Author Topic: RR: Hauxton 100 2007  (Read 1630 times)

Maladict

RR: Hauxton 100 2007
« on: 10 April, 2008, 01:06:13 am »
Another lovely day's cycling.

I still felt a bit rough this morning so struggled to get up, eventually emerged at about 8am and then everything to do with getting ready took an age (esp. switching tyres on the back wheel, turbo tyres not being recommended for road use).  Can I justify a second PowerTap to avoid this hassle?  Probably not.   ;D

This left me with time being tight to cycle the 6 miles to the start, and I only got there with 2 minutes to spare - fortunately I was away with the group.  I was greeted by quite a few familiar faces and rode with Rich initially, but when the route got hillier we separated (and came back together on the descent) but then I got away.  I made quick time to the first control at Swaffham Bulbeck, just ate a banana and pressed on.  Rode out from here with Slowfen who didn't seem to be living up to his name.  He seemed to be running a 10bpm lower heart rate than me.

We helped each other out quite a lot in the now cross and head winds heading to Thurlow control then Saffron Walden (info) but he eased off after Saffron Walden so I was on my own after then.  This was probably the hardest bit, being mostly into the wind and climbing to the highest point (138m quoth the GPS).  I finally decided some suncream was in order.

Didn't see anyone else until the finish - once I got to the Barley info control it was basically a downhill/flat and downwind run and I was pushing 40kph out for much of the way back, getting back in 4h30.

At the finish, I spotted at least one Tesco Value product.  Bah!!   >:(

Spent about 2h30 there, much of which repeating the tale of PBP to anyone who asked, and eating 3 filled rolls and drinking two cups of tea (they had run out of coffee!!!)