Author Topic: Rural South 300  (Read 16360 times)

Re: Rural South 300
« Reply #75 on: 08 June, 2023, 09:30:30 pm »
It’s going to be a toasty one again this year….sun cream will be basted on😎👍
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #76 on: 12 June, 2023, 10:01:11 pm »
How did you all get on? I swapped to the Up the Downs For Reasons - but even that was hard work in the heat.

« Reply #77 on: 15 June, 2023, 08:11:39 pm »
How did you all get on? I swapped to the Up the Downs For Reasons - but even that was hard work in the heat.
I cooked myself and took a swift right turn into Milford Station and jumped on a train back home😆👍. I don’t think I was the only one to DNF it and there were only 11 starters.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #78 on: 16 June, 2023, 10:50:40 am »
I cooked myself and took a swift right turn into Milford Station and jumped on a train back home😆👍. I don’t think I was the only one to DNF it and there were only 11 starters.

That's a shame. I would have DNF'ed too - I took 12 hours for the 200km which extrapolated into 260km Shelborne means I would have missed serving time. And later on - even missed the chance to get water. It didn't get much cooler in the evening that day so not many options to cool down - other than just to stop more often.

« Reply #79 on: 24 February, 2024, 08:13:51 pm »
Just to say that this year’s Rural South 300km is on Saturday 29th June, and is now open for entries here https://www.audax.uk/event-details/10728-the_rural_south

Based on feedback, there’s some changes to the commercial controls so the event now uses a pub/café in East Meon and the village shop/café in Kirdford. I’ve also tweaked the route: you’ll cycle over the Devils Punchbowl on what was the old A3 (now a tarmaced sustain route), and avoid the Basingstoke surbubs near the end.

Hope to see you there  :)

« Reply #80 on: 24 February, 2024, 08:24:01 pm »
Such a good route.

Rode it with jwo once. Had a great time.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #81 on: 28 February, 2024, 07:23:13 pm »
Just to say that this year’s Rural South 300km is on Saturday 29th June, and is now open for entries here https://www.audax.uk/event-details/10728-the_rural_south

Based on feedback, there’s some changes to the commercial controls so the event now uses a pub/café in East Meon and the village shop/café in Kirdford. I’ve also tweaked the route: you’ll cycle over the Devils Punchbowl on what was the old A3 (now a tarmaced sustain route), and avoid the Basingstoke surbubs near the end.

ooh! I have a June gap, and doing The Punchbowl sounds fun. I was never keen on the Basingstoke suburbs bit either!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #82 on: 29 February, 2024, 07:35:30 pm »

ooh! I have a June gap, and doing The Punchbowl sounds fun. I was never keen on the Basingstoke suburbs bit either!

I'm rather keen on those suburbs.  If they weren't there I'd be homeless.  It's the closest any AUK route has ever gone to my house and the one time I did the Rural South I passed within 400m of home with about 20km to go, and suffered a massive hunger knock on the little hill up to Tesco in Chineham.  I did enjoy the ride, but it usually clashes with longer plans these days.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)