Author Topic: Woodburning camp stoves  (Read 76885 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Woodburning camp stoves
« Reply #25 on: 13 July, 2010, 05:58:25 pm »
I know from tedious experience that you can get high-temperature muffin fans if you search hard enough, but they tend to be mains-powered, and therefore even sillier.

I think the KISS principle wins on something like this.  If you're going to be reliant on electrical gubbins, you might as well rely on gas cartridges or meths, which have the advantage of still working when the wood's wet/hard to find.

« Reply #26 on: 13 July, 2010, 06:05:37 pm »
Why do you need batteries?
You have a bicycle with a dynamo, no?

Actually, I was rather thinking of the wind-up torches - surely one of them could drive a fan if you connected it up?

« Reply #27 on: 13 July, 2010, 06:44:14 pm »
I would think for a fan driven stove, the battery is the easy and relatively reliable bit.  The fan itself is what is going to be unreliable, and fail.

You could probably power the fan with a small thermocouple arrangement, but I suspect you could also just have a small hand powered mechanical fan, or directly mechanically linked to a bike drive mechanism.  I wonder if there would be enough oomph in a small wind up clockwork motor?
Actually, it is rocket science.

Zoidburg

« Reply #28 on: 13 July, 2010, 08:43:13 pm »
I would use a set of foot driven bellows.

Just like any village workshop in the developing world.

« Reply #29 on: 13 July, 2010, 08:53:20 pm »
Next stop - the Fell Club ;D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #30 on: 13 July, 2010, 09:15:28 pm »
I would use a set of foot driven bellows.

Just like any village workshop in the developing world.

Bit bulky though, for a portable camping stove.

Zoidburg

« Reply #31 on: 13 July, 2010, 09:17:06 pm »
Not really, I am sure you could make up a concertina design thats packs flat made from modern materials, it doesnt even have to be that large, this is small scale stuff.

« Reply #32 on: 14 July, 2010, 12:07:01 am »
Drill press?  Check.

Scrap metal?  Possibly.

Fettling skillz?  I haz my opinions.

To the workshops Igor!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #33 on: 14 July, 2010, 07:38:41 am »
Well done Nuts. So not only will you require an ambulance but the Fire Brigade too. Can't you come up with a project that will require the attendance of all the emergency services?  We don't want the police and AA feeling left out.

« Reply #34 on: 14 July, 2010, 08:24:05 am »
These things are awesome - I first became awayre of them through the charities that provide them to the developing world.

Does anyone know if anyone is making these commercially as either an alternative to a wood burning stove in a house (to heat a room) or a garden heater (to heat the proximity and cook food on) to replace a chiminea and barbeque?

For a house I think the Dunsley Yorkshire Stove works on a similar principle:

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #35 on: 14 July, 2010, 09:57:05 am »
Well done Nuts. So not only will you require an ambulance but the Fire Brigade too. Can't you come up with a project that will require the attendance of all the emergency services?  We don't want the police and AA feeling left out.

Fit woodburner to home built steam carriage for journey to work?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #36 on: 14 July, 2010, 10:43:45 am »
Something like that. 

Haven't you got a Windcheeter?  Take off the chainset / cranks and attach a firebox to the boom between your legs.  The engine bit behind you on the rear rack.  What could possibly go wrong?

« Reply #37 on: 14 July, 2010, 11:04:00 am »
Visions of nutty steaming down the road (grabbing sticks as he goes), funnel rising up behind him, steam whistle "wheeee wheeee" in place of airzound, trailer getting heavier as passers-by leap aboard....

« Reply #38 on: 14 July, 2010, 11:39:08 am »
I tested it out on the WARTY this weekend and it was a complete success.  Should you feel like building one, I have blogged about it.

More photos please?  (Showing each part and how it is drilled)

« Reply #39 on: 14 July, 2010, 11:42:25 am »

AA? What about the Coastguards and Mountain Rescue?
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: 14 July, 2010, 11:48:15 am »
More photos please?  (Showing each part and how it is drilled)

I'll try and take some more tonight for you, Nutty  :-*
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Oscar's dad

« Reply #41 on: 14 July, 2010, 12:27:34 pm »

AA? What about the Coastguards and Mountain Rescue?

The AA did call themselves "the 4th Emergency Service".  I'm not sure that Alcoholics Anonymous have much to offer in this instance.  If Nutty was thinking of using a meths burner they might suddenly become interested.

There is an Essex Mountain Rescue Facebook group so I will alert them.  As Nutty lives by the sea we had better have the Coastguard on standby.

« Reply #42 on: 14 July, 2010, 01:10:08 pm »
Nice work, Charlotte!  :thumbsup:

Of course, for real minimalism, you should just carry your knife, and fashion one from tin cans found at the side of the road... A friend recently built one based on this design and reckons it worked quite well. I haven't seen it running yet, though.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #43 on: 14 July, 2010, 01:12:17 pm »
Ahem.

Despite their ludicrous advert claims, I'd rather think of the Coastguard and Mountain Rescue as the 4th and 5th emergency services.

Now, Nutty, getting all of them out in one go truly would be an achievement.

Perhaps climbing up the White Cliffs of Dover whilst carrying a lit camping stove ?

Rust never sleeps

« Reply #44 on: 14 July, 2010, 03:03:33 pm »
Despite their ludicrous advert claims, I'd rather think of the Coastguard and Mountain Rescue as the 4th and 5th emergency services.

The Coastguard are certainly allowed to use blue flashing lights, although I'm not sure about the Mountain Rescue bods.

The AA are stuck with flashing amber, the same as used by anyone else who vaguely feels like turning on such, eg rubbish trucks driving perfectly normally along roads at 30mph, who feel the need to warn you that they are about. :-\

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #45 on: 14 July, 2010, 04:16:07 pm »
Ahem.

Now, Nutty, getting all of them out in one go truly would be an achievement.

Perhaps climbing up the White Cliffs of Dover whilst carrying a lit camping stove ?

To be fair, IIRC the AA advertisement states that "to our members we are the 4th emergency service. Which begs two questions. Is the AA in question Alcoholics Anonymous? And if not, does it not say a good deal about the horizons of that particular brand of homo sapiens that joins the Automobile Association and then spends the greater part of its curtailed, wheezing life behind the wheel of its 4 * 4?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #46 on: 14 July, 2010, 04:37:59 pm »
Coffee sugar & biscuit tins purchased (£2.12 - I has staff discount card  ;) ).  :thumbsup:

I think I'll make some jigs up at work to aid with the drilling, in case I want to make more and also, because I can.  :P

Looking forward to pics of coffee tin drilled base, Charlotte.  :-*
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #47 on: 14 July, 2010, 05:02:58 pm »
Coffee sugar & biscuit tins purchased (£2.12 - I has staff discount card  ;) ).  :thumbsup:

I think I'll make some jigs up at work to aid with the drilling, in case I want to make more and also, because I can.  :P

Looking forward to pics of coffee tin drilled base, Charlotte.  :-*

I think there is a market for these things.  As already stated I'd buy one assuming it was reasonably priced.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: 14 July, 2010, 10:23:44 pm »
As requested, chaps:

More on my blog  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #49 on: 15 July, 2010, 01:28:56 pm »
You're just addicted to polishing the paint off product tins!

You are Naomi Klein AICMFP.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.