Author Topic: What are you having for supper tonight?  (Read 328776 times)

Re: What are you having for supper tonight?
« Reply #3350 on: 05 February, 2021, 12:45:50 pm »
Hmm, not sure.
I made some soup yesterday, first time in years. Potato, leek, onion and carrot, salt, pepper and a veggie stock cube, simmered for a couple of hours last night then another hour this morning.
I'd planned we would have it tonight but sadly, in the words of Prof Denzil Dexter, the results were disappointing, just lacking in flavour. Does The Panel have any suggestions to perk it up a bit?  We don't do spicy, I thought about adding some bits of ham. Any thoughts?

TBH, I'm tempted to throw it out and get a fish supper instead!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3351 on: 05 February, 2021, 01:22:11 pm »
I think it may be slightly overcooked....  in my view, the veg should only just be cooked and then the bulk blizted with the remainder providing some texture.  If you cook it too long the flavour of the veg is lost.

Smoked ham/lardons is a possibility - or sour cream with garlic.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #3352 on: 05 February, 2021, 02:15:26 pm »
Try adding a bit of mustard (powder or ready made). Gives a bit of zing without the lethal flavour-killing effects of chilli.
Alternatively, I also often put a pinch of ground cloves in veggies soups or stews - sort of adds warmth...

ian

« Reply #3353 on: 05 February, 2021, 02:21:10 pm »
That's way too long a cooking time. Cook till the potatoes are done (about 20 mins) and, as Reg says, then blitz for texture. After a couple of hours you've made dishwater.

Potato and leak soup is generally a bit bland, imo. Adding double cream and cheese at the end (off the heat, otherwise the cream might split) and some chopped parsley improves matters. And make sure you cook the leek, onion, and carrot through the point where they're ready to colour (and that'll bring out the flavour, also use butter).

Or chowderize it, use the same base (I'm not sure on onion and leek, I'd use leek and finely chopped celery) add some sweetcorn towards the end of the potatoes cooking, let that cook and then blitz till mostly smooth and drop in some smoked haddock and let it poach in the soup till it starts to come apart (5-6 minutes, it should come apart if you lift the fillet with a fork), then add cream and smoked cheddar.

Serve with a fresh baguette.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3354 on: 05 February, 2021, 07:27:43 pm »
Spaghetti with Marmite

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/spaghetti-with-marmite

Gotta give it a go :P
That sounds perfectly fine to me, could also be nice with the likes of Rigatone or Fusili - altho I'd most likely do it with Vegemite.

That's what I thought - reasonably worth a try for the reasons described. But pushed back to tomorrow.

Damn Nigella claiming ownership of that recipe. I’ve been making it for years - it’s an easy can’t-be-bothered dish when all you want is stodge. Great for hangovers.

Definitely has to be made with spaghetti though - it’s a textural thing. You want the slithery slipperiness of spaghetti drenched in butter with the salty tang of marmite and cheese. Mmmmmm.

Was going to make fish fingers for dinner tonight but now I might change my mind...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3355 on: 08 February, 2021, 02:08:04 pm »
Last night was comfort food, grilled sausages, creamy mashed potato, sprouts, carrots and brocolli, topped off with gravy that was made for the Christmas pork roast.

Tonight, tarragon chicken, bulgur wheat, peas and sweetcorn and brocolli.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3356 on: 08 February, 2021, 05:48:07 pm »
Second-hand chicken.
I hope D uses the plum and hoisin sauce we have.

« Reply #3357 on: 08 February, 2021, 07:54:35 pm »
Cold slow roast belly pork.
Left over from last night's hot slow roast belly pork.
From a rare breed pig, raised by a friend. Shame that was the last joint from that particular batch.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #3358 on: 10 February, 2021, 11:12:54 am »
Staffordshire oatcakes stuffed with mushrooms and blue stilton sauce.
Served with AGA carrots and broccoli

Staffs oatcakes bear no resemblance to Scottish oatcakes.
They are big floppy, oaty pancakes, raised with yeast, and baked.
Critically, unlike the pancakes in the shops, they are not sweet, so ideal for savoury stuffings, like spinach and ricotta, med veg, beetroot and hummus etc. Traditionally served with bacon and cheese.

I can't be bothered making the oatcakes, so I buy onlne, one or two dozen at a time.
They freeze very well, and thaw quickly.
https://staffordshireoatcakes.com/index.php

« Reply #3359 on: 12 February, 2021, 03:07:37 pm »
Spaghetti with Marmite

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/spaghetti-with-marmite

Gotta give it a go :P

Tried it for lunch and I'll definitely be having it again.  :P
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #3360 on: 12 February, 2021, 08:05:09 pm »
A curry molished from a tin of M&S Tarka Dhal soup, another of chickpeas, a packet of fine green beans, some ground almonds, and some Kashmiri chilli powder.

« Reply #3361 on: 12 February, 2021, 09:22:43 pm »
Spaghetti with smoked trout with garlic, chilli & lemon in a creme fraiche sauce.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3362 on: 12 February, 2021, 10:11:48 pm »
Ordered a Chinese takeaway, delivered via Just Eat.

Valentine's weekend dinner for two...

ian

« Reply #3363 on: 12 February, 2021, 10:19:45 pm »
Supremely Inauthentic Chinese Duck. That's what I call it.

« Reply #3364 on: 12 February, 2021, 10:56:36 pm »
Staffordshire oatcakes stuffed with mushrooms and blue stilton sauce.
Served with AGA carrots and broccoli

Staffs oatcakes bear no resemblance to Scottish oatcakes.
They are big floppy, oaty pancakes, raised with yeast, and baked.
Critically, unlike the pancakes in the shops, they are not sweet, so ideal for savoury stuffings, like spinach and ricotta, med veg, beetroot and hummus etc. Traditionally served with bacon and cheese.

I can't be bothered making the oatcakes, so I buy onlne, one or two dozen at a time.
They freeze very well, and thaw quickly.
https://staffordshireoatcakes.com/index.php

If you make sourdough bread and keep a starter on the go, the leavings from when you refresh the starter can be used to make really good Staffs/Derbyshire oatcakes.  Proper tang and flavour, no extra yeast or bicarb required. They are very easy to do, IMO quicker and easier than mail ordering them!

GC

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3365 on: 12 February, 2021, 11:46:25 pm »
Supremely Inauthentic Chinese Duck. That's what I call it.

It might have been, if the duck arrived...

Four of the seven menu items we ordered (including duck & pancakes) were not in the bag.

We received two other offerings, plus an unsolicited 2 litre bottle of brown, sweetened phosphoric acid.

We are disappointed. As we were dining after the supplier had closed, it was too late to phone them.

« Reply #3366 on: 13 February, 2021, 09:01:53 pm »
If you make sourdough bread and keep a starter on the go, the leavings from when you refresh the starter can be used to make really good Staffs/Derbyshire oatcakes.  Proper tang and flavour, no extra yeast or bicarb required. They are very easy to do, IMO quicker and easier than mail ordering them!

Sorry -I haven't worked out how to do quotes yet.
Thanks for the tip, but it's the cooking that is a bit of a hasssle.
Much as I love the AGA, cooking a batch of pancakes or oatcakes makes the hotplates cool down too quickly.
But I might try baking them on the floor of the oven - it makes good pitta bread that way.
And they were traditionally cooked on a bakestone....
Time to experiment.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #3367 on: 21 February, 2021, 09:46:05 am »
Coddled egg "Ivanhoe"

Any other smoked fish would work here: my favourite is smoked eel, which needs a touch less butter and probably horseradish instead of the mustard.

smoked haddock or other smoked fish 75g
double cream 20ml
dijon mustard 1 tsp
flat-leaf parsley a small handful, finely chopped
butter 20g, melted
egg 1 large (a duck egg is splendid)
salt and black pepper
toast 1 thick slice, to serve

Start by cooking the smoked haddock. (If using another smoked fish, it may not need cooking – just flake the flesh and skip to the next step.) Put the haddock in a shallow heatproof dish with a lid, season with salt and pepper, and cover with freshly boiled water.

Put the lid on and leave to stand: by the time the fish is cool enough to handle, it will be cooked. Flake the fish, removing any skin and bones. The fish-cooking liquor has excellent flavour and is worth keeping for anything you might need fish stock for – just bring it to the boil before chilling and freezing in ice-cube trays.

Meanwhile, mix the cream, mustard and parsley together. Grease the egg coddler, jar or ramekin with a little of the melted butter, then stir the rest of the butter into the parsley and cream mixture, along with the flaked fish. Put two-thirds of the fish mixture in the coddler, crack an egg on top and scatter the rest of the fish mixture on top, without breaking the yolk. Put the lid on the coddler or cover the ramekin tightly with foil; if using a jam jar, screw the lid on, but don’t tighten it too much.

Half-fill a saucepan with water and bring to a simmer, then lower the coddler into the pan – the water should come two-thirds of the way up the sides of the coddler. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until the egg white is just set. Serve immediately with buttered toast.

Recipe courtesy of Rosie Sykes in The Guardian 2019

(“Ivanhoe” is a garnish from Robin McDouall’s Clubland Cooking.)

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/mar/25/20-best-recipes-meals-for-one-simon-hopkinson-dan-lepard-chicken-broth-salmon-eggs

« Reply #3368 on: 21 February, 2021, 09:51:37 am »
Roast beef Sunday dinner form the village pub. Roast beef is one of those things you cant really do at home just for two, it needs a big joint really.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

citoyen

« Reply #3369 on: 27 February, 2021, 06:42:41 pm »
I was a bit late getting to the farm shop today so all they had left on the meat counter was some gammon steaks. No problem, they look nice, they’ll do for dinner.

While cooking them, I remembered we had a tin of pineapple rings in the cupboard. Win!

Just a shame we don’t have any butterscotch Angel Delight for afters, or a bottle of Blue Nun to wash it down.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #3370 on: 27 February, 2021, 07:15:18 pm »
Spanish Morcillas (black pudding) cut into ~15mm slices and fried until just crisped on the outside

https://brindisa.com/products/brindisa-morcilla

With Brussels sprouts, halved and fried in butter until coloured, including garlic, fennel seeds and some sweet paprika + garnish of toasted almonds

Rioja optional as an accompaniment

citoyen

« Reply #3371 on: 27 February, 2021, 07:21:20 pm »
Coddled egg "Ivanhoe"

That looks splendid!

« Reply #3372 on: 27 February, 2021, 07:21:44 pm »
My wife suggested we should have a gammon joint. Tesco no longer do the “roast in the bag” plain joints. Last week, in the farm I splashed £15 on a 1.5kg gammon joint from an Essex farmer.  Tonight I roasted it, and served it with a (pre-prepared and frozen) cauliflower cheese (with added garlic and pancetta) and green beans. It was pronounced “lovely”.

« Reply #3373 on: 27 February, 2021, 07:30:56 pm »
A few weeks ago, Jay Rayner mentioned in his Observer column that a game butcher in Reading was having difficulty getting rid of culled wild deer as most of it went to restaurants. They were, of course, inundated with orders. We got a 'value' box, which has burgers, sausages, mince and casseroling packs.
We had the first of the sausages tonight and they are excellent. And as an added bonus, very low in fat without being low in flavour.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3374 on: 27 February, 2021, 07:44:24 pm »
Just me in tonight so can't be bottomed to cook properly,  and anyway there's rugby on.
So, pie from the butcher, oven chips and baked beans. Plus two bottles of Old Speckled Hen.

Dirty pleasures.  Has to be done now and then.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.