Author Topic: Corrupted FIT files from Wahoo Roam  (Read 1578 times)

dod

Corrupted FIT files from Wahoo Roam
« on: 27 August, 2023, 07:38:18 pm »
I've never seen this problem before, but of course it has to happen on the two rides I did during PBP  :facepalm:

My Wahoo Roam v1 has syncronised with the Elemnt app, and they both list the correct distance/elevation/etc but the line on the map does not show the full ride. When I upload to Strava, it only includes the section covered by the line on the map, so my 600km to Brest is only showing as 324km. However if I upload the same activity to RidewithGPS, it reports the correct distance and other info (e.g. elevation for the full distance), but only shows the first 324km on the map. The interactive marker on the elevation graph also won't go beyond the ~324km mark.

Presumably there is some corruption in the file, does anyone have any tips on how to fix or diagnose the problem?

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
Re: Corrupted FIT files from Wahoo Roam
« Reply #1 on: 27 August, 2023, 09:42:48 pm »
Have you tried gotoes.org?

dod

« Reply #2 on: 27 August, 2023, 10:01:21 pm »
Have you tried gotoes.org?

Thanks, I've just tried uploading there with no success, so I've contacted them to ask for help.

« Reply #3 on: 28 August, 2023, 08:46:49 am »
You may have to accept that the file is corrupt beyond repair.

dod

« Reply #4 on: 28 August, 2023, 03:09:31 pm »
You may have to accept that the file is corrupt beyond repair.

I know, it might take a while to get over it though  :-\

It seems strange that the two files across 3 days will both hit corruption problems - would this happen during the sync to the phone app, or could the high temperatures have an effect on the Wahoo itself?

« Reply #5 on: 28 August, 2023, 03:17:24 pm »
Can you plug it into a computer, and copy the files off?

How big are the files? Maybe some sort of limit on file size, or it ran out of memory?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6 on: 28 August, 2023, 03:23:25 pm »
I've had this before, if the fit file is ok and it's the wahoo service's own processing that's messed up then copying it over usb and uploading it to other services will reveal this.
The distance being right on device and summary on wahoo and rwgps may be an indication of that.
If the fit file is faulty but somehow the wahoo has kept track and been able to submit the summary correctly to itself and onto rwgps then i'm afraid you're stuffed for the track.

IIRC RWGPS just believes the summary data in the file and shows it, Strava does not and recalculates everything, which is why you often see discrepancies if you use both.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 28 August, 2023, 05:49:48 pm »
I've had this before, if the fit file is ok and it's the wahoo service's own processing that's messed up then copying it over usb and uploading it to other services will reveal this.
The distance being right on device and summary on wahoo and rwgps may be an indication of that.
If the fit file is faulty but somehow the wahoo has kept track and been able to submit the summary correctly to itself and onto rwgps then i'm afraid you're stuffed for the track.

IIRC RWGPS just believes the summary data in the file and shows it, Strava does not and recalculates everything, which is why you often see discrepancies if you use both.

If you don't want to have to faff with cables and computer sync, consider also adding dropbox to the sync options in the element app. This will put the .fit file on dropbox, and you can then process it manually from there.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #8 on: 28 August, 2023, 06:34:06 pm »
In the fit file, the summary record is maintained separate from the detail records on the device. Thus the summary can be correct whilst the detail has got corrupted.

dod

« Reply #9 on: 29 August, 2023, 10:38:32 pm »
Thanks Phil, I managed to get the files to load in GPX Editor and in both cases the lat/long gets stuck with the same values in each entry for the last part of the file. Weirdly the elevation seems to be correct for each entry. I'll just have to save the longer rides in parts and stitch them back together afterwards.