Author Topic: Dairy Dodgers Thread  (Read 5260 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Dairy Dodgers Thread
« Reply #25 on: 23 February, 2022, 07:06:58 pm »
Since my last post I've due to Tesco pickers ability to not find the stuff I ordered been through various dairy free cheese alternatives.
I know there are horror stories about them, and maybe it's because of the Rhinitis, maybe not but so far I've found all the ones I've had pretty decent.
Battering Fake Haloumi was interesting but worked great.

40p supplement? They need to buy cheaper Oat Juice.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #26 on: 24 February, 2022, 06:36:38 pm »
I have argued against the surcharge saying they're charging me for a reasonable adjustment as not being able to digest lactose is long term and has a substantial impact on my day to day life... I tend not to buy tea with milk very often, I usually carry my own rather than get ripped off by them.

Still wish I could tolerate black tea, but I haven't managed to achieve that.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #27 on: 24 February, 2022, 06:50:47 pm »
Still wish I could tolerate black tea, but I haven't managed to achieve that.
Stains your teeth black anyway.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #28 on: 24 February, 2022, 10:10:47 pm »
Every time I try an unknown brand of ice cream, I have to consider how far I am from a safe toilet. Gelato is the worst, so in Italy I stick to granita.

I watched a youtube video where they theorized that the Italian prohibition on cappuccinos after breakfast, and only serving small sized cappuccinos was down to the fact that a lot of Italians are lactose intolerant but don't realise it, and a breakfast cappuccino is enough to get things moving, but another milky cappucino after you've already had one for breakfast, is enough to trigger unwanted effects.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #29 on: 24 February, 2022, 10:20:11 pm »
I watched a youtube video where they theorized that the Italian prohibition on cappuccinos after breakfast, and only serving small sized cappuccinos was down to the fact that a lot of Italians are lactose intolerant but don't realise it, and a breakfast cappuccino is enough to get things moving, but another milky cappucino after you've already had one for breakfast, is enough to trigger unwanted effects.
That easily justifies this thread's existence.

(I think I might be stealing this explanation in the future ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #30 on: 25 February, 2022, 12:29:29 am »
Had Sheese on my burger tonight, twas good.
At some point it will eb used on Hunters chicken, and possibly on tomorrow nights approximation of balmoral/Braemar chicken.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #31 on: 25 April, 2022, 09:22:21 am »
I have been unable to drink/eat anything made from cow juice and runny or soft at room temperature for about 15 years. I figured it wasn't lactose as I am fine with goat or sheep juice products, I always thought it must be protein related.

In NZ they have A2 milk which is cow milk with only the A2 form of beta-casein, unlike 'normal' cow milk which has a mix of A1 and A2 forms. I can drink A2 milk with no problem. This is lucky because finding goat milk in NZ is difficult and sheep milk has a hugely high fat content and is like putting single cream in your tea.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #32 on: 25 April, 2022, 07:38:17 pm »
Twice recently I have managed to hud oan for a decent amount of time (like all day).
Something I've never been able to do before.
The problem is, the anxiety remains.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #33 on: 26 April, 2022, 04:44:42 pm »
I have learnt to avoid lactose/dairy and any plants of the deadly nightshade family in undercooked/raw state (includes tomatoes, potatoes and aubergines). Hard cheese is OK, hadn't realised proper Brie should also be OK, in my working life I barely survived France on Emmental and Ham baguettes at motorway services. Most commercial outlets food is a time bomb!

And not a fan of sugar or meat that tastes like meat, though I may risk anything with loads of chillies (the proper really hot ones) and no tomatoes or cream or "meat", safe food is fish and chips (properly cooked, no firm middles or cheese coating on chips).

Long distance cycling is a good way of losing weight - sole input on most 200K rides is black coffee or water unless I can fit in a few beers. Emergency jelly babies (only Bassetts/Maynards) have got me home on longer rides though, I get pissed off with Weatherspoons fish and chips after a while.

Staying thin is easy when most commercially available food causes explosive weight loss, most of my calories come from rice and beer!

No plans to ever ride LEL or PBP purely on feeding/poisoning criteria.