Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1016172 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Seen today
« Reply #5850 on: 20 June, 2021, 10:38:56 am »
A hare running towards me on Thursday. It was running towards to me in evasion of a Range-Rover, whose driver was so intent on avoiding it she almost hit me instead, after I'd already stopped. She drove on and I got to watch the hare, or at least its ears, in the field for another minute or two.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5851 on: 20 June, 2021, 10:28:33 pm »
If she'd stopped, would you have given her a wigging?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5852 on: 21 June, 2021, 08:53:35 am »
I bet she'd have felt a right burk after that.

« Reply #5853 on: 21 June, 2021, 03:52:54 pm »
A month on from my last report and broken wing is still with us. I'm amazed that he keeps going. He can get up onto the bird table so obviously he has some use of the dodgy wing.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #5854 on: 22 June, 2021, 01:47:05 pm »
Two Jackdaws on the bird feeder today. We haven't spotted a Jackdaw in the garden since our pet one more that 13 years ago.
A squirrel feeding on the ground chasing two magpies away that wanted to join him.
Two nights ago a badger and a fox feeding from the birdfeeder. The badger pulled the ring tray down to make it easier to reach and the fox fed on what the budget dropped. All was harmony until the fox sniffed the badger's bum.
I had to put the ring feeder in a vice to straighten it. Some serious strength in a badger's forearms. I'd bet they have no trouble getting a Schwalbe Marathon Plus back on the rim.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5855 on: 29 June, 2021, 12:45:42 am »
Last night I had a late walk to get my 10k paces in. I went to the park, and took a torch to shine in the water to see what I could see.

There's a large (>1 foot in diameter) plastic pipe that takes excess water from the lakes, and they are fed by a natural spring that I've never known to run dry, even in the driest of weather. That leads into a pool about 3 metres wide, 8 metres long and, formerly, almost a metre deep. From there, the water tumbles over a small waterfall and about 300 yards later it joins the Prittle Brook for the last mile or so to the Roach estuary at Stambridge. 15 years ago there were quite a few fish in this pool and because of its restricted size, it was quite easy to see them. There were 3 pike, quite a few tench, and a shoal of roach. Over the years, it has become badly silted up and there have been fewer and fewer fish. To my utter surprise, in January, despite the pool's small size, I photographed what I think is the only surviving pike. It's about 2' long and probably weighs between 4 and 5lb.

Since the spring, the vegetation litter of the trees has landed on the lake, and because the big plastic pipe drains the water at surface level, much of the floating detritus ends up in this pool, and I think that is one of the main reason that it has silted up so badly. I though it unlikely that the pike would have survived, but last evening I shone the torch into the water, and there it was! It tolerated the light on it for a few seconds, but then drifted away somewhere. There's only a limited amount of water that's deep enough for it to swim in, I think, but the current rom the pipe clearly has sufficient flow on it to give the pike a small stretch of water up to about 2' deep.

I've suggested to the council that I get a party together to dig that, and the next couple of pools out so that they have a bit of deeper water, and we have pencilled in some time in the autumn for this. I haven't got my party together yet though.

« Reply #5856 on: 02 July, 2021, 04:37:20 pm »
The back field was cut a couple of days ago, and today they’re bailing it up. That’s brought out the usual kites, around 20, but also a couple of buzzards.  And a first for me, the buzzards actually hovered, kestrel-like, for maybe 5-10seconds at a time.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5857 on: 08 July, 2021, 12:44:09 pm »
On Thursday, in a meadow on the edge of Malmesbury, a kestrel which instead of doing its wind-jamming, preferred to sit on the electricity cables. Several times it dived, once I saw it come up with a small rodent in its talons.

« Reply #5858 on: 10 July, 2021, 07:01:06 pm »
A thrush. Rare in our narrow garden, but the disturbance wrought by our neighbours fence being replaced, and our need to lay down various clematis and roses, revealed a LOT of snails, so as I was fettling gravel boards the thrush was feeding on the patio. And just now, we saw it in the plum tree in the hedge opposite, with a fledgling. Ace.

« Reply #5859 on: 11 July, 2021, 07:19:34 am »
put food out for the foxes last night and a single fox took one egg just after 2300.
Five minutes later a badger spent 30 minutes eating the meat and biscuits on both the trays but left the other egg.
Fox returns and takes the other egg.
A little later the badger returns (assuming it is the same one) with two cubs and they hoover up stray bits of meat and biscuits.
0458 Magpies arrive and finish cleaning up.
Our first visit from a badger and cubs.

« Reply #5860 on: 11 July, 2021, 11:26:03 am »
We have what I take to be a pigeon visiting.
It was smaller a few weeks ago and often came with a couple of other definite wood pigeons, and I assumed it was a juvenile.
Now it is full pigeon size it has a darker colouring than the other wood pigeon's, including the iridescent feathers in the neck, but has no white cheeks or whiteleading wing edges.
Could it be melanism or is it a juvenile not growing up as quick as I would prefer?
Any ideas, please?
Not been able to get a picture because it is a nervous bird.

« Reply #5861 on: 11 July, 2021, 11:54:37 am »
Stock Dove?
Lucky if it is as they are not that common. I've only seen them once and that was a long way off. Nervous might be a good description, though.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #5862 on: 11 July, 2021, 11:55:54 am »
And my sighting...
I very nearly trod on a squirrel while out running this morning. It emerged from a hedge just as I was passing. Both of us dithered a bit before it shot back into the hedge.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #5863 on: 11 July, 2021, 02:36:40 pm »
Stock Dove?
Lucky if it is as they are not that common. I've only seen them once and that was a long way off. Nervous might be a good description, though.
I think it is too dark for a Stock Dove but in my Collins Pocket Guide of 1971 that occurs with a London Pigeon where 'Black forms occur'. Seems a bit unlikely.
I'll have to get the binoculars on it and examine further.
Thanks for the help.

« Reply #5864 on: 11 July, 2021, 08:00:05 pm »
Stock Dove?
I think it is too dark for a Stock Dove but in my Collins Pocket Guide of 1971 that occurs with a London Pigeon where 'Black forms occur'. Seems a bit unlikely.
I'll have to get the binoculars on it and examine further.
Thanks for the help.
Seen through the binoculars I noticed a bit of white above the beak and two black bars low down on the wings as it fed. Turned to a 2015 Collins Bird book I found on the shelf and it is a Stock Dove!
Thanks SteveC

« Reply #5865 on: 11 July, 2021, 09:43:21 pm »
Googled and showed my wife, who last week saw, on our patio, “an odd pigeon with turquoise feathers”. Yep, a Stock Dove.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #5866 on: 12 July, 2021, 10:01:21 pm »
Went from our caravan in Selsey off to the marshes at Medmerry.  Took some photographs (at long range) of the egrets that have settled in the new salt marsh.  Scaled against swans and the heron we saw, they were clearly little egret size.  Thought nothing more of it until the following evening, when I browsed the RSPB site and saw that both little egrets and cattle egrets were nesting at Medmerry.  Went back and checked the photos, and the ones pecking about by the swans were all white except for a grey bill and the one flying overhead had a yellow ruff and a yellow beak.   Chuffed.  Would never have spotted the difference without the camera but now I know what to look for will check egrets more carefully.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5867 on: 14 July, 2021, 11:37:15 pm »
A slow worm whilst I was cycling this afternoon.

« Reply #5868 on: 15 July, 2021, 06:41:05 am »
A slow worm whilst I as cycling this afternoon.
Lovely. I haven't seen one of them since the late 1950's.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5869 on: 16 July, 2021, 08:26:26 pm »
One (yes, 1) flying ant on the table next to me in the garden this evening.  Which makes for a pretty rubbish flying ant day.

Although I suspect that there are more about as there are masses of swifts overhead going absolutely bonkers.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #5870 on: 20 July, 2021, 07:49:38 pm »
Two Stock Doves at the feeder tonight and a pair of Collared Doves

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #5871 on: 21 July, 2021, 01:37:21 pm »
A slow worm whilst I was cycling this afternoon.

I saw one earlier this month, near a 'beware of the adders' sign.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #5872 on: 24 July, 2021, 10:58:04 pm »
Mummy/daddy + child
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5873 on: 26 July, 2021, 10:34:23 am »
This bigger bird. I'm thinking not-quite-so juvenile starling?

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5874 on: 26 July, 2021, 03:40:27 pm »
I think that it is a starling in the change from juvenile to adult from looking in Collins BTO Guide to British Birds.
Nice pictures.