Author Topic: How messed up is your post at the moment?  (Read 16918 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: How messed up is your post at the moment?
« Reply #125 on: 28 December, 2020, 10:57:28 am »
BRITISH posties do not grok the concept of external letterboxen, according to Miss von Brandenburg who has one.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #126 on: 28 December, 2020, 12:23:15 pm »
BRITISH posties do not grok the concept of external letterboxen, according to Miss von Brandenburg who has one.

My Lincolnshire correspondent's postie seems to manage just fine.  The shite couriers make up for it by regularly failing to find the house.

Meanwhile, our door got upgraded to landlord-issue UPVC composite a couple of years ago, and with it came a generously sized letterbox[1] with some really vicious brushes, undoubtedly so as not to compromise the door's eco rating.  The postie seems to cope (about 2/3 of the doors on the street are of similar design), and it discourages the spammers from rolling their leaflets into a tube and leaving them wedged in the flap, as would happen with the previous small-but-mostly-harmless arrangement.

Postman Piers (who hasn't been a postman for many years now) was not a fan of poorly designed letterboxes, the worst type being those with a dog on the other side.

[1] Why do we call it a letterbox when it's just a letterflap?  And why is a letterbox for incoming post, and a postbox for outgoing?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #127 on: 28 December, 2020, 12:25:23 pm »

Seems my postie has decided that it's too much effort to put a "we missed you" card in the mailbox, and just takes the packages to the parcel shop. Only because I don't know it's at the parcel shop, it gets sent back as I haven't collected it within 7 days.

Have actually lodged a complaint with PostNL. I wonder how much more of my post has the same issue. PostNL are at least taking it seriously.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #128 on: 28 December, 2020, 01:25:43 pm »
When my son he started his paper round, he remarked that letterboxes with brushes were the worst for putting papers through. Height also makes a difference, too low being possibly worse than too high.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #129 on: 28 December, 2020, 01:40:37 pm »

In my brief time as a cycle courier, we would have some packages that were classed as letter box packages, i.e. small enough to fit in a letter box. Yet in many areas, esp down need Churchilllaan and the stuff of the same vintage, the letter box is barely big enough for a 3 fold a4 letter. You wouldn't fit the standard a5 size letters in there, let alone any package. Very annoying.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #130 on: 28 December, 2020, 02:52:18 pm »
If the postman comes tomorrow, it will be 8 days since he's last done this round. I assume the lazy bastards took off Boxing Day AND the bank holiday in lieu of Boxing Day.  I am going to complain to RM tomorrow as this round is always the one that gets dropped.  The sorting office must be full of Christmas cards.

Well they didn't get a card from us.
Move Faster and Bake Things

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #131 on: 28 December, 2020, 07:25:31 pm »
My postie understands the use of my external letter box. He also understands that bigger parcels can be left in my porch. I don't think he's worked since 24th, but I can hardly begrudge him a few days off! Amazon, on the other hand, have been promising me a delivery for the last three days - and this a replacement for an item that disappeared in transit pre-Christmas. I suspect I won't get it.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #132 on: 04 January, 2021, 10:31:08 am »
When my son he started his paper round, he remarked that letterboxes with brushes were the worst for putting papers through. Height also makes a difference, too low being possibly worse than too high.
From my paper round days, the ones almost at ground level, with an unnecessarily strong spring, were worst.  Especially on Sundays when I was trying to wedge the News Of The Screws* into one.

*I did the big 50s council estate in the village and had a 100% tabloid round, which I suppose was a blessing.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #133 on: 04 January, 2021, 11:02:03 am »
From my paper round days, the ones almost at ground level, with an unnecessarily strong spring, were worst.  Especially on Sundays when I was trying to wedge the News Of The Screws* into one.

*I did the big 50s council estate in the village and had a 100% tabloid round, which I suppose was a blessing.

I hated those floor-level snappers. I came to hate all letterboxes, to be honest, by my main round was the local advertiser free-sheet (the local newsagents had correctly ascertained that I couldn't be relied on for early starts, so this was the only alternative, and really there was no competition for the route) and I had an entire supermarket trolley full of them.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #134 on: 04 January, 2021, 02:31:02 pm »
Found a Crimblecard on the doormat today.  Postmarked December 20th, from the Banbury area (“South Midlands”).  It wasn't there on December 29th when my new! Shiny!!1! network cable was delivered.

This also demonstrates graphically how often I go out…
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #135 on: 04 January, 2021, 03:28:59 pm »
Still getting letters from 12/12/20

rogerzilla

« Reply #136 on: 05 January, 2021, 07:39:13 am »
I hated those floor-level snappers. I came to hate all letterboxes, to be honest, by my main round was the local advertiser free-sheet (the local newsagents had correctly ascertained that I couldn't be relied on for early starts, so this was the only alternative, and really there was no competition for the route) and I had an entire supermarket trolley full of them.
SOP for free newspapers in my village was apparently to do the road of whoever was paying you, then dump the rest over a hedge somewhere.  We used to find huge piles of the Newbury and District Journal when out on walks.

« Reply #137 on: 05 January, 2021, 08:15:44 am »
Our post has been exceptionally good so far, but our wonderful usual local postie has been on the Village Facebook site to say that the numbers of Covid positives and staff having to isolate is impacting the service at the moment.

ian

« Reply #138 on: 05 January, 2021, 09:45:51 am »
SOP for free newspapers in my village was apparently to do the road of whoever was paying you, then dump the rest over a hedge somewhere.  We used to find huge piles of the Newbury and District Journal when out on walks.

I did grink the editor of the local one after I stumbled on a big pile in the local woods (not the sort of woodland grumble a refined chap like me appreciates). She went and cleared it up herself, poor thing.

The staff of my childhood freesheet took it seriously and they'd checked on any illicit disposals. I mostly didn't mind it, it was an epic round every Wednesday evening hence my stealing a supermarket trolley, and it got me a similar amount of cash for a once-weekly round than getting up every day at dawn.

Eventually, the Coop offered me an alternative more remunerative job, presumably to stop me nicking their trolleys.

« Reply #139 on: 05 January, 2021, 10:04:23 am »
Order placed 14:04 04/01/2021 amazon.fr
Order delivered 09:30 05/01/2021 Durham UK

Nice.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #140 on: 05 January, 2021, 01:03:55 pm »
Order placed 14:04 04/01/2021 amazon.fr
Order delivered 09:30 05/01/2021 Durham UK

Nice.

Ditto experience with Amazon (but UK) - freebie Prime trial - item here in 7 hours - but it's not fit for purpose and it's going back (and I have a diary not to cancel the 30 day Prime deal on day 27)   The world is crazy - logistics systems that work like that must be wasteful  (the exception perhaps being JIT on big production lines? - but not for consumers)  Remember when Scotcade et al said "allow 28 days for delivery"!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #141 on: 05 January, 2021, 01:10:00 pm »
I just received a Christmas card form my Netherlands nephew. It was posted on 17th December and marked "Air Mail".
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #142 on: 11 January, 2021, 01:53:16 pm »
Christmas card from a friend in Colorado Springs arrived today.
Postmark says posted on Dec 15th.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #143 on: 11 January, 2021, 02:09:28 pm »

I did grink the editor of the local one after I stumbled on a big pile in the local woods (not the sort of woodland grumble a refined chap like me appreciates). She went and cleared it up herself, poor thing.

The staff of my childhood freesheet took it seriously and they'd checked on any illicit disposals. I mostly didn't mind it, it was an epic round every Wednesday evening hence my stealing a supermarket trolley, and it got me a similar amount of cash for a once-weekly round than getting up every day at dawn.

Eventually, the Coop offered me an alternative more remunerative job, presumably to stop me nicking their trolleys.
Leaflet delivery in the third millennium has embraced the digital age: employers use GPS trackers to keep tabs on the rounds.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #144 on: 15 January, 2021, 08:04:24 am »
Order placed 6th Jan. Tracking number for RM given.
RM says 'we are not giving tracking info until delivery is about to occur'. They must be really struggling.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #145 on: 15 January, 2021, 09:41:14 am »
Our postie arrives every day as normal. He's not even scared of the bears. And is still in shorts.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #146 on: 15 January, 2021, 12:21:24 pm »
What is it with posties and shorts?  You'd think they'd want kevlar dogging trousers.

« Reply #147 on: 15 January, 2021, 12:38:23 pm »
Several areas of the country have been severely affected (for Royal Mail):-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55652461
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #148 on: 01 February, 2021, 08:15:54 pm »
I found a letter on the pavement just by our gate today. Postie must have dropped it. Unfortunately it was addressed to someone at number 9 – we don't live at number 9, which is just as well, because someone whose name I don't recognize does. So I walked down the street and put it through the letterbosk of number 9. Then wondered if I was breaking some lockdown rulez by entering someone else's garden!

rogerzilla

« Reply #149 on: 19 March, 2021, 08:56:14 am »
No postman seen in our road for 3 days now.  It's all ferked up again.  Hermes, DPD, etc all working fine.  I suspect the higher age of RM staff (some shielding?) and shitty management make sick leave epically high, despite low rates of the virus.