Author Topic: Low pulse rate  (Read 1531 times)

Low pulse rate
« on: 16 December, 2022, 12:58:09 pm »
For at least four years, my resting pulse rate has been around 48bpm. This has been commented on by a couple of medical-type people. Once was when we had one of those health screening sessions at work. The other was when I had my pre-op check for a hernia a few years ago, when the nurse said something on the lines of 'it's lower than the chart says, but I'll put down that it's because you're so fit' (which was rather nice!).
I wear an Apple Watch, which can alert you to health issues, such as too high or too low heart rates. The default low number is 50, but I've set the alarm to be 40 bpm. The alarm is triggered by a period of ten minutes with the reading at or below the trigger level. I'd never had an alert until a few weeks ago. I'd driven from Somerset to Portsmouth and back on the Thursday, getting home well after midnight, then driven up to Sheffield the following day so I was just a bit tired. I was also developing a cold. The combination meant that I wanted a nap in the hotel before we went out for the evening. I set an alarm, just in case. I was woken by my watch vibrating, which I assumed was the alarm. MrsC pointed out that the alarm wasn't due for another five minutes or so. Checking the watch showed that the low pulse rate alarm had activated which is what had woken me.
Looking into the documentation on the watch, it indicates that your pulse rate drops by about 10 bpm when asleep, so I was quite happy. I very rarely go to sleep with the watch on.
MrsC however is a bit worried by this. I have promised to ask the next time I am at the doctors' for anything else, but said I didn't think it was worth going specially.

Any advice or comments?
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

ian

Re: Low pulse rate
« Reply #1 on: 16 December, 2022, 01:25:43 pm »
IANAD, but I had to set my Apple Watch to not inform me I am dying unless my HR falls below 40 (my resting HR is about 44, apparently).

It did panic a medic once, but I think if you're regularly active and do a fair amount of aerobic exercise (I swim daily), it's to be expected. Like most measures it's contextual, so if you've bradycardia and a lifestyle that revolves around fried chicken and the sofa, it's a cause for concern.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2 on: 16 December, 2022, 01:37:47 pm »
I get warnings in the night as my pulse sometimes drops to 38 or so and the Apple Watch doesn’t like it.

I feel happy that it’s just because of my fitness.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: 16 December, 2022, 01:48:27 pm »
Aged 70, my sitting around rate has been mid 40s for many decades through cycling.  In hospital earlier this year I warned them what to expect.  They told me off because I was trying to get it to drop below 40 just by deliberate relaxation (I was connected to a monitor).  I could get it to touch 40 but not maintain it.  So I assume that when sleeping my rate will be low 40s unless excited by a nightmare.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 16 December, 2022, 01:56:36 pm »
You should try measuring your blood pressure, particularly diastolic, the evening after a long ride.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 16 December, 2022, 02:29:00 pm »
Low pulse rate here, exacerbated by beta blockers.

Some years ago I had an angiogram and was prescribed three beta blockers for the three mornings coming up to the examination. The woman who carried out the procedure said that everyone else whom she had examined that morning had needed further medication to bring their pulse rates down. I said I didn’t think I would as I had measured it at 42 in the car on the way to the hospital. When she checked it, she took a number of readings, the lowest of which was 38.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6 on: 16 December, 2022, 02:44:56 pm »
Back when I was at a sensible weight, reasonably fit and my resting heart rate was around 48, I recorded 30ish when I was partly woken up by the need to go to the lavvy and felt like throwing up*.
The problem was I took that after running to get a basin from the kitchen and near passing out as the response to the sudden exercise wasn't for everything to go into awake mode.

I did a Duathlon fine the next day and haven't had a repeat since.

* It was something I'd eaten, as confirmed post duathlon in the public lavvys.

« Reply #7 on: 16 December, 2022, 03:02:54 pm »
Below is a breakdown of the normal heart rate range for regular people and athletes:

• 60 to 100 bpm: The normal resting heart rate (or pulse rate).
  • 50 to 59 bpm: A good indicator that your heart is functioning normally if you are not feeling dizzy or ill.
  • 40 to 50 bpm: The normal resting heart rate for athletes, otherwise it is considered low.

Current research says that people with a lower resting heart rate have lower chances of heart attacks, and they tend to live longer lives than those who have a heart rate toward the higher side of the range. Having a lower resting heart rate means that your heart works less at rest to pump blood to the whole body and hence can work efficiently for years.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #8 on: 16 December, 2022, 08:33:53 pm »

Current research says that people with a lower resting heart rate have lower chances of heart attacks, and they tend to live longer lives than those who have a heart rate toward the higher side of the range. Having a lower resting heart rate means that your heart works less at rest to pump blood to the whole body and hence can work efficiently for years.

I've always thought that was the case.  I've no idea if it's true or not, but I'm certain that years ago I read that basically all mammals have a similar average total number of heart beats in a normal lifetime.  So it makes sense not to speed.  In more ways than one.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #9 on: 16 December, 2022, 08:50:38 pm »

I've always thought that was the case.  I've no idea if it's true or not, but I'm certain that years ago I read that basically all mammals have a similar average total number of heart beats in a normal lifetime.  So it makes sense not to speed.  In more ways than one.
I think this idea is no longer felt to be true.

« Reply #10 on: 16 December, 2022, 08:59:58 pm »
Yes, I think Chris is right.

Further, it has been common to think that bradycardia (low heart rate) is "an good thing" because it can be related to athletic prowess and the promise of indestructability.  However, in older people (and 70 IS older people, it's just that it's possible to be older for much longer now) it is something to be careful about and can be indicative of heart failure, which may present as dizziness or faintness - not good on a bike, or generally.  This can be successfully dealt with almost instantly by the insertion of a pacemaker, though cases obviously vary).  It is usually day surgery.  Go and see a doctor.  Don't base your decisions on people on a sporty forum telling you how low their heart-rate is.  At the very least, the length of time it takes for your call to be answered will raise your heart-rate for a few minutes - possibly even for ever!