was one in the same.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: 27 October, 2008, 11:48:42 am »
Where does one obtain a few rolls of this super-thick plastic malarkey?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Si

« Reply #18 on: 27 October, 2008, 04:49:17 pm »
you can get it from garden centres but it's expensie. Much cheaper to get it from builders merchants or the like....try the stuff that they put down under carpet underlay.  Or there are variosu ebayers selling it.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #19 on: 27 October, 2008, 06:33:32 pm »
The colours in the trees have been glorious.

Cycling across to Linwood (New Forest) a few weeks ago and the leaves were falling like confetti onto the road.

Lovely.

H