Author Topic: PBP Jersey Designs.  (Read 10686 times)

PBP Jersey Designs.
« on: 09 May, 2019, 11:21:51 am »
I see that the Australians have gone for an indigenous art theme.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: PBP Jersey Designs.
« Reply #1 on: 09 May, 2019, 03:19:14 pm »
nice

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2 on: 09 May, 2019, 03:19:37 pm »
Very eye-catching.

The AUK design will be along in a couple of weeks, or possibly earlier if the web page is ready.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Phil W

« Reply #3 on: 09 May, 2019, 05:31:59 pm »
Blimey, hope I am not following that when tired; I'll think I'm seeing things.

« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2019, 05:45:48 pm »
It does suggest a theme tune for the Aussie contingent.

'Enjoy this trip, enjoy this trip, and it is a trip'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpeRShWMdYM

The secret to PBP style is capturing the essence of thirty years ago. Acid House and Rave should be featured at all the controls.

« Reply #5 on: 10 May, 2019, 02:04:30 am »
There has been a significant amount of thought gone into the OZ 2019 PBP Jersey that might not be apparent to a sleep deprived rider in the middle of the third night but would be immediately apparent to a culturally aware AUK rider.

"The artwork that formed the basis for the PBP jersey is an authentic Indigenous design especially created for Audax Australia by Lani Balzan, a leading indigenous artist. Lani’s  original  artwork  represents  the  journey  the members  of the  Audax  Australia  Cycling  Club  will experience to participate..."

Lani Balzan says,

“It’s  so  important  for  non-Indigenous  people  to embrace   and   share   our   culture,   to   build   on reconciliation  and  to  show  our  culture  to  the  rest of the world. My art on your jersey will represent Australia  and  our  Nation’s  first  people.  I  feel  so honoured to be part of this story and to share my culture with Audax Australia Cycling Club.

There  are  elements  within  the  painting  that  have significant meaning.  The   top   right   and   bottom   left   painted   corner areas  represent  the  lands  of  the  two  countries  - Australia  and  France  -  that  the  riders  will  travel between just to start. This is a journey on its own! The  dotted  green  and  blue  areas  represent  the lands   and   the   oceans   that   are   travelled throughout this journey.  The  black  and  white  dotted  areas  represent  the concept  of  the  training  and  preparation  of  the riders,   and   the   hard   work,   commitment, determination   and   hardship   that   the   riders endure through this journey. 

The  gathering  symbol  at  the  bottom  right  represents  the  riders  from  all  over  the  world  coming together  at  the  end  of  this  astonishing  event.  The  white  dots  from  big  to  small  represent  the thousands of riders embarking on the route from Paris to Brest on the north west coast of France and  returning  together  at  the  finish  in  Paris.  The  red  dots  moving  down  towards  the  gathering symbol  represent  the  thousands  of  riders  heading  off  into  the  night  with  their  red  tail  lights glowing along the way. Finally, the hand print on the left-hand side represents the bond of friendship between the riders and their collective strength. This is to be worn over their heart.”

« Reply #6 on: 10 May, 2019, 10:54:25 am »
That has whetted the appetite for a similar commentary accompanying the launch of the AUK cycling top design.

« Reply #7 on: 10 May, 2019, 11:11:09 am »
I do like the design, it evokes the ideas of 'Walkabout' and 'Dreamtime' which link to the hermit traditions of the Abrahamic religions. I've alluded to Christ's forty days in the wilderness elsewhere.

I recall a conversation with a US rider in 2003, somewhere around Uzel, in the dark. He told us of his time in Vietnam, and his struggles since then, moving from job to job. How he'd ridden PBP twice, but not finished it. He seemed to be searching for some form of redemption. It was tempting to reach out and help him achieve his dream. He then asked if we'd seen the thousands of butterflies which surrounded a passing car. We quietly upped our pace, and rode off. That jersey design brings that to mind.

When someone asks, "What's it like to ride 1200km in all terrain and weathers, with three hours sleep?" I could say "It's like this jersey". I'll be surprised if anyone gets back to Oz without having swapped it.

« Reply #8 on: 10 May, 2019, 12:11:47 pm »
The French title of the film 'Walkabout' is fortuitous.

The design has a personal resonance for me. I interviewed Martin Pearson about LEL 2009 while at a Neolithic  site near Inverness on 200 in August 2009. I asked him how it compared to indigenous sites in Australia. He said that they tended to be rock paintings rather than structures. So again, quite evocative.

« Reply #9 on: 10 May, 2019, 07:53:27 pm »
Very eye-catching.

The AUK design will be along in a couple of weeks, or possibly earlier if the web page is ready.

I have a full set of the ACP official ones, but none of the AUK ones.  I'm not one for wearing/waving union jacks.

LMT

« Reply #10 on: 10 May, 2019, 08:14:26 pm »
The 2015 uk jersey which was shit.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #11 on: 13 May, 2019, 01:49:15 pm »
Very eye-catching.

Something seems to have appeared on the forcegb website. Dates on the jersey seem correct although resolution in low.
Not sure if I prefer the England or Scotland variant.

Redlight

« Reply #12 on: 13 May, 2019, 02:37:19 pm »
Very eye-catching.

Something seems to have appeared on the forcegb website. Dates on the jersey seem correct although resolution in low.

It has, but it's incomplete as it shows only the front of the jerseys - and the back is much more interesting!

I've asked Force GB to change it to show both sides and won't be advertising the jerseys until that's done as it may put people off.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #13 on: 13 May, 2019, 07:08:06 pm »

and the back is much more interesting!

Seems wise,  because we are fast and people from other countries will be behind us. ;D

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #14 on: 16 May, 2019, 12:22:17 am »
Very eye-catching.

It has, but it's incomplete as it shows only the front of the jerseys - and the back is much more interesting!

I've asked Force GB to change it to show both sides and won't be advertising the jerseys until that's done as it may put people off.
Since there are two grades of Jersey for each colour. Could they not show the front for the club Jersey and the back for the event Jersey. So all artwork is visible rather than showing both sides against each item which doesn't seem to be there standard.

Redlight

« Reply #15 on: 16 May, 2019, 09:04:50 am »
That is what Force GB are going to do, hopefully by the weekend.  It's required a bit of extra work on their part as their system is set up only to show the fronts (and, I presume, they need to add in a bolt-on to allow people to order either fit in either design).  As soon as the site is ready, I'll announce it on the AUK web site and relevant forums.

The cut-off date for ordering will be around 5th July for UK delivery in good time for PBP but it will also be possible to order jerseys after the event - I know some people are superstitious about buying the jersey before they have earned it  ;).

« Reply #16 on: 16 May, 2019, 06:43:14 pm »
- I know some people are superstitious about buying the jersey before they have earned it  ;).

If you pursue that policy with the official ACP event jersey, there is a risk that they are sold out.
ACP is risk averse when it comes to re-ordering.

Phil W

« Reply #17 on: 16 May, 2019, 06:44:54 pm »
I know some people are superstitious about buying the jersey before they have earned it  ;).

Your earn it by completing the qualifiers and registration :o :o

Redlight

« Reply #18 on: 17 May, 2019, 08:08:07 am »
I know some people are superstitious about buying the jersey before they have earned it  ;).

Your earn it by completing the qualifiers and registration :o :o

Ah, but would you wear it before completing the ride itself?

Phil W

« Reply #19 on: 17 May, 2019, 12:16:06 pm »
I did in 2015 as it allowed me to take one less jersey on the ride down to PBP.  However, given how much it stank after 4 days of PBP; I am tempted to instead get myself a merino jersey to wear which may hold up a bit better.

« Reply #20 on: 17 May, 2019, 01:58:56 pm »

On the last day, when you are reasonably sure that you will finish the ride, I would say yes.

rob

« Reply #21 on: 17 May, 2019, 02:01:22 pm »

On the last day, when you are reasonably sure that you will finish the ride, I would say yes.

I put mine on at Fougeres on the way back last time.   Previously I have left them at the hotel for the ride home.

« Reply #22 on: 17 May, 2019, 02:11:30 pm »
I've always viewed country-specific PBP/LEL jerseys as the equivalent of personalised stag weekend t-shirts... so wearing them during the event makes a lot more sense than after.

(with the proper event jerseys being more like marathon finishers t-shirts)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #23 on: 17 May, 2019, 06:05:51 pm »
I've always viewed country-specific PBP/LEL jerseys as the equivalent of personalised stag weekend t-shirts... so wearing them during the event makes a lot more sense than after.

(with the proper event jerseys being more like marathon finishers t-shirts)

agree with this, wear AUK PBP jersey during as it helps identify you to other AUK members, and official pbp jersey after so everyone knows you did it.

Wondering if there is a culture of swapping national pbp jerseys after the event.

« Reply #24 on: 18 May, 2019, 12:17:26 pm »
A Google image search for "pbp Jersey 2019" brings up a selection...

This seems to be the officiel ACP Jersey

Brazil...

New Zealand

Japan

And... Finland