Author Topic: FNRttC - the 2017 list  (Read 5287 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
FNRttC - the 2017 list
« on: 27 January, 2017, 10:23:51 pm »
I should have posted this a few weeks ago, but life (and death) gets in the way of important stuff like bike rides.

Anyway, for anyone who's not on the Fridays Mailing list (available by signing up at www.fnrttc.co.uk), here's a quick summary of the night time delights awaiting you this year on the Friday Night Ride to the Coast:

New start point for London rides from South Bank
    17 events
    Five countries
    Two separate weeks touring in Europe
    Wales
    Manchester
    York
    Hull
    New routes to new destinations
    Plus the “Classic” rides with which so many of you are familiar.

March 10 - London (South Bank) to Southend via J31 - the Southend route is many riders’ favourite because it's fairly flat.

April 7 - London (South Bank) to Whitstable.  The dawn swoop down the hill from Faversham on to Graveney Marshes (site of the last ground battle by a foreign force on British soil) on deserted roads is the closest many of us come to racing. The halfway stop in Strood is renowned for the tea and sandwiches handmade by volunteers: proceeds go to the club’s favourite charity - Step & Learn http://www.stepandlearn.org/.

Saturday April 29 - Sunday April 30 - Brussels to Ostend - Note this is a Saturday night and the Flemish Night Ride to the Kust (FNRttK). Numbers are limited to 14 in one group: this year it is oversubscribed so we’re running two separate groups.

May 5 - Bristol to Barry Island - A new ride (of special interest to pontists): one barrage, two countries, four bridges and no tolls.

June 2 - London (South Bank) to Shoreham - A great success when it was introduced last year.

June 9 - Swansea - After six years of the Cardiff-Swansea FNRttC and the addition to the calendar of a new ride from Bristol to Barry earlier in the year, the Swansea ride will be changing course in 2017.

June 23 - York to Hull - back in the list this year with the marvel of crossing the Humber Bridge, a fantastic experience in the early light. You’ll be aware that Hull is a European City of Culture in 2017, so we'll fit in nicely.

Saturday July 1 - Sunday July 9 - The Fridays Tour. You book your own travel and accommodation and the club suggests a route. A social and enjoyable week. We go in at Dunkirk and then via Maastricht and return to the UK via the Hook of Holland ferry to Harwich.

July 14 - London (South Bank) to Hayling Island - New route, new destination. Be aware that this ride is longer than usual at about 80 miles. R

August 4 - Manchester to Morecambe - Always popular. Some travel from London for the change of scenery. Think moorland, stars, hills.

August 25 - London (South Bank) to Whitstable.

September 1 - London (South Bank) to Bognor Regis.

Saturday September 9 - Sunday September 17 - Le Sightseer Tour. Easier overall and with shorter days than The Fridays Tour in July. Ferry from Portsmouth to Caen then we ride with luggage to a hotel and spent two nights there so we can have a day touring (together or not, as you prefer) and sightseeing without luggage. The next day we ride to a different hotel with luggage. Rinse and repeat until we return to Caen and take the ferry back to Portsmouth.

October 6 - London (South Bank) to Southend.

For November: we are looking at a ride, date and destination to be decided - remember, if it starts from London it'll start from South Bank.

December 16 SATURDAY Christmas night-time social ride. It'll start from South Bank and, like the Christmas night-time social ride of 2016, visit interesting places. There may, or may not, be an opportunity to drink beer at breakfast.

As mentioned above, all London rides are now going to start from the South Bank under the southern end of WATERLOO bridge directly in front of the entrance to the British Film Institute, which offers shelter and more importantly toilets.

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Re: FNRttC - the 2017 list
« Reply #1 on: 29 January, 2017, 10:12:22 am »
As mentioned above, all London rides are now going to start from the South Bank (underneath Hungerford Bridge by the Royal Festival Hall), which offers shelter and more importantly toilets.
Ahem - wrong bridge.  ;)
The new meeting point is under the southern end of WATERLOO bridge directly in front of the entrance to the British Film Institute.
(Hungerford Bridge is upriver, running from Charing Cross/Embankment stations to, as you say, Royal Festival Hall.)

http://fridaynightridetothecoast.blogspot.co.uk/p/map-showing-new-london-start-point.html
Rebecca

2013 custom Enigma Etape
2010 Surly Cross Check
1978 Puch Princess mixte
2012 bespoke Brompton S8L

velovoice.blogspot.co.uk/
@velovoice

« Reply #2 on: 29 January, 2017, 05:37:22 pm »
Can we make this a sticky, for future reference. Unlikely I'll make any London ride but those oop north sound fun.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 29 January, 2017, 05:43:20 pm »
In case anyone hasn't spotted it, that York-Hull ride is the same weekend as the Rally...

« Reply #4 on: 29 January, 2017, 06:46:35 pm »
In case anyone hasn't spotted it, that York-Hull ride is the same weekend as the Rally...
This convergence is not coincidental. ;)
Rebecca

2013 custom Enigma Etape
2010 Surly Cross Check
1978 Puch Princess mixte

@velovoice

« Reply #5 on: 29 January, 2017, 06:50:31 pm »
Can we make this a sticky, for future reference. Unlikely I'll make any London ride but those oop north sound fun.
Sign up to the newsletter? You'll get notified as each ride opens for registration.
http://fridaynightridetothecoast.blogspot.co.uk/p/interesting-in-our-rides-heres-how-to.html
Rebecca

2013 custom Enigma Etape
2010 Surly Cross Check
1978 Puch Princess mixte

@velovoice

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 29 January, 2017, 07:13:20 pm »

Are there plans to make it an official rally event, then?

« Reply #7 on: 29 January, 2017, 07:16:22 pm »

Are there plans to make it an official rally event, then?
Afraid nobody's got the administrative time or resources for that. Getting our halfway stop back was hard enough!
Rebecca

2013 custom Enigma Etape
2010 Surly Cross Check
1978 Puch Princess mixte

@velovoice

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 30 January, 2017, 10:26:01 am »
The AUK Summer Arrow/Dart is the same day. (Friday morning departure I think - never done them myself!)

So you _might_ get some loon combining the two into an umpteen-hundred mile ride.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

KM

« Reply #9 on: 31 January, 2017, 04:09:25 pm »

June 23 - York to Hull - back in the list this year with the marvel of crossing the Humber Bridge, a fantastic experience in the early light. You’ll be aware that Hull is a European City of Culture in 2017, so we'll fit in nicely.

Is there a café earmarked for the breakfast stop in Hull?  I ask because Pasaz - used a few years ago when I had hoped to do this ride - has since closed.  Apologies if somewhere else has since been used - I've been out of the loop...

... and speaking of loops, will there be a return route planned for those wanting to get back to York?  Just wondered. 

« Reply #10 on: 31 January, 2017, 06:28:20 pm »
Last time I did York - Hull we used the 'spoons across the road (more or less) from Pasaz - that's not to say that the current organisers haven't found somewhere new.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #11 on: 01 February, 2017, 11:05:11 am »
... and speaking of loops, will there be a return route planned for those wanting to get back to York?  Just wondered.
Return routes are never planned, those so inclined are left to their own devices. Weather permitting I'll be riding there (and on to my digs for the weekend).

KM

« Reply #12 on: 05 February, 2017, 07:08:40 am »
Cheers, you two. Pencilled in  :)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #13 on: 10 February, 2017, 10:05:15 pm »
Last time I did York - Hull we used the 'spoons across the road (more or less) from Pasaz - that's not to say that the current organisers haven't found somewhere new.

It's the greasy 'Spoons!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #14 on: 14 February, 2017, 10:51:24 pm »
Just signed up - if that's the right expression - for my first FNRttC, having been given the hard sell by Martin when we were both helping out on last year's Ditchling Devil.  Given that night riding is one of the things I love about Audaxing, it'll be fun to do it without constantly checking a route sheet and doing mental arithmetic to see if I'll make it to the next control in time.

It's also London-Southend, so I can have a second breakfast at my parents' house and, if I'm in the mood, ride back as well.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #15 on: 07 March, 2017, 12:01:43 pm »
Anyone else from here joining Friday's trip to the seaside?  Unless the weather is foul, I'll probably be in an orange YACF or Audax England top, so come and say hello.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #16 on: 07 March, 2017, 02:02:41 pm »
Sadly not. I'm solely responsible for the mini-hatlers this weekend so I can't disappear for this one. Even worse news is that it looks like the first one I can make will be the June run to Shoreham.

Hope you enjoy the Southend ride !!
Rust never sleeps

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #17 on: 07 March, 2017, 07:22:40 pm »
I'll be there.  Either at the front or the back.  Or possibly somewhere in the middle.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #18 on: 07 March, 2017, 11:06:04 pm »
I'll be there.  Either at the front or the back.  Or possibly somewhere in the middle.
+1.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #19 on: 20 March, 2017, 07:07:03 pm »

I was at the back in the end!  For the 2nd June ride to Shoreham, I'll definitely be at the front............seeing as I'm leading it!

At some point, StuAff may well be plugging his (slightly hilly) but still delightful round the Isle of Wight ride on 19th May.