Author Topic: Super-Twat  (Read 896649 times)

Re: Super-Twat
« Reply #6575 on: 30 August, 2023, 11:46:18 pm »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #6576 on: 31 August, 2023, 09:27:33 am »
Charlie Mullins...   https://twitter.com/roadcc/status/1696933338408198415

Blimey

It is surprising that X would suspend someone for something as innocuous as incitement to violence.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6577 on: 31 August, 2023, 10:18:02 am »
Mullins cements his place in fascist folklore.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6578 on: 31 August, 2023, 07:27:52 pm »
These people. https://x.com/mrjacklowe/status/1696432901737337057
Take your stuff home.
A bit old fashioned I know, but I wonder how you can afford to chuck a tent after one use.

I have a tent I got at decathlon for €20. I use it for festivals on the basis that I don't care if it gets completely trashed.

It's obviously a culture thing.  People expect their stuff to get trashed at festivals, so bring stuff they don't care about.  Manufacturers understandably see that gap in the market and produce barely-functional low-cost camping gear for the purpose.  So we now have the concept of the 'festival tent', organisers expect to be picking up litter and abandoned equipment after the event, and the festival goers now have the expectation that they can just abandon everything they don't want to bring home.

That this doesn't happen at, say, a folk festival or the York Rally proves the point.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #6579 on: 31 August, 2023, 10:28:52 pm »
I’m still trying to see the attraction of going to a music festival. I might manage a Folk festival for a couple of days, but I go camping to get away from people.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #6580 on: 31 August, 2023, 10:46:17 pm »
I’m still trying to see the attraction of going to a music festival. I might manage a Folk festival for a couple of days, but I go camping to get away from people.
The use of tents at music festivals is not anything that I would call camping. I was at WOMAD, 2010(?). I got there, pitched my tent, went off to enjoy some sounds, came back a few hours later and had a real problem finding my tent because the whole area had become jam packed full of tents, pitched virtually on top of each other. I suffered a very unpleasant night and left the next day, even though I had a ticket for the whole weekend.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6581 on: 31 August, 2023, 11:47:45 pm »

Depends on the festival, I guess. I don't like crowded camping areas so I commuted to Womad this year. Previous years the Artist area has been busy and the Crew are pretty quiet (plus most campers are working, so much quieter) but Crew was busy this year. Cornbury was lovely - huge camping areas, and a quieter 'family' camping bit. Sadly, the festival is finished now.

I did do Reading a long time ago, took a tent and took it home. The camping was crowded though, but flagons of vinegar wine and Party 7s made it bearable  ;D

I read some of the ways that festival organisers might control this trash camping but didn't think any of them would work. I think that now trash-festival-camping is so engrained that the only way to stop it is to not hold the festival.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6582 on: 01 September, 2023, 12:30:50 am »
I read some of the ways that festival organisers might control this trash camping but didn't think any of them would work.

What appears to work is being, very clearly, from the outset, Not That Sort Of Festival.  At which point you attract the sort of person who - while they might use cheap camping kit or get drunk - prides themselves on being Better Than That.  Put enough of those in your camping field and the less conscientious will make an effort to tidy up so as not to look like a prat.

Whether this is compatible with mainstream music festival audiences is unclear, but I don't rate the chances of the notorious festivals changing their culture without a major re-branding (which probably means an alternative location).

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #6583 on: 01 September, 2023, 07:49:03 am »
Throw away consumerist society.

Anecdote from my little dear who was at Reading this year.  (general festival age demographic: mainly late teens, apparently, or behaving as such)
(He did bring his tent back to sunny Suffolk, it was a pop up one he bought for the event, knowing about potential trashing.  It had running water in every room ie single skinned with condensation. )

Discussion on the penultimate day in his group was along the lines of "everything gets trashed on the last night, shall we (not drink and) leave this evening?  Conclusion was yes, apart from him and another couple who had pre-booked trains the next day.

That final night the little dear gets woken up by a disturbance so sticks his head out of popup.  Nearby are a group of festivo yoof* pounding on a tent and flattening it.  "what are you doing?" quoth he.  "Don't worry, we aren't going to be doing your tent" they say, and continue.  "But what are you doing though?", he persists, mindful of the fact that he might indeed become the next tent on the list, and drops out of site.  Festivo yoofs get bored and depart under little dear's hidden watchful eyes.  Person emerges from battered tent muttering "wtf?".   
Little dear wonders why person didn't protest earlier; we shall never know.

Perhaps, in the same way as campsites have noise curfews which generally** work there ought to be a festival code of conduct which you specifically agree to buy buying your entry including no trashing of other people's stuff and taking your rubbish home with you including damaged items; also supplying a suitable no. of litter receptacles, assuming they don't already do so.  Then asking festival goers to help with policing it.  And make them feel bad when you randomly ask on the way out whether they've remembered to pack or bin everything.

*not his word and "yoof" on its own may have connotations
** don't always work, as I experienced this summer.  Little dear took ear plugs.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #6584 on: 05 September, 2023, 04:00:55 pm »
I had to re-read your first sentence there Arabella three times before I got to consumerist and not communist! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

We almost went to a festival this year but decided against it.  In the past I have packed away abandoned tents.  A friend used to do voluntary work and take down unwanted tents for donation to charities working with an ecological group.  They would advertise so as to encourage folk to take a label and leave it on the tent for recycling.  He says that it was a very successful scheme.

ian

« Reply #6585 on: 05 September, 2023, 08:46:04 pm »
I read some of the ways that festival organisers might control this trash camping but didn't think any of them would work.

What appears to work is being, very clearly, from the outset, Not That Sort Of Festival.  At which point you attract the sort of person who - while they might use cheap camping kit or get drunk - prides themselves on being Better Than That.  Put enough of those in your camping field and the less conscientious will make an effort to tidy up so as not to look like a prat.

Whether this is compatible with mainstream music festival audiences is unclear, but I don't rate the chances of the notorious festivals changing their culture without a major re-branding (which probably means an alternative location).

Glastonbury back in the 90s looked like a bomb site when everyone left and that was before you could buy a pop-up tent for a tenner so attendees had some investment. This was in the tail-end of the fence assault years, when the place was deluged by drug dealers and tent-slashing thieves. By the final year I went, I think our tent was mostly duct tape. For better or worse, it doesn't pretend to be anything other than a commercial venture now. Reading looked like Iraq after a USAF tea party.

It's more of an illustration of how we live now. I wouldn't ever had thought just to leave my stuff, all the rubbish and everything else and go home. We find that often now, people have a barbecue and picnic in the park or in the countryside and just up and leave their mess. Surely they enjoyed the venue, how hard to put everything in the carrier bag they'd also left and take it home? Same for drivers, who tidy up after their junk food meal by throwing it out of the window onto the roadside. I picked up some litter earlier at the bus stop, the usual, even though there is a rubbish bin right there, next to the stop. I don't know why but I'd definitely support bringing back the death penalty if it were applied for littering offences.

« Reply #6586 on: 06 September, 2023, 07:59:54 am »
You can now buy the ultimate festival tent, made of brown cardboard.

People have tested them, camping in heavy rain. They seem to last well for a few days.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6587 on: 20 September, 2023, 05:49:35 pm »
Rishi Sunak (or RishGPT as John Grace calls him). For committing 100% to net-zero for the UK by 2050, but not having a clue about what to do or how to get there. Just following the same old Tory policy of the last 13 years to make promises to do 'stuff' but later bow to pressure from rich donors to the party, and crackpots in the party, to cancel it and just revert to business as usual.

To quote the late great David MacKay, in the context of the question could the UK live entirely off renewable energy (and if you haven't read 'Sustainability without the hot air' then you really should), "I don't care what plan you have, as long as it is a plan that makes sense".

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #6588 on: 21 September, 2023, 07:46:10 am »
Quote from: drgannet
Just following the same old Tory policy of the last 13 years
But of course. Party before country (or planet) every single time.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #6589 on: 21 September, 2023, 09:48:18 am »

Festivals should have quite while they were ahead, like just after Woodstock 1969 or the Isle of Wight 1968-70.   

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #6590 on: 22 September, 2023, 11:11:45 am »
That'll be my "cheeky chappy" colleague who thinks himself a comedian with his stupid voices, puerile jokes and "cheeky chappy" attitude. We had an email come round this morning from HR. Our landlord (we're on a small industrial estate) complained that someone was seen on CCTV throwing fruit out of a first floor window. Yep, that's the twat sat 5m from me - tho this time I have plausible deniability, I didn't actually see him do it this time. Thing is, it was 07:36 on a Friday as numbers are low - WFH and 9 day fortnight for many. We have access cards. Not hard to see who was in at that time (me, him, ummm 1 other, only the first 2 in the suspect area).  I wonder if I'll get a tug from HR when they're nest in on Monday  ::-)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #6592 on: 28 September, 2023, 11:28:56 am »
That is appalling.  Oddly, in Rochdale last week, a couple of perfectly sound mature trees were sawn down overnight on an urban street, one crushing a car.  Do we have a youtube or tiktok-related pattern on our hands, I wonder.

« Reply #6593 on: 28 September, 2023, 04:18:09 pm »
16 year-old arrested.  You tube/internet looking even likelier?

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #6594 on: 28 September, 2023, 10:47:53 pm »
Rish! (again) for his reply when asked about HS2 to Manchester - which was along the lines of "everyone here is using cars to get around" (and therefore potholes were the number one issue)

« Reply #6595 on: 07 October, 2023, 02:24:58 pm »
Lozza Fox (again) for brandishing a copy of The Gulag Archipeligo” on being released on bail.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6596 on: 07 October, 2023, 03:31:33 pm »
60 year old apprehended.  What does that tell us?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6597 on: 07 October, 2023, 11:55:01 pm »
60 year old apprehended.  What does that tell us?

I'm guessing Facebook and/or DECT phones were involved.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6598 on: 11 October, 2023, 02:19:02 pm »
The good news is that media irritant Lionel Shriver is leaving BRITAIN for Portugal, which is “culturally coherent”.  I imagine she’s in for a shock when she finds out that the among the ranks of ye Portingals may be found a substantial proportion of brown people with ancestors from southern Africa and/or the sub-continent.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6599 on: 11 October, 2023, 02:25:36 pm »
Shhhhh!  Don't give her a clue.  Let her find out.   😉

She'll discover that Portugal is part of the EU too.  I wonder how she will cope?