Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
The Pub / Re: What have you fettled today?
« Last post by De Sisti on Today at 12:22:11 pm »
Removed a 10-speed, long-cage, Campagnolo rear derailleiur (now for-sale) and replaced
it with a Daytona variant.
Racing / Re: RATN 2024.
« Last post by slugbait on Today at 12:20:51 pm »
Any predictions for the winners? In the women's category I guess that Nicole van Batenburg is the favorite, but to be honest none of the other names are familiar to me.

In the men's category, we have two previous winners, Lennart Nap and Bas Vlaskamp. Next to that Bernhard Ritter, who has done well in the Three Peaks bike race. And then there is Ralf Ringenaldus: a fast audax rider who can easily maintain average speeds of over 30km/h on a 600km-brevet, even when he's riding solo. I don't know his ambitions, but I think he has potential.

In the pair's category, I'm rooting for Martin and Trudy Scholte Lubberink, but I'm pretty sure that they are aiming for a finish on Sunday evening.
The Pub / Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Last post by Cudzoziemiec on Today at 12:09:14 pm »
I'd expect it's something more arcane about how many trains of what type they can keep overnight in which depot.
Probably.
However they were clearly reading this thread, as it was a 6 carriage train yesterday...
What links: Mussolini, Swiss precision, YACF Grumble Thread?

They are the only things that can make trains run on time.
Health & Fitness / Re: Cross Training: Swimming
« Last post by L CC on Today at 12:07:21 pm »
I do a group lesson once a week. I'm in the bottom half speed wise but I'm not the worst. My technique isn't actually that bad, but teacher is definitely focused on getting faster in a pool (she's always nagging us to kick harder and taking advantage of the push off) whereas I want to swim easier, really,
Online quizzes / Re: Squaredle
« Last post by Wowbagger on Today at 12:06:10 pm »
I played https://squaredle.com 04/26:
*56/56 words (+8 bonus words)
🎯 In the top 16% by accuracy
🔥 Solve streak: 5

I played https://squaredle.com/xp 04/26:
*22/22 words (+1 bonus word)
🎯 Perfect accuracy
A Carradice-type saddlebag used on the bars seems to be the thing among bikepackers particularly transpondic nowadays.

I've just got a Tailfin to try it out. Normally I don't like roll tops as I think they are a pain to access and not necessary, but I thought I'd try it as lots of people rave about them. Not used it yet.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on Frank.
The issue with the rack-pack for me isn't, necessarily, the roll top it's more the 3 straps that you have to undo to get anything out of the bag. Then you have to connect them all again. With luck, they haven't dropped onto your oily chain.....I know there's a side pocket but that's too small to be any use at all.
OTOH, I love how stable the rack is and the mini-panniers are excellent and they don't wobble around at all.

Back on topic: I don't camp so I don't need a tent and all the other paraphernalia but I've found that even "rigidly" mounted seat-packs cause too much sway when I'm out of the saddle, hence my preference for the Tailfin rack.
I've also got a Tailfin top-tube bag and, on longer tours, I use a small frame-bag and a "quick on-off" Ortlieb handle-bar bag. The Ortlieb is useful for keeping valuables in and it also helps to even up the weight across the bike.

You can get a matching set of Tailfin kit Rabbit but it'll cost you. Rack-pack aside, it works really well.

The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by Mr Larrington on Today at 11:39:48 am »
Murders In The Rue Morgue ~ Iron Maiden
Online quizzes / Re: Squaredle
« Last post by Pingu on Today at 11:39:35 am »
I played https://squaredle.com 04/26:
*56/56 words (+5 bonus words)
🎯 In the top 12% by accuracy
🔥 Solve streak: 29
Certain bags suit their certain uses.

Ortlieb panniers are great for carrying more stuff, but add weight and encourage even more weight.
Bikepacking bags are amazing for bikepacking offroad, on-road they work but difficult access isnt offset by any real benfit, for anything but bikepacking they are crap.
Classic handlebar bag and Saddle bag (carradice style), brilliant for general ease of use and access, not great off-road or if you need more space.

My favourite road bikepacking setup was an ortlieb handlebar bag and carradice saddle bag. Just enough space for small sleeping bag, tiny tent and a lightweight (i.e. no excess clothing or spare shoes etc.) set-up.
For offroad i use Wildcat gear bags, compact, fit my bike but very much only accessed for camp setup. Frame bag used for general access stuff.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10