Author Topic: You know you're middle aged when  (Read 186154 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Reply #700 on: 27 April, 2018, 05:59:58 pm »
Thanks, but it's mostly the memories.  It's a bit late to turn up to a maths exam with one for comedy value, which is the main application I can think of for one.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #701 on: 27 April, 2018, 06:02:27 pm »
... The people you went to school with start dying, of natural causes...

First one that I am aware of, today.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #702 on: 27 April, 2018, 07:47:58 pm »
I still have my circular slide rule from when I was learning to fly light aircraft.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Phil W

« Reply #703 on: 27 April, 2018, 07:51:40 pm »
I have my father's 5-figure logarithm book somewhere.
And I'm sufficiently old that, in the sixth form I was more accurate and faster than the calculators then available.

Did both my O level and A level maths exams with log books.  I forgot my calculator both times.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #704 on: 27 April, 2018, 08:51:44 pm »

Yeah, that's happened a few times (but then I am <mumble> years older) and it sucks.

Sympathies. I would offer to make you a coffee but you're waaaayyyy better at it than I am...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #705 on: 28 April, 2018, 07:32:44 am »

Yeah, that's happened a few times (but then I am <mumble> years older) and it sucks.

Sympathies. I would offer to make you a coffee but you're waaaayyyy better at it than I am...

Thanks, T.

Spent the evening drinking beer and reminiscing. I had lost touch with Nigel, only just getting back in touch, via FB, a couple of months ago. Remind me, the next time we meet up, to tell you the pigeon story, remembering it, last night, made me smile!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #706 on: 28 April, 2018, 09:27:25 am »
As much as the level crossing 6 years ago?  ;D  :demon:

SIX YEARS! We're way overdue another silly bike adventure . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #707 on: 28 April, 2018, 09:32:52 am »
I have my father's 5-figure logarithm book somewhere.
And I'm sufficiently old that, in the sixth form I was more accurate and faster than the calculators then available.
I have an old logarithm/trig. function book (that I can't find atm), a slide rule that I used at work in the mid-60s and also a 120-year calendar that ran out 2 years ago! It was published in '57.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #708 on: 28 April, 2018, 10:10:08 am »
Surely that was a 60 year calendar then?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #709 on: 28 April, 2018, 10:27:15 am »
From The Lurker Archive, second shelf from the top, left hand bookcase, just above all the programming and algorithm reference books.  The 1941 reprint of the 1930 edition.  It still impresses me that in the middle of a war that it was possible to print books on decent quality paper.  I have a 1979/80 paperback edition of 4 figure log tables and the paper in that started disintegrating 10 or more years ago.

This set of tables intended for Navigators.  Includes traverse tables and copious notes on using trig. for navigational purposes.

Bigger pictures here  : https://www.flickr.com/photos/41392773@N02/sets/72157696185250635
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #710 on: 28 April, 2018, 01:36:47 pm »
Impressive; most of the wartime books I've got are printed to 'war standard', which meant cheap paper and bindings. Most of them have held up OK, mind - better than most of the 50s/60s paperbacks I've got (though obviously paperbacks are more fragile).

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #711 on: 29 April, 2018, 08:03:40 am »
Surely that was a 60 year calendar then?
It's from an insurance company, so it could be for start/finish dates of policies - some of those are 60-years+.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #712 on: 06 May, 2018, 09:31:59 pm »
You local heritage railway is running trains of your childhood, not steam

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #713 on: 07 May, 2018, 08:37:11 pm »
... with doors that you can open from the inside
iirc a slidey thing so not accidentally openable when crowded
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #714 on: 07 May, 2018, 09:08:26 pm »
Nah.  mllePB is a professional train spotter.  That is, she gets paid for doing things railways related.  She was just out looking for rolling stock for the project that she's working on at the moment.   :demon:  :D   

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #715 on: 07 May, 2018, 09:19:30 pm »
.. former schoolmate posts a profile picture on Facebook and looks like a witch.
You come to the realisation that you probably also look like a witch!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #716 on: 08 May, 2018, 08:47:07 am »
There's a boggart in our bathroom mirror.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #717 on: 08 May, 2018, 04:56:26 pm »
You local heritage railway is running trains of your childhood, not steam

I know distance lends enchantment and all that, but that is a rather handsome livery.

« Reply #718 on: 08 May, 2018, 09:56:27 pm »
Nah - that's just the colour of a vehicle that's lovingly hand-washed prior to day's outing, rather than the original 1970s grime colour.

ian

« Reply #719 on: 16 May, 2018, 09:21:49 am »
I flew back from Berlin yesterday and the as usual, and while the pilot fidgeted in the cockpit (presumably trying to find the switch that turns the foglights off) the first officer was charged with the usual say goodbye to the deplaning passengers duty. No issues with that, but I swear she didn't look old enough to have passed her driving test.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #720 on: 16 May, 2018, 09:46:52 am »
I flew back from Berlin yesterday and the as usual, and while the pilot fidgeted in the cockpit (presumably trying to find the switch that turns the foglights off) the first officer was charged with the usual say goodbye to the deplaning passengers duty. No issues with that, but I swear she didn't look old enough to have passed her driving test.

Regrettably, even in 2018, female commercial pilots seem to be in the minority although I gather numbers are increasing  :thumbsup:  I was getting off a plane sometime ago, when female pilots really were rare and a female pilot was doing goodbye duty.  A bloke in front of me couldn't help himself, "Nice parking love!"   ::-)  was offered as he went through the door.  To her credit she just smiled.

ian

« Reply #721 on: 16 May, 2018, 09:52:40 am »
I suspect there's some rule about punching passengers no matter how well deserved that punch might be.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #722 on: 16 May, 2018, 09:55:50 am »
I suspect there's some rule about punching passengers no matter how well deserved that punch might be.

I imagine so. Having dead or unconscious knob head passengers lying in the aisles would impede evacuation of the aircraft in the event of an emergency.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #723 on: 01 September, 2018, 11:00:47 am »
You spend the morning ordering a bin store and a wood store and think it all rather exciting...

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #724 on: 01 September, 2018, 11:30:07 am »
I get excited by off-cuts of wood that will make ideal paint-stirrers at some point in the future.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.