Author Topic: Something like Covid  (Read 1433 times)

Something like Covid
« on: 11 May, 2022, 05:30:00 pm »
A month ago I developed a really sore throat, then a dry cough which kept me awake at night.  I felt weak, shivering cold. Had two weeks off work and even after that I couldn't work to capacity. I took lateral flow tests every other day for two weeks,  all negative.  My wife wondered if it might be hay fever, so I took antihistamines which didn't appear to make any difference.
Normally I wouldn't mind, but I've entered LEL, and up to a month ago training was going well,  today was my first time on a bike for a month. In fact a Wattbike , to establish where my FTP is currently.  Its 230 down from 270. I'm now wondering how if at all I can attain sufficient fitness to participate. I do respond to training quite well usually,  but having been probably the most unwell I've ever been in my life I'm wary of overdoing it. I'm 61 and otherwise normally very fit and healthy. I don't fancy leaving it another 4 years.

Re: Something like Covid
« Reply #1 on: 11 May, 2022, 06:19:29 pm »
Did you have a PCR test for COVID?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 11 May, 2022, 07:07:03 pm »
Build up when you've been clear for a month.
If you start approaching LEL fitness, fine.

If not, I'm afraid you should bale.

Further test for Covid may be a good idea
if you can get them.

« Reply #3 on: 11 May, 2022, 07:20:20 pm »
I wouldn’t say FTP from a 20 min test when fresh is a good measure for how well you’ll do over LEL scale durations.  Having said that , and I have no data to back this up, but I’d say a FTP of 230 will be higher than many who will comfortably complete LEL.

You need to assess your multi hour endurance pace (and fatigue resistance) sometime in mid July to see where you are at.  You’ve got almost 3 months till you need to make a decision.

« Reply #4 on: 11 May, 2022, 08:01:57 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I didn't carry out a PCR test, however, when I did the lateral flow tests I'd swab both nostrils and both sides of back of throat,thoroughly.  To date I haven't to my knowledge had Covid. As far as baling is concerned,  I'm prepared for that.  I'm not leaving Loughton firing on three cylinders. Other physical challenges lined up to keep me busy. Finally,  I'll be testing myself out over long rides100> miles in forthcoming weeks. I know the FTP test isn't the best metric for assessing ones endurance riding but it's all I had in the short term. Looking forward to the weekend to do a shakedown ride. Thanks again guys

« Reply #5 on: 11 May, 2022, 08:20:48 pm »
As has been said FTP is probably almost pointless for LEL. Watts per kg at FTP perhaps more useful but average speed on the flat at a heart rate in Zone 1-2 is the only important metric.
However spending the next month at a low hr will always improve your aerobic capacity and be protective whilst recovering from your virus, whatever it was.