Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2184686 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #18801 on: 14 March, 2024, 05:39:04 pm »
Found the cause of not being able to change gears: The shifter is fine, it's the front derailuer that was seized.

The horrible December audax in subzero temperatures with lashings of salt on wet roads caused that: I broke my standing rule of not riding bikes or motorbikes subzero with loads of salt on the roads - it just eats components for breakfast and costs lots of money.

The transmission spent time in the ultrasonic cleaner - but the chain isn't recoverable. Many links are rusty. Wax lubes are brilliant in normal conditions - but they don't protect from rust: You need a messy wet lube for that.

The RD was fine, and some penetrating and light oil unseized the FD. But it's notchy. It might free up with use, but if not - I've got a spare Sora triple FD in the shed.

I also replaced the inner gear cables and spent a happy ten minutes getting gear changes tuned.

It's not quite good as new - but way better than seized.

I shall repeat the mantra, "Don't ride an audax when there is loads of salt on the road - it isn't worth it!". Even on the fixed gear bike!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18802 on: 14 March, 2024, 06:15:22 pm »
Though in the case of the brake manufacturer “Magura” comes from the company founder's name – MAGenwirth – and his hometown – Bad URAch.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18803 on: 15 March, 2024, 03:03:48 pm »
Halfway to lunch yesterday, stopped for a widdle and managed to push the stem 45° out of alignment parking the bike.  Sorted with multitool. I had done the thing up to 5 Nm as stipulated on the old stem, this one having no inscription. Dunno what it is now.  A case for threadlock, methinks.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #18804 on: 16 March, 2024, 03:47:58 pm »
No, as the pads wear, the arms have to move further in.
They do not move horizontally.
They move in an arc from the pivot.
As they move further in, they also move up.
And skiff the tyre.

This is one of the advantages of those Magura hydraulic rim brakes, which are a lot less pointless than they initially sound.

I think I still have in the parts box one set of old xtr v brakes which are designed to move the pads in consistently.. I didn't buy them got them as warranty replacement for a set of iirc avid magnesium v brakes that corroded but were around 100 quid a pair and that was around 2002

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18805 on: 16 March, 2024, 04:24:41 pm »
Hm... Put two chains through the first 3 stages of my usual 2-stroke => acetone => boiling water => wax-pot process, but after being on the high setting for the last 2 hours the pot is still cool enough to wrap my hands around, whereas it should normally be into ouch territory by now.  Most of the wax has liquefied but I'm not sure it's going to heat up enough to expel all the residual water from the chains.

Pot is (a) 3 years old and (b) Russell Hobbs so I wouldn't be surprised if it has gone phut. Of course it would be the §$%&/( weekend...

ETA fully melted now (18:14) and outside getting hot.  The thing has two heating settings and a 'keep warm' and I had it on #2, but I suspect that it's only heating on the #1 level.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #18806 on: 16 March, 2024, 05:32:28 pm »
No, as the pads wear, the arms have to move further in.
They do not move horizontally.
They move in an arc from the pivot.
As they move further in, they also move up.
And skiff the tyre.

This is one of the advantages of those Magura hydraulic rim brakes, which are a lot less pointless than they initially sound.

I think I still have in the parts box one set of old xtr v brakes which are designed to move the pads in consistently.. I didn't buy them got them as warranty replacement for a set of iirc avid magnesium v brakes that corroded but were around 100 quid a pair and that was around 2002

Avid (used to) make parallel-push V-brakes as well, with a lot less complexity than the XTRs.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #18807 on: 16 March, 2024, 06:42:50 pm »
garden progress

put decking edges together for new height, dug trenches ready for edging, which I need to procure or create from broken slabs.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #18808 on: 16 March, 2024, 06:43:32 pm »
so for now, it looks like this

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #18809 on: 16 March, 2024, 07:04:54 pm »
finally found a picture of how it startedish

« Reply #18810 on: 16 March, 2024, 07:17:31 pm »
Looks slippy!
"I finally found a picture of how it started" is accompanied by a view of Mount Doom in tapatalk. Probably less good as a starting point for some DIY.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

« Reply #18811 on: 16 March, 2024, 07:25:58 pm »
Set up my new Rega turntable today.

"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18812 on: 17 March, 2024, 04:27:25 pm »
Yesterday, reassembled HK’s shiny trike after its trip to Oz.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #18813 on: 17 March, 2024, 04:37:52 pm »
Reorganised the firewood, now all in the wood store instead of under a tarpaulin, and cut up the last pallet.

Cut the grass and pruned the big climbing rose (which has rose mosaic virus but it never appears if the rose is looked after properly). Pulled up some weeds.

Cleaned out the cats' litter tray.

Sprayed the roof of the car.

20240317_160212 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

It's a silly little JDM USB adaptor for the fag lighter socket, with light-up headlamps, and is the same colour as my Jimny.  No-one told the makers that all Chiffon Ivory Jimnys have a contrasting black roof.  But I have a can of Suzuki black metallic from fixing SO's car last year  :)

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #18814 on: 17 March, 2024, 06:44:46 pm »
Tweaked my virtual F-MAX so the badges on the grille and the steering wheel now read “Fnord”.  Because I've seen 'em.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #18815 on: 17 March, 2024, 07:10:12 pm »
New back tyre on the Bloo Bike. New pads on the front of the Pino. That's the first time I've changed disc pads. All went well and the new ones work. Hurrah.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #18816 on: 17 March, 2024, 07:29:12 pm »
What sort?
I've seen these priced a £12.5K

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #18817 on: 17 March, 2024, 07:40:05 pm »
What sort?

The more common Planar 2/3 models are not quite in that range...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #18818 on: 17 March, 2024, 07:42:04 pm »
Reorganised the firewood, now all in the wood store instead of under a tarpaulin, and cut up the last pallet.

Cut the grass and pruned the big climbing rose (which has rose mosaic virus but it never appears if the rose is looked after properly). Pulled up some weeds.

Cleaned out the cats' litter tray.

Sprayed the roof of the car.

20240317_160212 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

It's a silly little JDM USB adaptor for the fag lighter socket, with light-up headlamps, and is the same colour as my Jimny.  No-one told the makers that all Chiffon Ivory Jimnys have a contrasting black roof.  But I have a can of Suzuki black metallic from fixing SO's car last year  :)
Mistake agents call it magnolia – everyone else calls it beige.
Suzuki call it chiffon ivory – it's still beige.  8)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #18819 on: 17 March, 2024, 08:35:46 pm »
It's actually cream (yellow), and not beige at all.  It even says cream on the V5.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #18820 on: 17 March, 2024, 09:32:23 pm »
What sort?

The more common Planar 2/3 models are not quite in that range...

I was looking at getting a P3, but after some time spent in Rayleigh HiFi, decided on a P6 with the Rega RB330 tone arm and Exact (MM) Cartridge.

Package price is set to rise a bit above £1.4k in the next two weeks. If you are thinking of getting a deck, do it now and save enough to buy a couple of new vinyl albums!

It is better than the rest of my system, and I have noticed greater clarity in cymbals over the previous turntable/tone arm/ cartridge combination JVC /Ortofon VMS3. The turntable doesn't add any noise to the sound. At all. The previous setup was prone to transmitting sounds from vibrations and shocks - like the lid closing etc.

The previous quartz locked turntable (JVC QL-A51) is still going strong and is now assisting some friends whose turntable dying was the nudge I needed to getting my system its upgrade. I bought it in the early 1980s, so I don't think it owed me anything!
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

Feanor

« Reply #18821 on: 17 March, 2024, 10:01:09 pm »
Sounds all a bit spendy.
I'll stick with my 30 year old vinyl-scratcher setup.

I did have to have the MC cartridge re-built at Great Expense a couple of years ago, on account of it being destroyed by the Very Smalls when they were Very Small, about 20 years ago...

It's actually quite reassuring to know that there are a very few number of people around who still possess the skill to re-build a MC cartridge.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #18822 on: 17 March, 2024, 10:20:24 pm »
I too bought a Rega turntable  :thumbsup: A long time ago  :-\

Feanor

« Reply #18823 on: 17 March, 2024, 10:28:45 pm »
I too bought a Rega turntable  :thumbsup: A long time ago  :-\

Yes, they were the step up from the Dual CS-505 which was the entry-level in those days!
There was more than one of those turntables between a few of us in those days.

I remember I had to fettle one of them where a power resistor on the phase-shift board for the start-winding on the motor had expired from too much heat, and charred the board for good measure.
I think I off-boarded it to a better heat-sunk wirewound...

Pre-Internet, I think I had to dismantle a non-fucked one (it might even have been yours!) to measure the resistance of what the non-fucked resistor should be!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18824 on: 18 March, 2024, 03:25:47 pm »
Declared the Mavic Open Pro rim of my SON wheel dead. The Iwanson gauge still says min 1mm everywhere but the braking surface is looking very hollow so I can't trust it any more.  Swapped it for the SP-8 wheel and swapped the connectors accordingly.  Also swapped the GP4000s + Michelin tube on it for the Durano + Slime tube from the SON wheel.  The tyre had no internal green splats so I surmise that the Durano, with 13,000 km on it,  is damn near bomb-proof. Tread's still there.