Author Topic: The Final Chorus?  (Read 695 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
The Final Chorus?
« on: 23 April, 2020, 11:24:12 am »
I am a member of two choirs and of course both have shut down for the duration of the Covid-19 crisis. I'm on the committee of one of them and at our last meeting, on 12th March, we decided to postpone our concert scheduled for 4th April. There had been significantly fewer people at our previous rehearsal as the message was beginning to get through that social distancing was important.

As the lockdown continues, it is becoming increasingly clear that the government is advising over 70s to maintain their isolation as much as possible. This is going to have a very serious effect on lots of organised social events: it seems to me that choirs are are heavily dominated by old buggers. In the case of the choir whose committee I am on, the chairman has just passed 60. I think he's our youngest man. We have 4 or 5 sopranos who are in their 30s, but the vast majority of our ladies are of pensionable age. I think that apart from the chairman and me, every committee member, and our conductor, are over 70.

I think a lengthy lockdown for over-70s will do massive damage to choral societies all over the UK. Choral singing is a tradition that has gone back a very long time, and certainly in the Victorian era there were very large, thriving choral societies. Its future is looking pretty bleak at the moment.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: The Final Chorus?
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2020, 11:35:33 am »
The future for lots of culture & entertainment looks bleak.  https://slippedisc.com/2020/04/uk-theatres-unlikely-to-reopen-before-january/   

I can't see a lot of orchestra's surviving if they can't rehearse, play & get paying bums on seats  :'(     The audience for the RLPO is heavily skewed towards the elderly as well.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: The Final Chorus?
« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2020, 05:39:17 pm »
I think that there is a different demographic threat.  My father retired aged 57 and my father-in-law aged 53.  Both had final salary (defined contribution pensions).  Despite earning substantially more than either of them, I have several defined contribution schemes.  (You pay in for yonks, the pension company offers you 3% of that a year to live on when you retire, and then the taxman takes a slice of that)  so I will be working considerably longer than them and I am one of the lucky ones to have had 30+ years of well paid employment and having set aside money for my retirement. 

Voluntary organisations of all types (I think of my local church) have relied for a long time on a stream of capable people in their mid to late 50s who have taken up roles (such as churchwarden and PCC secretary that are near full time activities), but they're going to find most of those people working until they are in their late 60s and then possibly not having the energy or the desire to pick up an voluntary second career.  Covid-19 may precipitate this crisis but I don't think it's the cause.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)