Author Topic: Viewing the last stage - TdF 2017  (Read 1627 times)

Viewing the last stage - TdF 2017
« on: 17 July, 2017, 10:55:36 pm »
By chance, family hatler will be in France next weekend and Paris is within easy striking distance.

If we were to head in to see the race, what sort of time do you think we would have to be there to secure a reasonable viewing spot, and where is a good place to view from ?

I presume we'd be better off dumping the car on the outskirts and catching a train in to the centre. Yes ?

Does anyone have a suggestion as to where might be a suitable palce to dump the car if we're heading in from Caen ?

Many thanks !!
Rust never sleeps

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Viewing the last stage - TdF 2017
« Reply #1 on: 17 July, 2017, 11:19:29 pm »
€36 per adult from Caen to Paris by SNCF.

Any use?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #2 on: 18 July, 2017, 11:30:10 am »
The four times I have done it I have driven in and parked at the underground carpark at Porte Maillot (sp?) and walked down past the Arc d'Triomphe to the hairpin end. Take camping chairs and a book and settle down for a good eight hour wait, it's quite an experience.

« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2017, 07:05:01 am »
Thank you both. Much appreciated.
Rust never sleeps

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 19 July, 2017, 07:32:36 am »
My suggestion would be to be about half-way down the Champs on the left looking towards l'Etoile (i.e. on the downhill side) - you'll get a good view as they pass going up the hill on the other side and then as they whiz past on the downhill - as well as seeing the finish line down the hill to your right.   I watched Armstrong's fifth "win" from there. (There's a McDonalds for toilets IIRC)

The other option is at the Place de la Concorde end, same side, on the corner when you'll see them come from the Rue de Rivoli into the Champs - and also see the action on the giant screen.

As suggested get there a good 5-6 hours ahead of the start of the circuits

I have to own up to having been by invitation to the grandstand ("Tribune") area by the finish line a couple of times including 2013 when they had the late evening finish and fireworks - an amazing experience.

Post-finish is you're of a mind you can walk in among all the team buses parked in the corner of the Place de la Concorde outside the Hotel de Crillon and see bikes, riders, team cars etc.  All pretty informal.

Rob

PS - The publicity caravan goes past but doesn't chuck out the freebies - some of the caravan float staff are clearly demob-happy and dancing topless women aren't an unusual sight as they drive past.    AND spare a thought for the bloke in driving the Credit Lyonnais lion (stuffed, on a quad bike) after 3,000 km in rain or shine - I'd like to do that!