Author Topic: A random thread for cycling things that don't really warrant their own thread  (Read 107398 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Go the mini-Ham-let!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

The topic of not assuming lack of mechanical knowledge and under what conditions it might be good or not to proffer cycling advice to strangers was recently hot and controversial. I had a related experience this morning. I'd been shopping, which I normally do on foot, and was walking past one of those on-street bike maintenance stands (something similar to this), where a woman, probably in her 20s, asked me if I could hold her bike for her while she pumped up her front tyre, as the pavement was on a slope and the heavily laden bike kept rolling away. So I held her bike and she pumped, the pressure gauge on the pump shot up but the chunky Marathons stayed soft. Good job she hadn't asked some non-cyclist as I was able to tell her she needed to undo the lock nut on top of the Presta valve.

More interestingly, she was on her way to perform an outdoor saxophone gig. Her alto sax was poking out of her left pannier, with loads of other stuff in the right and on top.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I'm in the process of planning a 600km DIY audax ride. It's what you might call a game of two halves.

The first 310km has a total of 2466m of climbing.

The next 323km has 5206m of climbing - and 1102m of that comes within a 53km segment.

Beginning to wonder if this is such a good idea.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
Sounds a bit like my 600k DIY* for this weekend, but probably with more climbing.

During the ride I'll visit the fens and the penines.  Sadly the penines are at the far end of my one-way ride (overall: uphill)

*though I'm not going to enter as such, any more than my other DIYs over the past year few months (2x200 and 1x300). 
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

citoyen

Sounds a bit like my 600k DIY* for this weekend, but probably with more climbing.

During the ride I'll visit the fens and the penines.  Sadly the penines are at the far end of my one-way ride (overall: uphill)

*though I'm not going to enter as such, any more than my other DIYs over the past year few months (2x200 and 1x300).

Mine is also a one-way - from my house in Kent to my brother's place at the northern end of the Lake District. It's something I've been meaning to do for years but have never got round to it.

The first half is pretty flat - going via Cambridge. The halfway point is somewhere north of Nottingham. Because I want it to be a nice ride, not just slogging through the distance for the sake of it, I routed through the Peaks, Dales and Lakes rather than around them, with deliberate diversions to take in Winnats and Kirkstone Passes. Still lots of fine-tuning needed to perfect the route, but I think it could be a corker. Just don't think I've got the legs for it at the moment. I could make it a lot easier, but where's the fun in that?

Enjoy your ride - sounds great, let us know how you get on.

citoyen

Saw a post on Instagram earlier about Rapha’s new book, Black Champions In Cycling.

The comments are disappointingly predictable. (Plenty of positive comments as well, to be fair.)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRmMA8krjN6/?utm_medium=copy_link

What is wrong with people?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I think the author is the same chap who popped up on one of ITV4's TdF rest day shows last year talking about (the lack of) black riders in the pro pelican.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

arabella

• عربللا

Mine is also a one-way - from my house in Kent to my brother's place at the northern end of the Lake District. It's something I've been meaning to do for years but have never got round to it.

The first half is pretty flat - going via Cambridge. The halfway point is somewhere north of Nottingham. Because I want it to be a nice ride, not just slogging through the distance for the sake of it, I routed through the Peaks, Dales and Lakes rather than around them, with deliberate diversions to take in Winnats and Kirkstone Passes. Still lots of fine-tuning needed to perfect the route, but I think it could be a corker. Just don't think I've got the legs for it at the moment. I could make it a lot easier, but where's the fun in that?

Enjoy your ride - sounds great, let us know how you get on.

depends on how much time I spend catching up with folks whose houses I pass on Saturday.  I'm ending up in the Eden Valley.
Due to starting a bit further north I have a few km to play with so start by going East and end by going South.  fwiw the bit in the middle is:  St Ives, Spalding, Lincoln, Thorne, Ripon, (Winston Bridge), Barnard Castle, Brampton.  So I've reused bits of LEL 2009, the Gt Eastern and my 1-way trip to Donny a couple of years back.  Plus a few new bits.  Half way must be around Gainsborough.  Report may or may not follow, depending on success.  I'm most worried about finding stuff that says it's open isn't due to our favourite pandemic, thus no refuelling opportunities.  (Lincoln around 11pm, Thorne in small hours, Knaresborough/Ripon early Sunday morning.  Catterick should be OK then not much until BC.)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

arabella

• عربللا
sadly the lack of miles in my legs, and loss of the ability to digest ridiculous quantities of food at frequent intervals meant I only made it half way (the flat half).  Thus I flaked out in the porch of Premier inn (it was full up and icba to trek round further), Lincoln, until someone threw their chips at me "how old are you?" was as withering as I could muster at 2:xx a.m. .  I repaired to the 24hr McD next to the uni instead and was the only person there over the age of 25,  apart from the staff, of whom thumbs up to one of them who checked I wasn't actually ill etc.
So for Sunday I made do with NCN647* or somesuch from Lincoln to Retford for a mainline train Northwards (it's great if you don't mind a gravel track once it splits off from the NCN64*).  Alas for me most trains don't stop at Retford so with that and delayed trains thus missed connections, it took me most of Sunday to get the rest of the way.
Saturday was lovely though, apart from a headwind when I turned N at St Ives, saw both friends as planned and had a couple of enjoyable catch-ups.

*if planning on using, be ware I may have misrememebred the #.  iirc, NCN64 goes to Newark and includes Lincoln.

Cudzoziemiec

Having seen ads for Weezy, a grocery devilry service, for a few weeks, today I saw Weezy in action. A Weezy branded bike, whose rider was looking for an address. The bike was pale pink, North Road style bars, rear basket, step thru. The rider also had a Deliveroo backpack (old style black one) so could have been on Deliveroo duty concerning this address.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I've decided that the collective noun for scooterboys is a 'near miss'.

I was proceeding down[1] the A38 cycleway, and encountered a group of about 8 scooterboys heading towards me.  At the front was Kenny[2], who was having trouble seeing where he was going, and was weaving about while trying to adjust his hoodie one-handed.  The following three or four scooterboys, on the other hand, had used their unimpaired vision to detect the approaching Woman On An Unusual Bike, and were preparing to make testosterone noises[3] at the critical moment.  Naturally this left a deficit of attention for the trajectory of the rider in front...

You can imagine the rest, but suffice to say I didn't get to say "Oh my god, you killed Kenny!".

[1] In the railway sense.
[2] In the South Park sense.
[3] "Oy oy!" "Wahey!" and so on.

Cudzoziemiec

Once upon a time, before South Park was a thing, I almost ended up living in Killed Kenny Lane. It would have been almost the last and one of the highest houses in Bath, requiring riding up the Wellsway on my over-geared 1985 Dawes and then climbing a step ladder to get into the attic, where I would have been living. That would've been easy, getting down might have killed me (and I'm not Kenny). The views would've been magnificent and it would have got me fit (or killed me) but I ended up living at the top of a different, shorter, steeper hill instead. Nowadays, of course, I could just get an e-bike.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.354119,-2.3850451,467m/data=!3m1!1e3

citoyen

I’ve just seen Alan Yentob on an orange Brompton.

That’s almost a tongue twister.

Afasoas

I've managed two consecutive Sunday rides.

Last sunday: 10.6 miles, 12.7 mph moving average
This sunday: 15.0 miles, 13.1 mph moving average

Here is to hoping I can keep this up. (Being on-call for half my free time doesn't help).
Hard to believe 8 years ago I was doing nearly 40 miles each day with an average speed in the high teens.

The main thing is, I'm back on a bike and saddle-soreness aside, really enjoying it.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
:thumbsup:  Suggestion: find a nice place to stop for half an hour 10 - 15 miles away. Ride there, have a coffee & some cake then ride home again.  Don't worry too much about speed, just enjoy it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather

New bike, 22/02/2006

Same bike on its 15th birthday, more than 40000 miles later.

Original parts still in use:

frame
front hub (Schmidt, yet to be serviced)
rear hub (Rohloff - I've never broken a flange on this one)
bottle cages
rear rack (Blackburn)
stem
headset
bars
V-brakes
brake levers
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

The grass hasn’t faired so well.

citoyen

You can tell it's a recent pic though - thanks to the trendy paddleboarders in the background

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather

The two photos were taken about 8 miles apart.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

I did put this in the grow your own thread but today I (with hill and wind assistance)  cruise a good miles or so above 30kmh with a 7kg pumpkin in my pannier amongst other veg

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583

You took the scenic route then?  :D
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

I thought they were taken 40,000 miles apart ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
If you're pedalling in France, watch out when you piddle. Driver down south stopped, pee'd at the edge of a field, and got stung 135€ for "spilling an insalubrious fluid in an unauthorised location".  Never mind what the farmer had sprayed on the field and what animals do in them all the time.  On that score, I could have been short of ~400€ yesterday.

Come to that, I wonder where the flics get rid of their beer after lunch.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I for one look forward to les flics nicking half the TdF pelican for alfresco wazzing.  Surely a bit of controversy is part of the game’s appeal?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Wash the wall, my darling, where the gentlemen went by.