Author Topic: Super-Twat  (Read 896679 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: Super-Twat
« Reply #4775 on: 29 July, 2021, 02:45:10 pm »
I propose that we re-name this the, "Vile, uncharitable, psychopathic little shit." thread and commemorate this re-naming by entering one Farage, N. as its newest (re)entrant.  His latest act of evil, mean-minded spitefulness?  Having a go at the RNLI for saving people from drowning in the channel.  Of course these weren't gin-swilling yachties* who'd accidentally bumped into a tanker. Oh dearie me, no. These people weren't white people and furthermore none of them had an account at Coutts.  Christ, but that man creature needs to have civilisation and charity beaten into it with a bloody great stick.  Form an orderly queue...

*Some of my best friends are gin-swilling yachties. 

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #4776 on: 29 July, 2021, 02:53:33 pm »
I propose that we re-name this the, "Vile, uncharitable, psychopathic little shit." thread and commemorate this re-naming by entering one Farage, N. as its newest (re)entrant.  His latest act of evil, mean-minded spitefulness?  Having a go at the RNLI for saving people from drowning in the channel.  Of course these weren't gin-swilling yachties* who'd accidentally bumped into a tanker. Oh dearie me, no. These people weren't white people and furthermore none of them had an account at Coutts.  Christ, but that man creature needs to have civilisation and charity beaten into it with a bloody great stick.  Form an orderly queue...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/rnli-donate-migrant-rescue-channel-b1893000.html   

RNLI sees 2,000% daily increase in donations after criticism of asylum rescues in Channel

Charity receives over £200,000 in a day amid surge in support   :-D :-D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #4777 on: 29 July, 2021, 03:09:19 pm »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/rnli-donate-migrant-rescue-channel-b1893000.html   

RNLI sees 2,000% daily increase in donations after criticism of asylum rescues in Channel

Charity receives over £200,000 in a day amid surge in support   :-D :-D
That is glorious.
Rust never sleeps

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4778 on: 29 July, 2021, 03:17:30 pm »
 ;D ;D indeed.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4779 on: 29 July, 2021, 04:14:45 pm »
Tower RNLI crews verbally assaulted last week

https://twitter.com/TowerRNLI/status/1418703723631624199

Farage and Patel might blow the dog whistle but there are a lot of super twats out there at their command
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4780 on: 29 July, 2021, 05:47:41 pm »
Well it’s not often that a thread really gladdens my heart, but I find myself smiling mightily having read of Fartarge’s impact on RNLI funding.   :D :thumbsup:
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4781 on: 30 July, 2021, 10:35:13 am »
<crosses Scarlett Johansson off the women-I'd-leave-my-wife-for list>

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58017445
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4782 on: 30 July, 2021, 11:02:23 am »
It seems puzzling that ac-TORS do not have some sort of wossname built into their contracts that gives them income from streaming services as well as actual bums on cinema seats.  And if some of them do, then the fault line squarely on the shoulders of Ms Johansson or her minions for failing to negotiate something similar.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4783 on: 30 July, 2021, 11:35:13 am »
It seems puzzling that ac-TORS do not have some sort of wossname built into their contracts that gives them income from streaming services as well as actual bums on cinema seats.  And if some of them do, then the fault line squarely on the shoulders of Ms Johansson or her minions for failing to negotiate something similar.

There's a big effort going on to change the distribution of streaming revenue, as it hugely disadvantages the artists, particularly in music. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that actors' contracts are equally behind the times vis-a-vis non-traditional distribution revenue.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4784 on: 30 July, 2021, 11:46:35 am »

I didn’t read the whole article, but I hardly see that a contract dispute with your employer provides grounds for super-twatery. I suspect that his will come down to the difference between moral and legal duties under the contract and that Disney release the stream at the same as the box office outing to maximise their own revenue with no regard to the impact it would have on the actors revenue.

Whether Ms Johansson NEEDS another few millions is a different argument entirely.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4785 on: 30 July, 2021, 11:58:00 am »
Also if there's super-twattery going on and Disney are involved, it's usually safe to assume they're the perpetrators.

« Reply #4786 on: 30 July, 2021, 11:59:45 am »

One less body to climb over ...  😉

I suspect that Disney changed the distribution model without considering the impact on numerous rights holders.  Not so many have the resources to push back so it requires a wealthy name or organisation to push.  There will have already been lots of behind the scenes blather before this point.  It's difficult to know which has the stronger case or which is the real super twat here but I would hedge on Disney being the donkeys.

Also if there's super-twattery going on and Disney are involved, it's usually safe to assume they're the perpetrators.

I'm of that persuasion too.

citoyen

« Reply #4787 on: 30 July, 2021, 12:19:04 pm »
Whether Ms Johansson NEEDS another few millions is a different argument entirely.

This is my beef. It just sticks in the throat a bit when Hollywood megastars quibble over the odd million like this. Not that I ever imagined Scarlett Johansson was in the business for purely artistic reasons, but it's still disappointing to find that she has feet of clay.

Per Kim, I dare say Disney are also guilty of being twattish here as well. It's not an either/or situation.

I think my real problem is in how this kind of dispute is symptomatic of so much that is wrong with the world in general.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4788 on: 30 July, 2021, 12:20:42 pm »
On the other hand contractual disputes happen all the time in all sorts of industries.  They just aren't newsworthy unless there's a famous person involved.

citoyen

« Reply #4789 on: 30 July, 2021, 12:20:55 pm »
I suspect that Disney changed the distribution model without considering the impact on numerous rights holders.  Not so many have the resources to push back so it requires a wealthy name or organisation to push.

Do you imagine that her motivation is to be some kind of Robin Hood figure? Even if she wins, is there likely to be any trickle down benefit to others?

« Reply #4790 on: 30 July, 2021, 12:53:58 pm »
If she loses then the money stays with the Disney Corporation*. I'm not sure how that's preferable.

(* and the lawyers)

citoyen

« Reply #4791 on: 30 July, 2021, 01:08:13 pm »
If she loses then the money stays with the Disney Corporation*. I'm not sure how that's preferable.

I find it hard to care who has the greater 'right' to the money when we're talking about such obscene sums.

Something definitely needs to be done about making sure artists/performers get a fairer share of the income from streaming services, but I'm sceptical that this case will make a difference to anyone other than Scarlett Johansson (and, as you say, the lawyers).

« Reply #4792 on: 30 July, 2021, 01:18:26 pm »
I suspect that Disney changed the distribution model without considering the impact on numerous rights holders.  Not so many have the resources to push back so it requires a wealthy name or organisation to push.

Do you imagine that her motivation is to be some kind of Robin Hood figure? Even if she wins, is there likely to be any trickle down benefit to others?

Of course not: that would be fanciful at best.

What I am suggesting is that in essence she could set the legal precedent in terms of not only her earning now but how the industry distributes earning to all interested parties in the future.  It is how the cumbersome legal system tends to work and why for instance Trades Unions have been so beneficial even for non-members.  Somebody has to have the money to take the case and set the precedent. 

Her motives are extremely unlikely to be altruistic but her actions could well turn out to be.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4793 on: 30 July, 2021, 01:29:32 pm »

This is my beef. It just sticks in the throat a bit when Hollywood megastars quibble over the odd million like this. Not that I ever imagined Scarlett Johansson was in the business for purely artistic reasons, but it's still disappointing to find that she has feet of clay.

Per Kim, I dare say Disney are also guilty of being twattish here as well. It's not an either/or situation.

I think my real problem is in how this kind of dispute is symptomatic of so much that is wrong with the world in general.
Extrapolate her issue to those actors in the movie who are on far lower paypackets, and you might see why it's a legitimate beef.

Edit: what PB said.

« Reply #4794 on: 30 July, 2021, 04:31:03 pm »

Extrapolate her issue to those actors in the movie who are on far lower paypackets, and you might see why it's a legitimate beef.

Edit: what PB said.
But also why Disney is not keen to make these changes.  I think that small upfront and percentage of takings is normal for the stars but less common for others. 

ian

« Reply #4795 on: 30 July, 2021, 09:04:26 pm »

I find it hard to care who has the greater 'right' to the money when we're talking about such obscene sums.

Something definitely needs to be done about making sure artists/performers get a fairer share of the income from streaming services, but I'm sceptical that this case will make a difference to anyone other than Scarlett Johansson (and, as you say, the lawyers).

I don't disagree on the sums, it seems bonkers that anyone needs hundred of millions. I could get by on half that.

But I see her point, and if the studios get room to wiggle, they'll wiggle, and that shafts everyone down the chain.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4796 on: 30 July, 2021, 10:16:59 pm »
BONG! Super-Twats embroiled in unfettered neoliberalistic capitalism. BONG!

« Reply #4797 on: 30 July, 2021, 10:18:36 pm »
(Having not watched ITN news in, oooooo, about 20 years, do they still do the BONGs thing ?)
Rust never sleeps

citoyen

« Reply #4798 on: 31 July, 2021, 11:04:41 am »
BONG! Super-Twats embroiled in unfettered neoliberalistic capitalism. BONG!

Yep, that’s pretty much what it comes down to.

I’m really not persuaded by the argument that it will lead to positive changes for people down the food chain but we’ll see.

« Reply #4799 on: 31 July, 2021, 02:36:01 pm »
Lord Digby Jones, Baron Jones of Birmingham

https://twitter.com/Digbylj/status/1421164856527437825
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)