Author Topic: system ex hubs  (Read 6836 times)

guidon

• formerly known as cyclone
system ex hubs
« on: 04 April, 2019, 07:24:06 pm »
I have bought on of these with the idea of building up a rear wheel, double fixed. My problem is this - it was supplied without lockrings. So does anyone know what thread they are and where I can get some?? They are not the same size as Miche.... (king of dodgy purchases me...) Many thanks!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: system ex hubs
« Reply #1 on: 04 April, 2019, 07:40:54 pm »
Why should they be dodgy?  Amongst others they're used by Spa Cycles who offer custom builds with them.

At a guess if anyone knows the lockring thread size it will be the guys at Spa...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

guidon

« Reply #2 on: 04 April, 2019, 07:51:42 pm »
John I wasn't implying that the hub is dodgy, merely my lust for end of line bargains!....Will try Spa if Ian H doesn't add his opinion, Surly do lockrings which should fit but I'm not sure....

dat

« Reply #3 on: 04 April, 2019, 07:52:29 pm »
I have bought on of these with the idea of building up a rear wheel, double fixed. My problem is this - it was supplied without lockrings. So does anyone know what thread they are and where I can get some?? They are not the same size as Miche.... (king of dodgy purchases me...) Many thanks!
Miche lockrings aren't ISO (1.29" x 24 tpi) threaded, they're the same as Campy and Phil Wood (33.6 x 24TPI)

« Reply #4 on: 04 April, 2019, 08:41:56 pm »
I've not used lockrings for years — it's quite hard to unscrew a cog after you've ridden up a couple of hills, unless you're really into skid stops and enjoy replacing tyres.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

guidon

« Reply #5 on: 04 April, 2019, 10:04:09 pm »
Thus Miche and Campy must be italian threaded, it is very unlikely that System ex will be french(!) thus must be ISO..... will double check...Many thanks all!

« Reply #6 on: 05 April, 2019, 08:25:32 am »
Thus Miche and Campy must be italian threaded, it is very unlikely that System ex will be french(!) thus must be ISO..... will double check...Many thanks all!

PM sent!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 05 April, 2019, 11:53:48 am »
System EX/Formula etc are ISO.  Only Campag, Miche and Phil Wood use the Italian size that I know of.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #8 on: 05 April, 2019, 12:24:45 pm »
I've not used lockrings for years — it's quite hard to unscrew a cog after you've ridden up a couple of hills, unless you're really into skid stops and enjoy replacing tyres.

I was the same until I unspooled my commuter's rear cog on the first descent from my house one morning last month, and I haven't touched that wheel in years.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

rogerzilla

« Reply #9 on: 06 April, 2019, 10:09:35 am »
If you put a sprocket on with a 2 foot chainwhip, you're using about 5-6x the torque that your legs can apply through the cranks and the gearing.  However, if you ride a CTT time trial on a fixie and only have a front brake, you are required to have a lockring.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 06 April, 2019, 10:16:04 am »
My chainwhips have 300mm handles and many chainwhips have somewhat shorter handles.

A cold Al hub will contract more than a steel cog, so it becomes easier to get the cog off, which might explain Ivan's experience.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

« Reply #11 on: 20 April, 2019, 11:23:10 am »
You need to make your own chainwhip!  The ideal length is the diameter of a 700c wheel, plus a hand's width.  All you need is a piece of flat steel bar, a drill, a hammer and punch, and some bits of 1/8" chain.  I wrapped bar tape around the handle end.

guidon

« Reply #12 on: 07 June, 2019, 02:55:32 pm »
Indeed "british" thread - many thanks to Mzjo for his kind donation of vintage bits. Have'nt bothered with the lockring as it wouldn't screw on the hub so after constructing a "Zilla" chainwhip will doubt that it will ever come loose!!!! Have now fettled forks so that I have at least a front brake as its a little sketchy round here brakeless (motons abound!!!)....Looking forward to getting a few rides in....