Author Topic: Super-Twat  (Read 896424 times)

Re: Super-Twat
« Reply #5800 on: 30 August, 2022, 12:03:06 am »
^ An utter cockwomble.  Might I add that he was one of the better options the Con party could scrape together for pm.   :facepalm:
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #5801 on: 02 September, 2022, 12:56:20 pm »
Jamie Oliver

Trying to 'help' people struggling, by releasing a new £20 book trumpeting one-pot meals. One such recipe included cumberland sausage, parmesan cheese, red wine, etc.

No wonder his restaurants went bust, he can't add up cost of ingredients.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/bbc-one-show-viewers-slam-24909805?fbclid=IwAR1-4laKPXXx8U_3WykVOjapAUHxdil-sLscP2domQ5IJYMOxDQdJAtx6WM
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5802 on: 02 September, 2022, 01:20:20 pm »
BloJo himself for suggesting that buying a new kettle would be the answer to your energy consumption woes.

BloJo himself for suggesting that after 12 years of fascist energy policy favouring nukes and fossil whilst deliberately blocking renewables that it's all Labour's fault.

BloJo himself for sticking two fingers up at the British public and fucking off on holiday what the UK bathes in shit and poverty.

Oh fuck it:  BloJo.  Just because.

« Reply #5803 on: 02 September, 2022, 01:31:51 pm »
Jamie Oliver

Trying to 'help' people struggling, by releasing a new £20 book trumpeting one-pot meals. One such recipe included cumberland sausage, parmesan cheese, red wine, etc.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/bbc-one-show-viewers-slam-24909805?fbclid=IwAR1-4laKPXXx8U_3WykVOjapAUHxdil-sLscP2domQ5IJYMOxDQdJAtx6WM

In fairness to the Fat-Tongued Mockney, you can get really cheap parmesan substitutes like grana padano for £2, Cumberland sausages (pack of 8)  for £1.49, and a bottle of red wine for £2.69 in Aldi, so it may well be do-able.

« Reply #5804 on: 02 September, 2022, 01:44:53 pm »
Jamie Oliver

In fairness to the Fat-Tongued Mockney, you can get really cheap parmesan substitutes like grana padano for £2, Cumberland sausages (pack of 8)  for £1.49, and a bottle of red wine for £2.69 in Aldi, so it may well be do-able.
Still doesn't come out as under £1.45 per person, for four servings, though, does it?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5805 on: 02 September, 2022, 02:22:48 pm »
And as far as I could see from the tv programmes it was nothing to do with cheaper meals, just less 1 pan meals, so you’re criticising him for something he’s not trying to do AFAICS. 

And precisely no-one pays full price for the books if they’ve an ounce of sense.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5806 on: 02 September, 2022, 04:24:14 pm »
Then perhaps he was unwise to quote said £1.45 pp.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #5807 on: 02 September, 2022, 04:33:15 pm »
Jamie Oliver

Still doesn't come out as under £1.45 per person, for four servings, though, does it?

Well I don't know as I haven't seen the recipe, so I don't know how much of each product is needed.

EDIT: Was it this recipe?

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/cumberland-sausage-casserole/

If it was then the ingredients for the recipe work out at £4 for 4 servings. (excluding olive oil, dried chillies and breadcrumbs)

That's £1 a serving.

I mean, I had a look at the comments below the line in that newspaper article to which you linked, and judging by the lack of literacy I'm going to assume inummeracy in the correspondents as well. The sort of people who think that 'parmesan to serve', means a whole 200g block, and not a few scrapings.

Or, in cycling terms, people who think it costs £8 to oil their chain, because that is how much a tube of chain lube costs.

ian

« Reply #5808 on: 02 September, 2022, 05:51:37 pm »
We shouldn’t let poor people eat Parmesan. It’ll give them ideas.

« Reply #5809 on: 02 September, 2022, 06:06:30 pm »
They'll be pricing the likes of you out of Tuscany, Ian.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5810 on: 02 September, 2022, 11:44:08 pm »
We shouldn’t let poor people eat Parmesan. It’ll give them ideas.

Qu’ils mangent de l’avocat
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #5811 on: 03 September, 2022, 12:03:53 am »
Let them eat lawyers?  :P
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5812 on: 03 September, 2022, 01:02:54 am »
If the barristers stay out on strike much longer it could well come to that.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5813 on: 05 September, 2022, 08:06:13 am »
Jamie Oliver

Well I don't know as I haven't seen the recipe, so I don't know how much of each product is needed.

EDIT: Was it this recipe?

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/cumberland-sausage-casserole/

If it was then the ingredients for the recipe work out at £4 for 4 servings. (excluding olive oil, dried chillies and breadcrumbs)

That's £1 a serving.

I mean, I had a look at the comments below the line in that newspaper article to which you linked, and judging by the lack of literacy I'm going to assume inummeracy in the correspondents as well. The sort of people who think that 'parmesan to serve', means a whole 200g block, and not a few scrapings.

Or, in cycling terms, people who think it costs £8 to oil their chain, because that is how much a tube of chain lube costs.
I don't know where you get your prices from. I just checked on Asda - ignoring the olive oil (!), rosemary etc, the basic ingredients come to £8.10.

Adding in purchase of olive oil, cost of cooking, chillies etc and it is going to be much higher.

Assuming that someone has fresh rosemary, a handy bottle of olive oil, some spare red wine is right into Sam Vimes boots theory of poverty.  That is the sort of thinking that gives Jack Monroe apoplexy, and rightly so.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #5814 on: 05 September, 2022, 10:07:58 am »
I agree we need more celebrity chefs advising poor people how to make nutritious meals out of canal sludge, twigs, hairballs, and despair.

The average poor person could replicate that recipe easy, chop up some onions, chuck in some chopped garden weeds and a splash of Tesco value lager, a tin of baked beans, and then at the end, a Greggs sausage roll. Et voilà!

We need to ensure poor people know their place, so please, let's not encourage them. They'll be squandering their meagre income on capers rather than potato waffles.

In other news, didn't Jack Monroe turn out to be a bit of a bluffer? The Sam Vines thing doesn't seem to have gone anywhere other than a single headline.

ian

« Reply #5815 on: 05 September, 2022, 11:57:16 am »
As an aside, re JM's hyperbolic claims of food price inflation that kicked off the Vimes Boots thing, there's a more nuanced ONS report here that shows pricing overall is tracking inflation, which is what you'd expect.

« Reply #5816 on: 05 September, 2022, 12:11:38 pm »
As an aside, re JM's hyperbolic claims of food price inflation that kicked off the Vimes Boots thing, there's a more nuanced ONS report here that shows pricing overall is tracking inflation, which is what you'd expect.

I think it’s the “overall” in your statement that’s perhaps missing JM’s point. Yes, overall prices will generally track inflation, but very cheap low margin foods are going to disappear from the market, forcing the poorest consumers to spend proportionately more.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #5817 on: 05 September, 2022, 12:17:59 pm »
The report has a breakdown (so pasta has gone up significantly, probably reflecting global wheat prices) whereas potatoes, for instance, are cheaper.

I'd agree it's a more worrisome trend that processed foods are getting relatively cheaper, pizza and oven chips is down. I suspect a degree of cynical and exploitative pricing from our ever-lovable supermarkets doing what they can 'to help' by shifting more high-margin junk.

Fortunately, poor people shouldn't eat pasta, as it might patronize them or detract them from eating an entire parmesan wheel.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5818 on: 05 September, 2022, 12:34:46 pm »
(Looks at report)

Some obvious solutions:
  • Pasta - replace with chips
  • Crisps - replace with potatoes
  • Bread - replace with pizza
  • Beef mince - replace with anything you can catch with a stolen tin of Pedigree Chum and a shovel
:demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5819 on: 05 September, 2022, 02:10:25 pm »
I agree we need more celebrity chefs advising poor people how to make nutritious meals out of canal sludge, twigs, hairballs, and despair.

The average poor person could replicate that recipe easy, chop up some onions, chuck in some chopped garden weeds and a splash of Tesco value lager, a tin of baked beans, and then at the end, a Greggs sausage roll. Et voilà!

We need to ensure poor people know their place, so please, let's not encourage them. They'll be squandering their meagre income on capers rather than potato waffles.

In other news, didn't Jack Monroe turn out to be a bit of a bluffer? The Sam Vines thing doesn't seem to have gone anywhere other than a single headline.

Actually, not enough JM publicity.

Her public shouting had two effects:
Multiple supermarket reinstated their 'value' ranges, at reasonable prices.
The ONS were prompted to do new research, which showed a large rise in the cost of value products (50%, not the 141% JM had claimed, although she was citing a particular item, not a statistically-calculated sample).

The Office for National Statistics said it accepted that every person had their own inflation rate and it would do more to capture the impact of price increases on different income groups.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5820 on: 05 September, 2022, 03:37:35 pm »
Gotta love Jack Monroe.

The fascist establishment have been biting at her for a while.  Hatey Katie took a kicking and I think Lee "blackleg" Anderson is having to deal with the consequences of his nasty mouth too at the moment.

Not sure why the right wing hate her.  Oh yes, it's because she knows what it's like to be poor and isn't afraid to say so.

ian

« Reply #5821 on: 05 September, 2022, 03:49:21 pm »
ONS were already re-evaluating this (and they do so every year), so while no publicity is bad publicity, it was probably going to happen anyway. Supermarkets are as mercenary as ever, they want to sell products at the best margin, which is processed and packaged goods, and surprise, surprise, what's cheapest? Poverty is a market opportunity for them. They're not there to provide people with cheap, good-quality food. They want to sell frozen pizza and oven chips.

Arguably, Jack Monroe does a good job in publicising the issues, but I find her poverty schtick a bit tiresome and she seems to go through a lot of confabulation concerning her history of straitened circumstance.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5822 on: 05 September, 2022, 04:14:45 pm »
Interestingly, I unfollowed her on twitter early this morning as I was finding her a bit boring.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #5823 on: 05 September, 2022, 05:58:23 pm »

Assuming that someone has fresh rosemary, a handy bottle of olive oil, some spare red wine is right into Sam Vimes boots theory of poverty.  That is the sort of thinking that gives Jack Monroe apoplexy, and rightly so.

Prices from Aldi. It's where the poors shop. And me.

Whatever supplementary ingredients are needed, like oil, have to be costed pro rata. Arguably, the £2 bottle of wine, might be an extravagance unless of course the remainder can be used in another recipe.

With regards to online apoplexy, somebody somewhere is always getting apoplectic about something, but in this case, judging by my calculations (which are correct) the apoplexy is unwarranted.

Maybe Jack Monroe shops at Waitrose?

« Reply #5824 on: 05 September, 2022, 06:03:34 pm »

Prices from Aldi. It's where the poors shop. And me.

Whatever supplementary ingredients are needed, like oil, have to be costed pro rata. Arguably, the £2 bottle of wine, might be an extravagance unless of course the remainder can be used in another recipe.

With regards to online apoplexy, somebody somewhere is always getting apoplectic about something, but in this case, judging by my calculations (which are correct) the apoplexy is unwarranted.

Maybe Jack Monroe shops at Waitrose?
My bold.
Deeply provocative remark.