Author Topic: Adderall in the US  (Read 1731 times)

Adderall in the US
« on: 15 October, 2022, 12:55:28 pm »
This is remarkable - the US cannot make enough whiz to meet demand.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/oct/14/us-shortage-adderall-increased-demand-adhd

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Adderall in the US
« Reply #1 on: 15 October, 2022, 01:05:06 pm »
I didn't realise they used it for ADHD.  Can I get a TUE?  Look, a squirrel!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2022, 01:10:40 pm »
Ability to obtain controlled drugs before you run out from a pharmacy that actually has some in stock during a shortage is a pretty good diagnostic test for ADHD...

ian

« Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2022, 01:52:23 pm »
It says something that the problem is deemed to be with the supply and not the demand.

« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2022, 03:53:11 pm »
It says something that the problem is deemed to be with the supply and not the demand.

Exactly!

« Reply #5 on: 15 October, 2022, 08:55:18 pm »
I don't understand this.  Are you making a comment about overprescribing or over diagnosis?

« Reply #6 on: 16 October, 2022, 07:01:06 am »
I don't understand this.  Are you making a comment about overprescribing or over diagnosis?
Yes.

Why is medicalisation the first option for any behavioural issues and why is medication the first response. Could it possibly be related to health care as a profit generator?

felstedrider

« Reply #7 on: 16 October, 2022, 08:44:12 am »
As I’ve written elsewhere it took us a couple of years to accept we had to medicate J.  The improvement was significant.  It wasn’t a decision we took lightly at all.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 16 October, 2022, 09:48:51 am »
Yes.

Why is medicalisation the first option for any behavioural issues and why is medication the first response. Could it possibly be related to health care as a profit generator?

That or the fact that a pill might obviate the need to seek causes any further.

As a parallel, after my first stent a single high BP measurement got me sideswiped with a one-size-fits-all cocktail of nostrums that turned cycling into a nightmare for three years.  I had to fight like hell to get the quacks to cancel it, but it certainly kept my BP down and their arses safe.

By the by, wasn't Adderall what wee Donnie Trump was popping by the bucketful?  Maybe his thick-skulled Magamaniac disciples are imitating him.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9 on: 16 October, 2022, 09:39:53 pm »
Yes.

Isn't Adderal a drug for ADHD? It is for attention type.  it's not a drug prescribed for all ADHD sufferers only those with a certain type of trait benefits from it I believe. It's for stimulating dopamineproduction that stimulatesthe cortical and another part of the brain associated with attention. If they don't have these traits it's a wasted drug I believe.

Is ADHD a behavioural or developmental disorder? I've been reading up on it lately and I've been reading that it's a developmental and it's based on issues with executive function. Statistically adhd sufferers tend to be average or above average but are more likely to be in lower paid jobs, unemployed or have mental problems.

As far as adderall goes it's not a common uk drug option and in parts of the EU it's a highly controlled drug,  often not able to prescribe it. USA is a big prescriber of it. That isn't too say it's overprescribed. Who's to say the US system isn't just better at catching more of those with adhd? The other factor is Adderal is the drug of choice but but the UK prescribes a few options including on stimulants. I think this lack of choice is a bigger factor personally but I have no proof or evidence.

Whatever the situation I don't think it's right to be so negative about the situation.  Adderal probably keeps a lot of sufferers together and low stock of it will be concerning them. IMHO the issue isn't over prescribing of Adderal but the lack of other options possibly due to the insurance system over there.  A systemic issue not a prescribing issue as such. It at least not only.