Author Topic: Mandatory number plates for commuting to school  (Read 9739 times)

Re: Mandatory number plates for commuting to school
« Reply #50 on: 27 September, 2018, 03:56:21 pm »
Maybe the newer drivers were more likely to have ridden bikes themselves (compared to few generations before them).

[ I have no data to back up or refute this idea.. ]
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

essexian

« Reply #51 on: 27 September, 2018, 03:57:33 pm »
Now, if we are talking about safety, how about the Government funding the Police to do something about this:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/27/british-road-deaths-without-seatbelts-hit-record-level

Sorry, I have little sympathy for people hurt this way. It's not like the benefits haven't been known for many, many years!

« Reply #52 on: 27 September, 2018, 04:15:26 pm »
I wonder whether Imprezza drivers are merely MAMILs-in-a-suitable-car (or even MTBers). I know that the editor of Pistonheads used to drive a Forester STi - often with MTBs on the roof...

Reminds me of one of the best "slow down - wait for straight bit, get onto the other side of the road and blast past in a symphony of mechanical engineering" passes I had this year was an immaculate Lancia Delta Evo. I sat up and applauded, the car and the driving!  :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #53 on: 28 September, 2018, 11:45:10 am »
Scoobies seem to have a very different demographic in Leftpondia where, I believe, rallying is not a Big Thing.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #54 on: 28 September, 2018, 02:38:05 pm »
Now, if we are talking about safety, how about the Government funding the Police to do something about this:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/27/british-road-deaths-without-seatbelts-hit-record-level

Sorry, I have little sympathy for people hurt this way. It's not like the benefits haven't been known for many, many years!

A major problem is that the media never speculate on seatbelt wearing, but always mention helmet wearing. The former is a legal requirement, the latter isn't.
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #55 on: 28 September, 2018, 02:58:22 pm »
There is or used to be a seatbelt exemption for people making delivery rounds and I think for taxi drivers too. I've just seen the recycling collection lorry going down the street, the driver and outside passenger were belted up but the middle-seat passenger was not. Possibly taking advantage of the exemption but more likely I'd guess it's just difficult to find and click in the central belt.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #56 on: 28 September, 2018, 07:29:13 pm »

A major problem is that the media never speculate on seatbelt wearing, but always mention helmet wearing. The former is a legal requirement, the latter isn't.

Yes, but if cyclists and pedestrians die, it's their own fault. If drivers die, it's always someone (or something) else's fault.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #57 on: 29 September, 2018, 02:23:21 pm »
I took the coach from Thiefrow to Woking last week and for the first time in living memory the driver reminded everyone that the wearing of seat belts was mandatory.

« Reply #58 on: 30 September, 2018, 09:18:12 am »
Although the early evidence was that the introduction of seat belts was followed by a decrease in casualties inside cars, and a corresponding increase in those outside.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #59 on: 30 September, 2018, 10:17:50 am »
Although the early evidence was that the introduction of seat belts was followed by a decrease in casualties inside cars, and a corresponding increase in those outside.

https://www.bmj.com/rapid-response/2011/10/28/setbelt-legislation-additional-information

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #60 on: 01 October, 2018, 10:58:11 am »
Interesting article.

I note this observation:
Seatbelt wearing is being pushed at a time when there is an
apparent policy of non-enforcement of the speed regulations in Irish
towns. In residential areas 68% of drivers break the existing,
excessively high, speed limits.

My immediate thought is the ease of observation of a binary condition, ie seat-belt wearing vs. non seat-belt wearing. Police can be seen to be "doing something" that the public can easily corroborate because it's an objective measure (ie the occupants are either wearing a seatbelt or not) whereas it's not always obvious when a motorist is speeding.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #61 on: 01 October, 2018, 01:14:02 pm »
Veering wildly off course, like a warship on double yellows, but the "risky driving group" seems to have changed over the last few years. It used to be boy racers who blitzed past you. Now it seems all the boy racers (including those who are girls) are well behaved.

I've had similar thoughts.  The main threat from boy racers is that they'll throw the remains of their McDonalds (or the dozen eggs they must keep in the glove compartment just in case) at you, rather than bad driving.  Evidence of participation in some form of actual motorsport, rather than simply kevving up hatchbacks, is usually a good sign - I assume because they have nothing to prove when they're on the road.  I suspect insurance premiums are a strong influencing factor.

It's also because most of us have crashed. We've made use of properly fitted - permanently fixed - seats, six point harnesses, helmets, roll cages and fireproofs. In 15 years of rallying I've had at least six crashes (and numerous minor knocks that would stop a road car) where I've relied on a combination of those to keep me safe. Crashing in a car without any extra safety gear (even airbags and three point lap and shoulder seatbelts) scares the bejeezus out of me!

I have no issues doing 100+ miles an hour on a country road or forest track as long as I'm safe in the knowledge the route is strictly controlled and closed and there is a medical crew on standby at the stage start. On a public road without any of that I know where the limits of the car and my abilities are. Something missing from many peoples understanding.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #62 on: 01 October, 2018, 03:19:00 pm »
Stanley Park High is clearly trying to emulate Fenland Poly in its approach to cycling.  When I studied there over 30 years ago, all bikes in college and department bike sheds had these numbers.  So it's not a new thing.

https://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/cambridge-life/transport/bicycles-and-boats

Quote from: Cambridge University Advice to Students
As a precaution against theft, all junior members of the University who have bicycles in Cambridge are required to have them marked with a number. Numbers are issued by the Colleges and should be clearly displayed, preferably on the rear mudguard.

[Mode: Sarcasm=On] The provision of numbers on all student bikes in Cambridge significantly reduced the number of cyclists there.[Mode: Sarcasm=Off]

The only difference appears to be the stated purpose of these numbers.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #63 on: 01 October, 2018, 03:54:42 pm »
When various Oxford colleges mandated those numbers, they were basically to stop the bike sheds filling up with broken or forgotten bikes. Every so often they would have a cull and tell anyone who hadn't updated their sticker they were going to the tip. The theft thing was clearly BS - you could just rip the stickers off!
That's a bit different to carrying a number plate so you can be identifiable by the public when riding to school.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #64 on: 01 October, 2018, 04:01:16 pm »

« Reply #65 on: 01 October, 2018, 04:26:24 pm »
My understanding was that the rule is regularly ignored, if only because students have had their bike nicked and haven't yet got round to painting the number on, and that it's only ever checked when the colleges are clearing the deaf machines out of the bike stands. If this were kind of frame marking that was being discussed I don't think there would be a problem, but it's clearly not.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

« Reply #67 on: 04 October, 2018, 04:54:55 pm »
The Cowley Car College surely?