Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144031 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #500 on: 07 September, 2020, 12:34:53 pm »
A later run for me, 5k of mixed backroad and trail. I’m developing some routes off the main road but some of the back roads can be a bit busy as well so it’s all a bit of an exploration into the unknown. I did manage to hold of going out until it just started raining and now I’m back it seems to have stopped!

I did the two run week last week after a fortnight off, so I’m aiming to be back to three runs this week.

The ToJ has been languishing on the desk over the weekend, so i think it was sulking. It has, I suspect grudgingly, raised my training level to productive though, so I’m happy.

I’m also going to start dietIng a bit more strictly again this week, and see if I can’t get back to 115kg during September. I’m tentatively targeting 100kg by Christmas and I might go public with that to force the issue.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #501 on: 07 September, 2020, 05:32:50 pm »
Good to see you back regularly running again Beardy.

I should set a target weight too.  My weight loss is bizarre:  I lose 2 or 3 kilos over a six week period then I plateau for six or so weeks.  I cannot fathom it as my eating habits aren't changing at all.  I should just be glad that some weight is coming off I guess.  🤔

« Reply #502 on: 07 September, 2020, 05:35:03 pm »
I completely befuddled my ToJ.  I went from detraining to peaking in less than an hour and it took more than a minute off my predicted 5k time.

I am beginning to love the quirkiness of the ToJ algorithms.  😉

« Reply #503 on: 07 September, 2020, 05:43:44 pm »
I had a good run today. As it was a bit cooler I decided to go for my third 10k and whilst it was my slowest it was all comfortable and well, not easy but not difficult difficult lemon difficult. In fact I was even considering pushing for 12.5 but, well I had reasons to stop where I stopped and go directly home without passing Go  :facepalm:

Cycling is still my true love but you can't beat running for just heading out the door and getting home again an hour later with a good workout under your belt. Will definitely be my go to exercise over the winter I think.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #504 on: 07 September, 2020, 06:08:10 pm »
I have hopes that my "new to me" tandem will start being deployed once or twice weekly over the autumn / winter / spring and I can start getting lots of stoker miles in but I was a runner before cycling and probably am a runner at heart.

I ran marathons long before I ever contemplated anything more than cycling to work.

« Reply #505 on: 08 September, 2020, 03:37:11 pm »
That was a very interesting morning.  It involved a man with a tripod, a mobile phone being used as a video camera, a gimbal also for said mobile phone, five pairs of running shoes, two locations and at the end, one very painful hawthorn bush. 

If I could post a picture of the hawthorn bush consequences I would.

And that's as much as I can share with you for at least two months...  🤫

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #506 on: 08 September, 2020, 03:59:31 pm »
 You tease, you.  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #507 on: 08 September, 2020, 05:04:00 pm »
Patience  Sir.   

« Reply #508 on: 09 September, 2020, 09:37:21 am »
That was a very interesting morning.  It involved a man with a tripod, a mobile phone being used as a video camera, a gimbal also for said mobile phone, five pairs of running shoes, two locations and at the end, one very painful hawthorn bush. 

If I could post a picture of the hawthorn bush consequences I would.

And that's as much as I can share with you for at least two months...  🤫

Hmm

The hawthorn bush will take 2 months to regrow and in the meantime it has taken out an injunction.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #509 on: 09 September, 2020, 10:47:48 am »
The hawthorn bush is entirely intact and gained traces of human flesh and blood after a sneak attack on me whilst I passed it.

I'm contemplating a visit armed with cutty things to show it just who is the boss ...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #510 on: 09 September, 2020, 01:11:30 pm »
I’ve just returned from a 7.6k session, although only the first six of that were actually run. I was exploring a new route and that first 6k was fine, but then the section I knew was going to be difficult turned out to be virtually impossible to run. By the time I’d navigated that part of the the route I’d cooled down and lost all momentum and trying to start running again, uphill1, was just too much. Choices are go and attack the nettles and brambles with a strummer, moan at the farm/council right of way Officer, or find an alternative. As this was part of the the route was an alternative to avoid going over an already travelled section of path, the last is probably the way to go.

I enjoyed the run though as it’s nearly all away from the main road and as I was aware of the potential difficult bit that wasn’t a downer either.

Go me.   ;D

1. FSVOH2
2. For Suffolk Values Of Hill.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #511 on: 09 September, 2020, 01:15:16 pm »
The hawthorn bush is entirely intact and gained traces of human flesh and blood after a sneak attack on me whilst I passed it.

I'm contemplating a visit armed with cutty things to show it just who is the boss ...
Is there cinematic evidence of your run in with the hawthorn Bush? If so, then be careful how you approach it because that  filum could be used as motive should you end up in court on a charge of ABH1

1. Actual Bush Harm. 8)

« Reply #512 on: 09 September, 2020, 03:45:38 pm »
Thank you for challenges on here and support.

This was my day off.  After 42 years of 5-7 days per week the concept of day off is quite frightening and I have never really used it but today I did.  I had to go in for a meeting and to dictate 2 urgent letters but was home by 9.  I then had breakfast, read the paper and almost got sucked into faffy WFH and although i meant to go for a run would have ended up wasting the day.  I read the latest replies here and went for my run.

It was a great run. 10k but done deliberately as a maffetone Zone 2 run.  It meant I walked almost all inclines but it was done in 80minutes and I loved it.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #513 on: 09 September, 2020, 04:06:10 pm »
I like the idea of a surgeon working from home, I can just imagine you Ona laptop controlling a remote robot to take it someone’s appendix1:D

I’m even happier that this thread proved to be a trigger for you going out for a run, it helped me get back on the road when I recently stumbled.

And some more technical jargon for me to learn <fires up Google to search maffetone> Every day’s a school day :thumbsup:

1. I apologise if I demean your skills, I do not mean to.

« Reply #514 on: 09 September, 2020, 06:08:55 pm »

Is there cinematic evidence of your run in with the hawthorn Bush? If so, then be careful how you approach it because that  filum could be used as motive should you end up in court on a charge of ABH1

1. Actual Bush Harm. 8)

There is both cinematic evidence of the encounter and the injuries caused to "both parties".  I assert that I was am-bush-ed in an unprovoked attack and that at no time was any injury caused to my assailant. 

There certainly will not be any cinematic evidence of an unidentified person wielding secateurs and thick gardening gloves ...

« Reply #515 on: 09 September, 2020, 08:14:49 pm »
I see that Parkrun is due to restart at the end oc October in England.  Anybody fancy doing a Parkrun on that morning and comparing notes?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #516 on: 09 September, 2020, 09:29:36 pm »
I see that Parkrun is due to restart at the end oc October in England.  Anybody fancy doing a Parkrun on that morning and comparing notes?
I shall be avoiding gatherings with strangers for the foreseeable, although I do believe that by then we will be back in lockdown for reasons that I believe to be quite well known.

« Reply #517 on: 10 September, 2020, 06:14:47 am »

Whilst the risk of catching Covid outside is extremely low.  less than 5% of the inside risk is what I have heard, the first Parkrun does not seem sensible to me. 

« Reply #518 on: 10 September, 2020, 07:22:18 am »
Fair enough.  I might actually go to Northampton on the Friday before if travel is still allowed by train and do the Parkrun course there.   I have my doubts about that being possible though.

Other news:  been out for a gentle 5k on the local Sustrans trail.  Pleasantly fresh morning and enjoyable to boot.

Happy Bear!  🙂🙃😉🙃🙂

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #519 on: 11 September, 2020, 12:46:03 pm »
7.4k with Jeff joining me for the second half. A bit slow though, and I think that was purely down to energy reserves. Running and dieting at the same time is going to need a bit more thought me thinks.

Mostly the same route as Wednesday but without the stingy nettlie bit. It’s developing into a nice route and I think it’s got potential to be extended as needed.

I’m happy.

« Reply #520 on: 11 September, 2020, 01:29:05 pm »
Well I'm meant to run today but I didn't exercise at all yesterday (due to a dizzy spell sitting on my desk chair - and no I wasn't spinning it around).

So I think I'll move the run to tomorrow and knock off early from work today and go ride my bike for a couple of hours.

I'd normally ride after work but Friday evenings are for pizza, beer, a film and some chocolate.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #521 on: 15 September, 2020, 09:26:28 am »
Yesterday’s excuse is also today’s excuse. It’s too warm to go for a run.

It won’t be long before there will be too much WEATHER to go for a run, so I suppose I should really get of my arse and get out there. But it is very warm.

« Reply #522 on: 15 September, 2020, 12:13:43 pm »
Too warm for me plus some real life has got in the way.  The plan is to be out on Thursxay then every other day until the end of next week.

Hope to start a half marathon training plan at the start of October with the aim of doing a half maratbon distance on the anniversary of my C25K venture in January.  22nd iirc.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #523 on: 15 September, 2020, 01:19:31 pm »
Glad to hear from you PB because I was beginning to worry. I hope real life isn’t causing you too much angst and that you can get it resolved soon.
I might look of a half marathon training plan and join you at the begging I of October.

« Reply #524 on: 15 September, 2020, 01:53:20 pm »
I had a bad weekend with too much food and wine.  Then monday was also bad with a load of carbs.  Today I had a 7 hour Zoom meeting so knew I needed some endorphins!

Up at a reasonable time and out with a plan of doing a steady 5km.  Well it dd not go to plan at all.

I set off and felt really well, the temperature was perfect, the light was perfect, the dew was perfect.  So I ran.  I ignored all my plans to be steady, I pushed up the hilly bits, I lengthened my stride and almost bounded down the downhill pavement.  I even put in a sprint in the last few hundred metres.

I got PBs for 5km, 2 mile, 1 mile,1k and second fastest 500m.

Very happy.