Author Topic: Shimano replacement disk pads.  (Read 11373 times)

Shimano replacement disk pads.
« on: 19 January, 2021, 08:55:40 am »
Hope you can help! I am constantly confused by Shimano and their numbering.  I am looking to replace disk pads on my Ultegra hydraulic disk brakes which are I believe are BR8070.

Having looked in the Shimano website there are lots of pads compatible with the numbers BR8070 but with lots of other letters.  Can I use all of them or just some?

Feeling a bit dense to be honest.

Re: Shimano replacement disk pads.
« Reply #2 on: 19 January, 2021, 09:02:21 am »
Hi Dominic

The pads you need will be common to these Shimano brakes:

BR-R9170-F, BR-R9170-R, BR-R8070-F, BR-R8070-R, BR-R7070-F, BR-R7070-R, BR-4770-F, BR-4770-R, BR-RS805-F, BR-RS805-R, BR-RS505, BR-RS405-F, BR-RS405-R, BR-RS305, BR-U5000, BR-RX810-F, BR-RX810-R, BR-RX400-F, BR-RX400-R

Also you dont need to use Shimano branded pads, there are alternatives from pad manufacturers that will fit.

« Reply #3 on: 19 January, 2021, 09:27:27 am »
Thanks for that very helpful.  HF I am sure that one could run and run!!

I was only looking at Shimano if I am being honest because that is what the local bike shop used the last time. I am going to give it a go this time myself.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 19 January, 2021, 10:19:49 am »
I recently replaced some Shimano L03A brake pads with a set of J03A pads. Those are both 'Ice Tech' models with cooling fins. The shape of the finned section is slightly different but otherwise I have no idea how they justify the difference in price.

Either way, whether they have the cooling fins or not, the most important thing is getting a pad that's the right size and shape to fit your brake callipers.

Also, are you aware of the different types of compounds used in disc brake pads? ie resin/organic vs metal/sintered (took me a long time to get to grips with this one)

Shimano compatibility chart might be helpful (though obviously the compatible non-Shimano pads that HF mentioned won't be listed here):
https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com?cid=C-460&acid=C-192
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5 on: 19 January, 2021, 11:03:03 am »
Thanks for that very helpful.  HF I am sure that one could run and run!!

I was only looking at Shimano if I am being honest because that is what the local bike shop used the last time. I am going to give it a go this time myself.

You can't go wrong with Shimano branded pads, they work well. The fin thing is not essential. As citoyen says, you just need to make sure you use the right shaped pad.  You have a choice of pad material too. I tend to go for the ones with the greatest stopping power, rather than worry about wear life.

Discobrakes has a load of copies in all materials. They work pretty well.

Davef

Shimano replacement disk pads.
« Reply #6 on: 19 January, 2021, 11:06:02 am »
I recently replaced some Shimano L03A brake pads with a set of J03A pads. Those are both 'Ice Tech' models with cooling fins. The shape of the finned section is slightly different but otherwise I have no idea how they justify the difference in price.

Either way, whether they have the cooling fins or not, the most important thing is getting a pad that's the right size and shape to fit your brake callipers.

Also, are you aware of the different types of compounds used in disc brake pads? ie resin/organic vs metal/sintered (took me a long time to get to grips with this one)

Shimano compatibility chart might be helpful (though obviously the compatible non-Shimano pads that HF mentioned won't be listed here):
https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com?cid=C-460&acid=C-192
I thought J and L series were for different generations of calipers. I don’t think they are meant to be interchangeable.

The letter is the model of the caliper, the number is the material 02 resin, 03 better resin, 04 metal. The final A is for aluminium backing plate.

citoyen

« Reply #7 on: 19 January, 2021, 11:39:52 am »
I thought J and L series were for different generations of calipers. I don’t think they are meant to be interchangeable.

Sounds plausible. According to the compatibility chart, the J series (finned) are 'standard' for my RS785 brakes and the G series (non-finned) are an 'option', but the L series ('standard' for the DA R9170 groupset) seem to be identical in size and shape, as far as I can tell. At least, they both fit neatly in the callipers. I'll let you know if I die horribly due to brake failure.

The letter is the model of the caliper, the number is the material 02 resin, 03 better resin, 04 metal. The final A is for aluminium backing plate.

Thanks for clarifying. I had more or less worked out that was what the numbers meant but it's helpful to have it spelled out.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 23 January, 2021, 10:01:21 am »
I decided that because I had used Swiss stop brake blocks on my rim brakes I would do the same for the disk brakes.  Fitted them this morning.  The metal clip provided with them especially for the price was extremely flimsy so used the one from the Shimano pads that I replaced.  Made sure I pushed the pistons back all the way (have now done this several times), pads slotted in nicely to my eye, but the disk is now rubbing.  Have refitted the pads, loosened the calliper and retightened while holding the brake lever, seems to make no difference. I have however noticed that when I loosen the calliper there is no rub.

Anything obvious I have missed?

« Reply #9 on: 23 January, 2021, 10:06:02 am »
Yes, you arent using a brake clam to centre them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Birzman-Unisexs-Brake-Indicator-Silver/dp/B00306MRC0

Just trust me on this  ;)

« Reply #10 on: 23 January, 2021, 10:23:52 am »
I'll let you know if I die horribly due to brake failure.

Citoyen. Citoyen ?

« Reply #11 on: 23 January, 2021, 11:26:09 am »
Well if the hydro disc brake failure doesn't get him the exploding tubeless tyres certainly will.

Or he might get electrocuted by his own DI2

citoyen

« Reply #12 on: 23 January, 2021, 11:27:45 am »
I’ve avoided the issue by not going out on my bike since writing that. It’s the only way to be safe. In fact, I’ve not even left my bed, since I read that most accidents in the home happen while getting out of bed.

« Reply #13 on: 23 January, 2021, 11:29:09 am »
I’ve avoided the issue by not going out on my bike since writing that. It’s the only way to be safe. In fact, I’ve not even left my bed, since I read that most accidents in the home happen while getting out of bed.

You need to look up the stats on where most people die.

Incredibly dangerous places, beds.

citoyen

« Reply #14 on: 23 January, 2021, 11:38:51 am »

You need to look up the stats on where most people die.

Incredibly dangerous places, beds.

Fuck. I'm going out for a bike ride. Far too dangerous in here.

citoyen

« Reply #15 on: 23 January, 2021, 11:45:52 am »
I recently replaced some Shimano L03A brake pads with a set of J03A pads.

I just checked this and it seems I misremembered... I replaced the worn out J02A pads with some L02A pads. It was last May I did this, and I've done a few miles since then without dying.

The L02A pads are what was originally supplied with the bike, despite the Shimano charts claiming they're not compatible with my RS785 callipers. ETA: on further investigation, I think the bike actually came with F01A pads, which are now obsolete, so the L02A must be replacements I fitted at some point. And the callipers are R785, not RS785, which seems to make a difference as far as Shimano are concerned with regard to which pads to use. I'm guessing that the J series are the replacement in the line-up for the F series. Such an unnecessarily complicated business.

« Reply #16 on: 23 January, 2021, 02:00:42 pm »

I’ve just ordered one of those. The LBS replaced my pads recently while doing some other stuff. Yesterday I took the wheel out to clear out some mudguard grot, put the wheel back in with the wheels on the ground, and I now have disc rub. Centring the caliper by using the brake doesn’t seem to be that reliable so hopefully that gadget will simplify matters.

I used to have a particular posh business card for this purpose but I’ve lost it and that looks like a better job.

« Reply #17 on: 05 February, 2021, 11:26:57 am »

After what seemed an eternity for this arrive From SJS cycles, it has sorted my issue perfectly.

Thanks all for the advice.