Author Topic: Posterior vitreous detachment  (Read 1216 times)

Posterior vitreous detachment
« on: 25 June, 2022, 04:49:33 pm »
About a month ago I noticed the sudden onset of a significant distortion to the vision in my left eye. Looking ahead, no problem but if i rapidly look left, a patch of distortion moves left to right and if i look right the distortion goes right to left. I've been blighted by compromised eyesight since primary school, chronically short sighted and then more recently early onset cataracts fixed by surgery, so i'm sensitive about my eyesight.

Hot footed to the optician who did a retinal scan, no issues with tears or detachment but i now have a PVD diagnosis. Apparently this is attributable to an age related change in the density in the fluid in the eyeball, which causes the fluid to shrink away from the back of the eye. If you are unlucky it takes the retina with it, i've been spared this. Its present in both my eyes, but in the left eye its plumb in the line of sight, hence the distortion i'm experiencing. Apparently there is no cure as such and you just have to hope it settles over time.

Anyone else experiencing this?.
Thanks in advance

A

Re: Posterior vitreous detachment
« Reply #1 on: 25 June, 2022, 07:39:05 pm »
Yep, I’ve got it in my right eye.  I got referred to Community Eye Care and get 6 monthly scans to monitor. No change in 2 years.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2022, 08:23:30 am »
Happened to me about 5 years ago. I now have a very slightly decreased field of vision in my left eye due to the vitreous body settling to one side (must be the right, the image being inverted).  While it was settling - which took a few months - I occasionally saw a fuzzy pale-yellow "rope" draped across my field of vision.  That disappeared after a while.

Nowadays it's not a handicap.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3 on: 26 June, 2022, 05:36:41 pm »
My wife has it in both eyes now. She complains it makes some stuff blurry, but has mostly got used to it.