Author Topic: Cycling with a catheter fitted.  (Read 2636 times)

Cycling with a catheter fitted.
« on: 28 April, 2022, 04:44:41 pm »
I've temporarily had to have a catheter and bag fitted while awaiting an appointment for an MRI scan and hopefully surgery to rectify my problem.

Has anyone had any experience in riding a bike with a catheter and bag?

Any hints, tips etc. concerning attachment and placement would be much appreciated. Or is it just a case of can't be done ?
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Cycling with a catheter fitted.
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2022, 04:48:56 pm »
I've seen it done, but no personal experience.  Can't imagine it's particularly comfortable.

« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2022, 04:53:39 pm »
Not ridden with a catheter, but have ridden with a stent (a couple of threads of nylon like very thick fishing line).

That wasn't really a problem for round-city riding.

Suspect that a catheter will be similar, but lycra might be an issue getting it over the bag.

Women will be different and more difficult.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2022, 05:26:28 pm »
Time for a recumbent?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4 on: 28 April, 2022, 05:30:14 pm »
Time for a recumbent?
I already own both a two and three wheel recumbent, but I suspect that with the 'legs up' position, I'd run the risk of backflow.

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2022, 07:32:54 pm »
It is doable (I did it several years ago) but is supremely uncomfortable and not at all recommended unless there is no alternative.  The problem is the saddle presses on the bulb which is fitted at the top of the plastic tube to keep it in place.  This pressure is passed on to your perineum which is most unpleasant.

Fitting or removing Lycra shorts over the bag is not a problem as long as it is empty, but you will presumably want to have longs on top.  I experienced no problems with the bag attached to a calf but you will certainly want to ensure the straps are uber-secure to prevent any accidents.

Hope you are not lumbered with it for long, as cycling with that arrangement will ensure you only do the barest minimum distances you can.

Best wishes for that and a successful outcome to your surgery.
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

« Reply #6 on: 03 May, 2022, 08:59:42 pm »
Update to original post.

Been out for a 30 mile ride today.

Bag and pipework securely attached to leg with the storage bag secured on the inside of my knee.

Extention to the storage outlet pipe fitted, extended to just above the ankle.

Snug, unpadded cycle shorts worn as an additional 'keep everything in place'.

Somewhat baggy cycling longs to cover the storage bag and the extention pipe.

Used the recumbent trike even though the bottom bracket is an inch or two above the seat level.

Stopped every half an hour to surreptitiously empty the storage bag via the mid calf tap.

Rode with a lower cadence than usual. High cadence =more discomfort.

Discomfort level was about 2 out of 10.

Would I do it again? If it means that I can get a few miles of cycling in, most certainly.

« Reply #7 on: 03 May, 2022, 09:21:07 pm »
Excellent news

« Reply #8 on: 04 May, 2022, 04:22:45 am »
When I damaged my spine I was incontinent for 10 years, at first I had a catheter, I tried it with the leg bag, but didn't like it so bought a length of tubing that went down the my foot and had a “flip flow valve” at the bottom, all I had to do was release the valve and empty my bladder every 15-20 minutes or so.
Later I started to get UTI one after the other and had to give up catheter's and go back to nappies, cycling was never the same after that, but two operations and a few years later, I'm fine now.
Good luck

« Reply #9 on: 04 May, 2022, 01:56:00 pm »
Has self-catheterization (sp?) been mentioned to you as an option (insert single use catheter, empty bladder, dispose of catheter. Repeat a few times a day)?

« Reply #10 on: 04 May, 2022, 02:08:41 pm »
Has self-catheterization (sp?) been mentioned to you as an option (insert single use catheter, empty bladder, dispose of catheter. Repeat a few times a day)?
Not easy to do outside as you need some water to activate the gel on said catheter, I tried them and it's one of the easiest ways on getting UTI.

« Reply #11 on: 04 May, 2022, 02:21:32 pm »
Not easy to do outside as you need some water to activate the gel on said catheter, I tried them and it's one of the easiest ways on getting UTI.
Not speaking from personal experience, but Dad has been using them for a few years and I can only recall him getting a UTI once. Admittedly I don't think he uses them away from facilities with running water available.

« Reply #12 on: 04 May, 2022, 03:19:04 pm »
I may have been unlucky

« Reply #13 on: 16 September, 2022, 11:58:52 am »
I've temporarily had to have a catheter and bag fitted while awaiting an appointment for an MRI scan and hopefully surgery to rectify my problem.

Has anyone had any experience in riding a bike with a catheter and bag?

Any hints, tips etc. concerning attachment and placement would be much appreciated. Or is it just a case of can't be done ?
I don't know how long yours is intended to stay in, but mine will be attached to me for two weeks
after my prostate removal operation and I have no intention of doing any exercise (whilst it is
attached me).

« Reply #14 on: 16 September, 2022, 03:03:18 pm »
Still catheterised since April.

Only able to ride the recumbent trike and am finding that my mileage tolerance is about 45 miles.

Lots of fine tuning has happened concerning pipework runs and strapping. I've even incorporated a short length of old inner tube to reduce chafing.

Got an appointment in a couple of weeks which might result in no longer needing the catheter fitted.

« Reply #15 on: 16 September, 2022, 06:49:27 pm »
I had a catheter inserted for 9 months a few years ago. I used the trice and hung the bag in one of the side bags. Worked OK but where the tube went into me tended to get quite uncomfortable and irritated. I  think I would have not managed on a conventional bike  :) . Was able to ride my normal distances in fact I was  camping with Jonathan notp who was b and b ing in the cotswolds when I went home for a day to go to the appointment that ended with the annoying thing being removed  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #16 on: 16 September, 2022, 10:14:20 pm »
Still catheterised since April.

Only able to ride the recumbent trike and am finding that my mileage tolerance is about 45 miles.

Lots of fine tuning has happened concerning pipework runs and strapping. I've even incorporated a short length of old inner tube to reduce chafing.

Got an appointment in a couple of weeks which might result in no longer needing the catheter fitted.

It is bad enough thinking of a catheter up the johnson, let alone some old inner tube.
It is simpler than it looks.