Author Topic: Bag a Bickerton......yes or no?  (Read 8015 times)

Bag a Bickerton......yes or no?
« on: 23 July, 2010, 05:35:13 pm »
Have seen a reasonably priced Bickerton, want something to throw in the back of the car for a gentle ride now and then.  Just looking for general opinions really.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Bag a Bickerton......yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2010, 05:48:49 pm »
No, it's a flexy museum piece.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2010, 05:51:58 pm »
...and I think they stopped making them in 1991, so it must be at least 19 years old (although it could be like Trigger's broom!)
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2010, 06:43:37 pm »
Think I will take that as a no then  ;D

« Reply #4 on: 23 July, 2010, 07:21:44 pm »
I am ashamed to say that I was once involved in the semi-deliberate breaking of the frame hinge of a Bikerton by means of bunnyhopping / <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kgna_GC1O0s&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/kgna_GC1O0s&rel=1</a>. Ridden harshly, they last less than 10 minutes.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #6 on: 23 July, 2010, 09:21:32 pm »
I had one for a while n the late 90's and it scared the Hell out of me so that I hardly ever used it and passed it on for peanuts.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #7 on: 23 July, 2010, 09:33:53 pm »
must say that I am soooo glad to have posted this as I was getting quite giddy with the thought of chucking a bike in a bum bag and off to the hills as it were.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #8 on: 24 July, 2010, 12:31:09 pm »
I had one for a while n the late 90's and it scared the Hell out of me so that I hardly ever used it and passed it on for peanuts.

Which is probably why they are the folder of choice for nuns... (see Bickerton ad)

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #9 on: 24 July, 2010, 12:34:56 pm »
I've never seen a nun riding one, but never seen a Bickerton except for the TV ad.  They used to play that ad a lot.

« Reply #10 on: 27 July, 2010, 01:21:03 pm »
I recently picked up a Bickerton for cheap. It's fun to ride but the main beam is so flexy at the hinge that it feels like its going to snap any minute. I've no idea if they're all like that or if mine is a pup, but it's not very confidence inspiring...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: 27 July, 2010, 02:32:35 pm »
Bickertons all ride as if they are made from over-cooked spaghetti, the amount of flex varies by their age (less for the heavier, newer versions).  Just one of the idiosyncrasies of the bike, along with very tall gearing and some (occasionally worrying) creaking...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #12 on: 30 July, 2010, 10:47:15 pm »
I recently picked up a Bickerton for cheap. It's fun to ride but the main beam is so flexy at the hinge that it feels like its going to snap any minute. I've no idea if they're all like that or if mine is a pup, but it's not very confidence inspiring...

IME, they don't snap as much as let go. I suspect that so long as you aren't going too fast, you could bring one to a halt.

I wouldn't want to go more than 20mph on one.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #13 on: 30 July, 2010, 10:54:15 pm »
When Mrs. Wow and I were on the Bawdsey ferry the other day a chap riding a Bickerton got on. I've got some photographs of it with our tandem.

The guy bought a couple on Ebay and I don't really know why he was so keen to ride them. He said that he wouldn't do more than a 5 miles trip on one and they were so prone to coming apart that he wouldn't ever go quickly either.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #14 on: 31 July, 2010, 09:33:09 am »
Bickertons all ride as if they are made from over-cooked spaghetti, the amount of flex varies by their age (less for the heavier, newer versions).  Just one of the idiosyncrasies of the bike, along with very tall gearing and some (occasionally worrying) creaking...

.... that's about it - I likened mine to "riding a bag of aluminium tent poles" - I bought it in a moment of weakness, but sold it 3 years later at a profit   

>>Dave, I do believe you had a ride of my Bickerton at an Origami ride at Meriden??

Rob

« Reply #15 on: 07 August, 2010, 06:12:23 am »
My dad still rides his (and he wouldn't have any trouble affording a Brompton if he wanted one), and these days spares are readily available. It is slightly smaller folded and a good deal lighter than a Brompton, and the way the bike fits into the vast canvas handlebar bag is ingenious. On the other hand the ride is a trifle idiosyncratic.

« Reply #16 on: 10 August, 2010, 06:15:37 pm »
Idiosyncratic in what way?  Don't all small-wheeled bike have an idiosyncratic ride?  Or does someone I haven't heard of make one that has a nice relaxed geometry you can ride no-handed?  I can't manage that on my Brompton or my 20" Dahon...

« Reply #17 on: 11 August, 2010, 03:37:31 am »
The Bickerton (google a picture of it to save me describing something pictures of are readily available) twists about the main girder, and also the handlebars can easily be moved back and forth. When I say the ride is idiosyncratic, I say that to address people who've ridden them before. To someone who hasn't I would describe the ride as "incredibly disconcerting".

« Reply #18 on: 11 August, 2010, 11:28:08 am »
Incredibly disconcerting is one way of putting it. Downright scary is another! As I mentioned before, the amount of flex around the hinge on the main tube (along with the constant creaking) make me think the thing will snap any minute. Fun though ;D

And at least mine has the later hinge design that you can push shut with your foot as you ride along when it starts to come undone...

« Reply #19 on: 11 August, 2010, 12:03:40 pm »
Idiosyncratic in what way?  Don't all small-wheeled bike have an idiosyncratic ride?  Or does someone I haven't heard of make one that has a nice relaxed geometry you can ride no-handed?  I can't manage that on my Brompton or my 20" Dahon...

I can ride my Brompton no-handed.

« Reply #20 on: 11 August, 2010, 12:56:45 pm »
It is slightly smaller folded and a good deal lighter than a Brompton

Lighter maybe - but smaller?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21 on: 11 August, 2010, 01:01:45 pm »
Depending on the Brompton's specific configuration, the Bickerton can be somewhat smaller.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #22 on: 11 August, 2010, 09:15:39 pm »
Corrrr, never knew that!

« Reply #23 on: 12 August, 2010, 06:03:27 pm »
It is slightly smaller folded and a good deal lighter than a Brompton
Lighter maybe - but smaller?

For sure. My father was asking about borrowing mine, and wanted to check that it would fit in a suitcase which his Bickerton readily fits in; it doesn't. I don't have a rear rack, but I do have an extended seatpost.