Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3813887 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #250 on: 27 April, 2008, 07:21:27 pm »
Well done Elleigh. Shipley ? In West Yorks. ? I went through there on the train today on my way to Skipton. From there I pedalled to Gargrave to meet onb and NickWill. This trio then went up Wharfedale in the drizzle to Buckden then came back. With the rides to and from the stations I did 57 miles today. It was really really nice riding with those guys. I thank you.

« Reply #251 on: 27 April, 2008, 07:30:17 pm »
I did the White Peak challenge near Matlock today, drizzled or rained all the way round and there were some bloomin big hills.   Still , I thoroughly enjoyed it and raised £280 so far for BHF.

annie

« Reply #252 on: 27 April, 2008, 07:43:21 pm »
Well done Elleigh. Shipley ? In West Yorks. ? I went through there on the train today on my way to Skipton. From there I pedalled to Gargrave to meet onb and NickWill. This trio then went up Wharfedale in the drizzle to Buckden then came back. With the rides to and from the stations I did 57 miles today. It was really really nice riding with those guys. I thank you.

Well done Martin, that's great news.  I bet you have a smile on your face? :)

Elleigh

« Reply #253 on: 27 April, 2008, 08:24:50 pm »
Well done Elleigh. Shipley ? In West Yorks. ? I went through there on the train today on my way to Skipton.

Shipley, West Midlands - possibly not at pretty as West Yorkshire.

Glad to hear that you are back on your bike too.

Pete

« Reply #254 on: 27 April, 2008, 08:29:02 pm »
We managed a modest 23m loop this morning (my wife and I are now fairly well matched  :-[).  But it's something.  Barcombe and back.  Cowslips and bluebells in abundance.  Having set out without waterproofs, soaked for the last couple of miles though.

And 'well done', from me too Elleigh.  I'd heard only a passing mention, of your recent health issues, but I do know this: getting back from stroke is all about rehab and making yourself do things.  Seems like you're going the right way!

« Reply #255 on: 27 April, 2008, 08:29:26 pm »
Well done Elleigh. Shipley ? In West Yorks. ? I went through there on the train today on my way to Skipton.

I wouldn't go so far as saying Shipley, West Yorks, is pretty. I was going to suggest, when I ride to Shipley to visit Ellis Briggs, and Saltaire (World Heritage Site) to visit All Terrain that you might let me buy you a cappuccino but West Midlands is a bit far for an afternoon on my bike.  ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #256 on: 27 April, 2008, 08:35:07 pm »
Well done, Elleigh!

We completed a 100 mile tandemming weekend with 43 miles in the sun/siling rain to and on the Lambeth Cyclists architecture ride.

Steam was up at the Cross Ness (shit) pumping house in Woolwich, so we rode out, partly along the river.  It was about 18 miles to the cycle path past the site, and another three tricky miles avoiding blockages on cycle paths to actually get in the gate.  Why they can't have an entrance from the riverside, I dunno... :-\

Then a train ride (with a tandem, oh yes! :thumbsup: ) to Lewisham, and a meandering and rather variable path up river, stopping at various places, to the Brunel Tunnel museum - very interesting, if you're popping by ;) and the massively overpriced Design Museum cafe for tea. 

Then home.  And tea. :)

Cake at Crossness:  30p
Cake at Design Museum: £2+
Tea at Crossness: 80p
Tea at DM:  Painfully more...
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #257 on: 27 April, 2008, 08:36:10 pm »

Saltaire is pretty, Shipley Glen is pretty, but even I couldn't claim that Shipley, WR is pretty ;D
Getting there...

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #258 on: 27 April, 2008, 08:38:55 pm »
26 miles to Salsea Forest and back, to test the triplet for Blaxhall tandem weekend next week.  ;D

Pete

« Reply #259 on: 27 April, 2008, 08:41:13 pm »
I used to live just on the Bradford side of Shipley.  Saltaire was interesting.  Parts of Bradford had their - charm.  Baildon was pretty (but a b***er of a climb to get to!).  Otley, Burley, Menston: good places to ride out to.  As for - er - Shipley...

« Reply #260 on: 27 April, 2008, 08:43:27 pm »
26 miles to Salsea Forest and back, to test the triplet for Blaxhall tandem weekend next week.  ;D

Tsk!  Call yourself a local.  It's Salcey  ;D

Did you ride heart attack hill between Brackmills and Hardingstone?   It gets it's name because I used to be part of a lunch time running club and we used to sprint it.  Well, liberal interpretation of sprint anyway :P

Maladict

« Reply #261 on: 27 April, 2008, 08:54:49 pm »
 ;D

Set off for an evening ride on the new bike, first longish ride, just when where my fancy took me.  It was nice and warm so shorts, short-sleeve top and a short base layer.  Went out to the east of Cambridge, then headed south to Six Mile Bottom, up the A1304 a bit to turn right down a dirt track (hmm, shiny shiny bike), across the manually operated level crossing, up the hill, and over to Carlton etc.  Down to Balsham, woman in car coming the other way beep beeped me - must be the bike?  ???  Continued through Balsham at about 40kph - did I mention the bike is lovely - down to Abington, up the A1307 to cross the A11, down through Sawston and back over Lime Kiln Hill, round the bypass, did 53.6kph on the bypass (on the flat with a tailwind).  55km at 27.2kph rolling average (that's 17mph in real money).

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #262 on: 27 April, 2008, 08:57:24 pm »

The feeling is completely mutual.Wharfedale is such a nice place to ride .I think we should have called it the orthapedic recovery ride.

annie

« Reply #263 on: 27 April, 2008, 09:05:32 pm »

Ooohhh I know Blaxhall well.  What day will you be there?

« Reply #264 on: 27 April, 2008, 09:08:48 pm »
6 mile pootle this evening on our Bromptons ;D

Lovely evening here just outside Glasgow.  ;D ;D

« Reply #265 on: 27 April, 2008, 09:50:32 pm »
40 Mile loop from Norwich to Potter Heigham and back again.

« Reply #266 on: 27 April, 2008, 10:02:10 pm »
I did my second ride since my stroke, yesterday.  It took me twice as long as it should have been, but wasn't as wobbly at my first ride was.  I did 35 miles which is no great distance, but it is a step towards better times.

I cycled from home to a nice little garden centre in Shipley and had a nice cup of tea and a cake, then cycled back.

You make me feel totally useless.  I failed to sit on a bike all weekend.  On Saturday I dropped the car hood and DROVE to LBS for a chat and a rear rack. Then home to fit the rack before meeting friends for an Italian supper. On Sunday we set out for a walk around the local lakes but rain stopped play. Instead we went and bought SWMBO a new car for collection next week.

Tried for some exercise with 90 mins of WII 10-pin bowling and 20 mins of WII tennis.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #267 on: 27 April, 2008, 10:07:27 pm »
A Waitrose pootle this morning.

Mrs. Wow and I enjoyed a lovely evening pootle on the tandem involving cycling the entire length of Southend sea front from the west end of Two Tree Island as far as Shoebury coastguard station. Total distance just over 17 miles at a pretty leisurely pace. We arrived home around 9.10 pm and it still wasn't properly dark.

I'm really hoping for a warm, sunny summer because rides out on balmy summer's evenings are probably the best cycling of all - especially if there's a pub involved! :D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #268 on: 27 April, 2008, 10:24:59 pm »
A nice first long-ish ride after a while off. Rode ca. 70 Mi in 4 hours, two of which were ridden at pace and 1h30 was run more casually. I left home and headed for Whatton first, then did a loop around the Vale of Belvoir before heading for a village south of Southwell and meet the girls and some friends for a pub lunch (that's a great idea BTW!). We enjoyed great food, sat outside watching some cricket, chatted with friends and played with Baby G who wanted to umpire. I then rode the short leg home, only catching a bit of rain towards the end. First ride on gears in while, but it was nice and fast at times.

Yesterday, in between gardening and shopping, Baby G and I managed 1h to the local nature reserve. Baby G was testing her new helmet. She is very proud of it. Excellent WE; many things done and lots of time spent outdoor thanks to nice weather.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #269 on: 27 April, 2008, 10:32:17 pm »
I did my second ride since my stroke, yesterday.  It took me twice as long as it should have been, but wasn't as wobbly at my first ride was.  I did 35 miles which is no great distance, but it is a step towards better times.

I cycled from home to a nice little garden centre in Shipley and had a nice cup of tea and a cake, then cycled back.

Well done :thumbsup: :thumbsup: My second recovery ride was a mere 8 miles.

[quick google for Shipley] That's not very far from The Pigot Arms, where I spent a few minutes awaiting the arrival of (soon to be) Mrs N at the church which was conveniently located across the road [/reminiscing].

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #270 on: 28 April, 2008, 04:10:50 pm »
A very pleasing commute involving minor roads, rape fields and a footbridge over a tidal marsh.

Breezy and mild with some sunshine, the total was 11.27 miles in 1 hour and 1 second. Not surprisingly, the computer gave an average moving speed of 11.27 mph.

Elleigh

« Reply #271 on: 28 April, 2008, 07:48:58 pm »

[quick google for Shipley] That's not very far from The Pigot Arms, where I spent a few minutes awaiting the arrival of (soon to be) Mrs N at the church which was conveniently located across the road [/reminiscing].

I've paid for it today! Ho Hum!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #272 on: 28 April, 2008, 07:51:20 pm »

I've paid for it today! Ho Hum!

Hope you are OK, Elleigh?

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #273 on: 28 April, 2008, 08:15:59 pm »
While at work today, I got a phone call from the LBS telling me that the replacement smaller chainring for the Brommie had arrived.  So a sprint home, fit the trailer tow-hitch, strap the Brompton into the trailer, and potter down to LBS's workshop to deliver the patient to their tender care.
Yes I could fit a chainring myself, but there was this broken spoke that needed replacing!
Rush-hour commuting with a trailer attached is great - I get given lots of room.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

alan

« Reply #274 on: 28 April, 2008, 08:33:28 pm »
Just done approx 20km in 1hr 40mins.The computer died about 10 mins in so I spent the whole ride at 120HR which puts me in the fat-burning zone :)