Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3942926 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #23300 on: 23 April, 2020, 04:15:25 pm »

yes, for my usual training ride

Looks familiar, Surrey?

kent, for smoother roads

rob

« Reply #23301 on: 23 April, 2020, 04:31:45 pm »

yes, for my usual training ride

Looks familiar, Surrey?

kent, for smoother roads

Must keep an eye out for you.  I’m either out before 8:30 or after 5.

« Reply #23302 on: 23 April, 2020, 05:42:35 pm »
Short ride by the standards of most on here, just 7 miles to Denham village to see the wisteria, and round Denham Country Park on tracks.

On the tandem, so couldn't bunny hop the bridge steps or steer tightly round the mud patches as on a solo. Quite a few other family cyclists out and about, not many walkers once more than a few hundred yards from parked cars.

bairn again

« Reply #23303 on: 23 April, 2020, 08:44:28 pm »
Tandem ride with a slightly weary stoker who'd been out running yesterday. 

Pretty much a reprise of my solo ride on Tuesday, out from Edinburgh through Kirknewton to Harperrig REservoir and back home via Balerno and Kingsknowe. 

A71 sufficiently meh to get off it after half a mile, but the Lang Whang was a joy.

Great fun.  https://ridewithgps.com/trips/47628368 

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #23304 on: 23 April, 2020, 09:26:53 pm »
Out on the boingy bike on a mix of roads and bridleways for almost three hours. Marvellous weather, no mechanicals, stayed on the bike, saw a buzzard from close up.

My legs feel it now.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #23305 on: 23 April, 2020, 09:38:49 pm »
Doing some electronics project work this morning, but got finished up in time to go for an afternoon ride.

Somewhat aimless start had me up the Cairn o'Mount for a 90k loop, which was longer than I'd intended.
Nice day for it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3341817021

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #23306 on: 23 April, 2020, 10:36:41 pm »
Amazing how this thread has run since 2008 and grown at about 6.4 pages a month- with a 'lockdown' in place (for about a month now) everyone wants to post about their ride and it's grown 16 pages in 4 weeks  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23307 on: 23 April, 2020, 10:41:01 pm »
Some of that's going to be displaced activity from other boards/threads, since nobody's allowed to do any touring, audax or racing, and a lot of the usual commuting and utility riding won't be happening.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #23308 on: 23 April, 2020, 10:59:00 pm »
A 5 mile walk with Molly, my pal Penny's black labrador/weddell seal/hippopotamus. There was a lot of sea wall and it was only a short time after high tide, so there was plenty of water for a wallowing hound to have fun in.

Weather absolutely lovely. The biting NE-erly had gone and there was a gentle breeze, there were no clouds and the temperature was about 18°C, so it was a shirtsleeve walk. And there was wildlife! 12 mute swans, about 10 skylarks, a few pipits of various types or fewer (my pipit-fu is weak), curlews, oystercatchers, a great crested grebe, a marsh harrier, assorted finches (chaffinch, goldfinch, greenfinch) and I heard 2 or 3 cuckoos and saw one of them, taking a pretty rubbish video of it on my phone. But you could hear it cuckooing, and see it flying about a bit if you blew it up to full screen.

I delivered one very tired dog back to her grateful owner.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #23309 on: 24 April, 2020, 12:58:43 pm »
A short ride on my electric upright down an old railway track in S. Staffs. Posh name is a 'Linear Park'.
The surface was noticeably smoother than the road surface that shook my battery out of its shoe three days ago. I won't be going out again without locking it into place!
Fortunately, the white van driver behind me had his wits about him and managed not to run over it.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #23310 on: 24 April, 2020, 04:47:19 pm »
Out again today, on my solo Moulton rather than the tandem. Twelve miles rather than seven, but with hills and no e-assist. Found the saddle rather less than Swift.

It's going to be a long haul back to full fitness.

« Reply #23311 on: 24 April, 2020, 07:23:25 pm »
I think that you are going for my record for losing bits off cycles  nobby    ;D.
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23312 on: 24 April, 2020, 07:49:24 pm »
Went shopping. Forced a white SUV into an emergency stop at a mini-roundabout. I could hear but not see it approaching fast from my left and not slowing down. As there was no other traffic and I was going straight on, I rode slowly on to the roundabout, hands on brakes, Paddington stare at the ready. And it worked.  ;D Possibly he was just assuming no other traffic cos lockdown, but that kind of thing happens frequently at that particular mini-roundabout anyway, but only from that direction.
Couldn't get the things I wanted but found my sister's got them, she might drop them round sometime. Had a good ride round town anyway.

Later up to the Downs. So this is where all the police go...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #23313 on: 25 April, 2020, 01:22:52 pm »
Out yesterday on the Bloo Bike. Fixed wheel, so I aimed for roads.  Found some nice lanes i hadn't been down before, past a fine looking farmhouse restoration. Exposed timbers with woven hurdles inbetween which presumably will have some kind of lime render added. 

Found my way to the A272 and headed east. Saw a sign for the Blue Idol meeting house, so wandered down there. William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania, met there with other Quakers.  The lane changed to a well surfaced bridleway, so I carried on. A turn to the left and I was in CoR territory. The bike was a bit more than mildly inappropriate.  Back onto the road, skirted Shipley then onto Dragon's Green. There's a gravestone in the pub garden, which has a sad story attached to it.

Nearby is the HQ of 1st Shipley Scouts, ther only thatched roof Scout hut in the country. Northwards towards Christ's Hospital I gave it beans to get my heart pumping but still got overhauled by a pair of roadies. Past my local farmshop where I saw their upside down Union flag had been replaced by a rainbow with a unicorn one. Is that an NHS support thing, an LGBT thing or a My Little Pony thing? What ever it stopped the teeth itch the inverted Union flag gave me. 

A bit more CoR on a bridleway and home.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #23314 on: 25 April, 2020, 04:44:52 pm »
100k loop via Moscow, wasn't as cold as i thought it would be.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3350728875
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #23315 on: 25 April, 2020, 05:01:10 pm »
Both yesterday and today out for a smidge under 50km each day on the Airnimal to test it out for comfort over longer distance and to see how well the Brooks is wearing in, positive on both counts.

Yesterday was afternoon, out on a southerly loop, including a couple of the local "hills" not very long but sharp. Gorgeous weather yesterday, bright blue sunshine and a northerly breeze giving me a stonking out lap, but nowhere near as good on the way back.  Bike perfromed spendidly even on the small bit of COR with the 28mm gatorskins.  Predictably perhaps, lots of muggle cyclists in T-shirts on city bikes, and some annoyingly obstinate pedestrians, who decided to play chicken until the last minute on a path that just needed one of them to walk behind the other fo 30 seconds.

Today, out early and underestimated the chill.  I had a base layer on, but went with bib-shorts, really could have done with knee warmers as well.  Nice ride nonetheless and marginally quicker than yesterday, despite seemingly headwind all the way round.  I think it had shifted round to the east so was generally not helping me until the last stretch.  Whilst I was doing a quick mid-ride BG check, I was passed by a guy on an MT. Right, I thought, I'll have him before the end of this road (about another 5km from that point).  I caught him at a level crossing with barriers down about 5.5km later, only to realise I'd been chasing down an E-bike :facepalm:

Anyway I held him off the rest of the way into Ely, including the notorious Col-de-Littleport.  Two full bottles drunk yesterday, just the one today, showing the difference in temperature
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23316 on: 25 April, 2020, 05:59:44 pm »
Cyclists!  Everywhere!  Well, everywhere within about 5 miles of populated areas, anyway, beyond that it's just the lycra lot.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #23317 on: 25 April, 2020, 07:06:48 pm »
No, not today, had a hangover.... :facepalm:

Davef

« Reply #23318 on: 25 April, 2020, 07:19:20 pm »
I had a bit of spin collecting veloviewer squares in the Bedford area. Freezing when I set out. Mainly on road but a few unexpected bits of bridleway where the horsey footprints set in soft mud have now cured hard as concrete. Then queued at supermarket. Sweaty Lycra guarantees 2m exclusion. First shop since lockdown with no missing items.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23319 on: 25 April, 2020, 07:53:24 pm »
Found my way to the A272 and headed east. Saw a sign for the Blue Idol meeting house, so wandered down there. William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania, met there with other Quakers. 
Just north of Bath on the A46 is a place – too small to be called a village – named Pennsylvania. As a very small person I used to be thoroughly confused when told Pennyslvania was in America. That particular Pennsylvania has no connection with William Penn, though there is a monument to his father in St Mary Redcliffe, Bristol, "fairest parish church in all England" ((C) Q. Elizabeth I)

(Ride sounds lovely. :thumbsup:)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #23320 on: 25 April, 2020, 07:57:14 pm »
There's one on the outskirts of Cardiff, as well, very close to Llanedeyrn, where my aunt lived for the last few years of her life.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23321 on: 25 April, 2020, 08:12:23 pm »
Yep, it's actually a fairly common place name. Not all of them connected with the Penn family.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #23322 on: 25 April, 2020, 10:21:40 pm »
Found my way to the A272 and headed east. Saw a sign for the Blue Idol meeting house, so wandered down there. William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania, met there with other Quakers. 
Just north of Bath on the A46 is a place – too small to be called a village – named Pennsylvania. As a very small person I used to be thoroughly confused when told Pennyslvania was in America. That particular Pennsylvania has no connection with William Penn, though there is a monument to his father in St Mary Redcliffe, Bristol, "fairest parish church in all England" ((C) Q. Elizabeth I)

(Ride sounds lovely. :thumbsup:)

I used to drive through that one on my way home from Bath Uni to Oxfordshire
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

S2L

« Reply #23323 on: 26 April, 2020, 12:20:38 pm »
We did drive 15 minutes (apparently it is allowed) and went for a walk in the woods around Lowsonford, not far from Henley in Arden... a revelation... we used to drive miles to see bluebells carpets in the Cotswolds and we have the same a few minutes from home. We also found the largest amount of wild garlic in bloom I have ever seen... I picked a bunch of leaves, but I needed a pannier!!
Tonight it will go in my special mix as pasty filling, together with swede, potatoes, onions and cheese

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #23324 on: 26 April, 2020, 02:13:24 pm »
fine morning pootling around essex on a ss bike