Author Topic: Sciatica  (Read 2151 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
Sciatica
« on: 07 June, 2022, 07:42:40 pm »
I seem to have this. No idea how, but was fine all weekend, came back home, sat on the couch, got up and that was it.

Other than stretching, anyway to decrease the pain and release the nerve?

Thanks

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Sciatica
« Reply #1 on: 07 June, 2022, 08:14:08 pm »
Usually caused by something wrong higher up. Pressure from a disc etc. The nerves for your legs com out of the spinal column in your lower back. So my first port of call would be to see if I remembered anything not so good I've done to my back.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #2 on: 07 June, 2022, 09:43:14 pm »
I did this to myself at the weekend, not some freak masturbatory accident, a lost fight with a small tree sapling that proved more attached to the ground than anticipated. I ate all the ibuprofen and it's mostly on the mend now. I did bad things to the sapling with sharp implements.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 07 June, 2022, 09:46:38 pm »
When I had sciatica about 10 years ago I was recommended to adopt the "semi-supine position" (Alexander technique) -

https://alexandertechnique.co.uk/learning-it/semi-supine

It was extremely helpful.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 07 June, 2022, 09:50:36 pm »
^ that takes the stress off the lower spine.
It is simpler than it looks.

velosam

« Reply #5 on: 08 June, 2022, 09:59:05 am »
Thanks all.

I wonder if it was all the slouching all weekend on some wicker garden chairs. My back was hurting, a long motorcycle ride home and then it just wnrt after sitting in a couch.

Going to try that Alexander technique and take more pain killers, although I have nearly exhausted my supply.

« Reply #6 on: 17 June, 2022, 10:46:17 am »
Tried a chiropractor for the same problem which gave me some short term relief but he seems baffled that it's not improving. I've had four sessions and he finished the last one saying, "Go away for a bit, see what happens and have a think about what to do next.", which I took to be an admission of defeat.

I wouldn't discount trying it though. I've got a mate with sciatica who went to the same chiropractor and he says it's changed his life.

Please let us know how you get on.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

velosam

« Reply #7 on: 17 June, 2022, 12:53:05 pm »
So I am much better, doing various sciatica yoga exercises. Still can't walk more than 30 minutes without my back hurting and my pace is slow.

Bending down, to say put on trousers is not happening, and my whole right hip, back, neck, head hurts. I get a few moments of relief.

So slow and frustrating

« Reply #8 on: 17 June, 2022, 01:43:52 pm »

Bending down to say put on trousers is not happening,

Perhaps you could use other words instead. :-D

I too, also have my own back problems.

velosam

« Reply #9 on: 02 August, 2022, 03:24:38 pm »
So 8 weeks later, some physio daily exercises, not much better. Constant pain in the area above my right hip which sometimes manifests in the left thigh and calf.

To be honest the physio just puts a tens machine on it, which is sort of OK.  I take brufen on the odd days its really bad. Those days even walking uphill becomes painful.

I really dont understand it, it was getting better especially in the evenings and now has gone backward.

Seeing another physio in a month, not sure what else I can really do.

« Reply #10 on: 14 September, 2022, 03:58:18 am »
I picked up a not-so-serious version of it 3 years ago? Came from having my wallet in my back pocket and sitting on it. It's taken 3 years to clear out.

Nerve flossing provided the best relief:
https://www.spineuniverse.com/conditions/sciatica/nerve-flossing-sciatica

There's multiple variations
https://youtu.be/uI-tdxJy6Aw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLoMYgirdto

If your physio hasn't already suggested these, ask him.

« Reply #11 on: 14 September, 2022, 08:09:35 am »
Pilates classes would be my recommendation. Most classes I do incorporate most or all of what is in Jakob's first link and more.

« Reply #12 on: 14 September, 2022, 10:47:16 am »
I've just got through my first bout of what I think must have been sciatica. Cause unknown. Not as bad as velosam's but still a pain in the arse. Was about to go to the drop-in physio but it cleared up pretty much overnight. Dr Google says it usually clears up in 4-6 weeks and in my case it would have been the lower end of that.

velosam

« Reply #13 on: 14 September, 2022, 12:05:40 pm »
So I have still have back pain and pain in both my shoulders.  The latter is particularly rubbish because the pain wakes me up at night when I move. More physio but they reckon it's torn ligaments and tendons rather than muscle.

Hey ho for now.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: 14 September, 2022, 01:56:37 pm »
What have you done to create torn ligaments and tendons? Are you a prop forward in your spare time?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

velosam

« Reply #15 on: 14 September, 2022, 10:06:36 pm »
That's what the physio said. He didn't think it was muscular!